Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021-04 .. 2021-09]

looks great René; what is the small disc in the lower right corner?

also, IIRC, you’ve switched to a macbook from an iPad pro?

That’s a Surface Dial for controlling Roon with @DrCWO’s RooDial extension. While it is a controller for Roon, it controls the volume on the LSX’s when other sources are playing as well. :slight_smile:

My employer issued a round of new MacBooks, so I’m M1 MBP at the moment. Still on the fence about the beast that is the new iPad Pro (16GB/2TB anyone?) – but the dichotomy between hard- and software is holding me back. Maybe iPadOS 15 will offer a few surprises to pull me back in again… :wink:

3 Likes

Hi there,
I’ve been following this thread for one year now; I’m very impressed with all the great setups and beautiful systems and their environments!

Living room:

• Pair of custom built Duetta Top ADW speakers (on hidden Hypex FA122 amps)
  • Pair of custom built Ripol subwoofers (on hidden Hypex FA502 amp)
  • Preamp and streaming bridge Trinnov Amethyst
  • Customized Pro-Ject Debut 3 / Ortofon 2M red
  • Roon Rock on NUC Intel i5

For more traditional content, we often use our Rock-Ola Capri II (for example for Saturday morning cleaning session =D)

Bedroom:

• Custom built stereo speaker with integrated Hifi-Berry streaming amp

56 Likes

Nice to see Trinnov equipment in that thread. I just got a ST2-Hifi since a few days and I know already it will change my approach to HiFi. It is a definite paradigm change.

I will have passive correction installed in July in my stereo listening room.

I will detail my system then more after that.

1 Like

Just “updated” my PC room system, nice little fleawatt tube amp with just my Chromecast Audio puck as a source as it only has a single analog input. I may add a passive switch if I feel the need to add the Nak cassette deck back into the mix.
The Chromecast works flawlessly as it should as it sits only about 4 feet from the router…lol and it streams up to 24/96 which is more than adequate for this rig.
Enjoy!

12 Likes

What makes the Amethyst most valuable in my case is the flawless bass management, as a part of the room calibration.
Unfortunately, my possibilities are limited in regards to passive correction, so I’m looking very forward to more details about your system then.
Have fun with your ST2-Hifi!

2 Likes

Who makes that cute little amp?

APPJ Mini 2013
No idea if still made, I bought used from fleabay

There’s another project I’m currently in. It’s based on the DIY-kit Jazz 37. My goal was to combine a, let’s call it semi-active, and passive speaker within one. Well aware that it’s not the “audiophile” way, but I like tinkering and building things :slightly_smiling_face:. The Jazz 37 can be powered by an external amp connected to the terminals or by an integrated, roon ready Hifiberry AMP2 (speakers connected through XLR-wires). Both Hifiberry Amp2 and terminals are then connected to a switch, which connects one or the other to the passive crossover. Only issue currently is that there’s no room yet to use these speakers :laughing:.

Once finished and a location is found, I’ll get into REW room correction and its implementation into Roon, as described here: A guide how to do room correction and use it in Roon

Will get back with more details and experiences made then.

25 Likes

My main setup:

My office setup:

37 Likes

Beautiful speakers and subs! I’d love to hear a bit more about those Ripole subs. I’ve been thinking of building a pair myself.

1 Like

Kevin,

Is that a ‘29 Roadster on ‘32 frame on your shelf there? I have a bit of an eye for old car stuff as my Dad use to restore Hot Rods for his customers. Looks like maybe a smaller #cale 34 Ford coupe next to it?

Sweet office system!

Great eyes Larry!
I think it is a 34 Ford but the hot rod is unknown, picked both up at fleamarkets, yes I spend too much time at those as well, can still be a great source for vinyl although just about everybody now thinks their old beat up scratched junk records are worth a fortune!

1 Like

Amazing set up Max. I still think the Reel to Reel is a most stunning peace of Hi-Fi.

5 Likes

I see 3 Reel to Reel decks, one of which looks familiar to me.
The Technics RS-1506. I still have mine from 1978 … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

i love all of this, and particularly the two pioneer R2R, which look pristine. The RT707 was the sexiest piece of hifi gear i’ve ever owned.

2 Likes

I use to have a Tandberg deck back in the day…something about having it outfitted with 10" aluminum spools that made me feel like I had a recording and playback set up…“like the big boys”. Always wondered what it would be like to have 30 ips tapes…but mine never spun that fast… :smirk:

3 Likes

If you had 30ips reels and a decent deck (most of those capable of 30ips were) you wouldn’t want to deal ever with anything DSD, HiRes, Streaming, MQA or any other modern approach to what listening should be.

Well for sure never owned Studer or anything like it!..I think used they still go for $10K…but wasn’t tape hiss still an issue back then…Nothing like that shows up on Digital files…unless its master was from tape…

A thing that most are still ignoring today: all those masters Tidal and others are talking about, are tapes!

3 Likes