Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021-04 .. 2021-09]

Some quick and dirty shots of the system in our recently remodelled Lounge.

Voyd turntable & Audio Synthesis Phono amp for vinyl duties;
Theta Jade Transport for CD replay;
Innuos Zenith mk2 SE as Roon bridge/server from NUC6i5;
Vitus Audio SD-025 for DAC/streamer;
Vitus Audio SIA-025 Amp;
Wilson-Benesch ACT speakers.

42 Likes

Absolutely stunning!
Thank you for sharing this.

1 Like

Either sliding shelves or rear access? How in the hell did you hook it all up otherwise? Love the TV well in the wall! Only odd item is that top component…Just like the Laughing Gnome who posted above me!

You are right, hooking it up is a PITA :grin:. Need to start at the bottom unit and work up - I try not to do it too often :sweat:. That odd item - the laughing gnome - is our clock, a bit fancy I know, but remarkably accurate still, as long as you remember to wind it up :thinking:.

1 Like

I thought it might be bottom and work upwards saga, been there and done that no fun!

I think our friend @LarryMagoo was jokingly referring to your turntable as he considers my predilection for vinyl quite amusing :innocent:

1 Like

All in the know know vinyl sounds best……

2 Likes

Actually, if you look at our clock and compare it to your gnome avatar they do have a similar shape :thinking: :grinning:

1 Like

…and looks much better…

The latest generation turntable streams directly to the TV :wink:

4 Likes

Like the new avatar BTW! You caught on to my TT comment, eh? :wink:

1 Like

Wait just a dang minute….a TT that streams VIDEO to a monitor??? What the hell is this world coming too??? :flushed:

There was a format back in the 1980’s - the videodisc -Video Discs | Museum of Obsolete Media which was actually, as the name implies video on a disc

3 Likes

Believe it or not there is still a cult following of the videodisc or laserdisc or whatever they called it back then.
Never owned one but you still see them for sale on eBay and similar sites.

Edit.
Just took a look on eBay and there’s hundreds of the darn players and even more of the discs themselves…
Fascinating!

2 Likes

When I listen to vinyl it never fails to stun me with just how good it can sound, provided of course I’m listening to a good mastering and pressing of a full analog recording. For example “Storms” by the late Nanci Griffith (1989) mixed by Glyn Johns and mastered by Doug Sax. Completely the sonic equal to the 16bit/44.1kHz streamed version.

But then that damned inconvenience thing rears it’s ugly head and I’m back to streaming :rofl: Although the LP sized artwork is a very nice bonus.

4 Likes

I like to call it Dead Tech

Totally agree with you - some vinyl has stunning sound quality and I do have the occasional vinyl binge. Apart from anything it is good exercise, getting up and down to change sides, and records :smiley:. …but like you, I do then revert to the lazy convenience of Roon, or streaming :joy:

2 Likes

I am afraid that if all I had was Roon to stream I would become a couch potato!
I actually enjoy the whole vinyl experience and interaction from the cleaning of records to the stylus setup to the finished results…sonic bliss.

And the thrill of the hunt in our lrs is still keeping me interested rather than just click and search on the iPad for example.

Takes all sorts though!

9 Likes

I gave away all the records, but kept my record player. Every now and then I have to digitize something and thus make it available for Roon. The cover is also photographed and embedded.

It took me 50 years to realize that it was not a loss for me. I have had many good conversations about each record when giving it away and was pleased that there were new music lovers for almost everything.

3 Likes

I am so happy that my post about the sound of vinyl did NOT invoke a flame war but instead resulted in a series of very insightful posts. Thank you all for bringing a bit civility to our little corner of the internet. Much appreciated!

10 Likes

Wow, back in the ‘80’s, I had a Pioneer LaserDisc player. :laughing:

5 Likes

my favorite Nanci Griffith album.

someone created a video of everyone one of her Letterman appearances, worth seeking out not just for the wonderful music, but for the evolving fashion and hairstyles.

1 Like