Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

love seeing the Transporter, a design truly ahead of its time. do you use the analog out? I always did with mine.

2 Likes

Love my Transporter. I use the analog out (XLR, balanced).

1 Like

Great WAF with the high gloss reflecting the flowers! Just lose the tennis shoe… :athletic_shoe: :grinning:

Same here , analogue XLR out

Gentle call out, “aesthetic appeal” is a much better term than “Wife Approval Factor”. My wife certainly favours function over form (which is a plus for me :wink: ). The forum’s short on a few demographics, no need to put them off with stereotypical tropes.

7 Likes

Beautiful speakers

I will use your suggestion in the future :+1: I do believe that a woman’s point of view regarding audio aesthetics is not identical to a man’s. It’s not meant as a demeaning, stereotypical trope. I have no problem saying both sexes can be in pursuit of audio bliss. “Gently” portraying someone as misogynist by the belief that the two sexes have multiple POV regarding form over function paints me with a broad brush. I don’t believe the acronym WAF sprang from Neanderthal Man.

3 Likes

TBC, I’m certainly not implying that either you or that POV is misogynistic. That’s a strong term indeed and not one I’d use lightly. I really didn’t mean to imply it, however gently. For me, everyone’s different and macro generalisations based on gender, culture, etc., say little about individuals.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply! Your point
*For me, everyone’s different and macro generalisations based on gender, culture, etc., say little about individuals.
it seems that what were formerly everday terms have become subject to scrutiny. Terms like WAF, man, woman, binary…et al, are now all fair game for readers to use in determining a person’s views. Many such terms deserve it. I suppose it means that for me I need to police my writing more thoroughly in order to see it thru the lens of any readers who may be impacted by such tropes. I would never want to offend anyone who would interpret my words as an affront to their views.

2 Likes

As an editor in a former life (well, maybe we always are), I pay attention to these things. It’s easy to cringe when behavioral characteristics are painted with a broad brush…

But some households definitely can speak to their own Wife Acceptance Factor.

I know mine did. My dear wife didn’t want any visible signs of audio gear in the main living space, preferring speakers to be parked discretely behind a couch, and electronics hidden in a closet.

I lost her to breast cancer about four years ago, and I miss her greatly. I’ve probably gone overboard since, but I now have several sets of speakers in the main living space, and I have a turntable in the dining room. I think it looks cool, but we all have our limits!

Perhaps there are some women on the forum whose male partners share my late wife’s gear-free aesthetic. Maybe “Spouse Acceptance Factor” is a better term.

10 Likes

…and back on topic, where’s the pics :wink:

2 Likes

“WAF” is perfectly acceptable to my wife and myself. In my house, there is zero “WAF” for speakers in the family room where I listen to music.

Very nice system but your view is breathtaking :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Looks really cozy!

Where’s your other sub located? I’m assuming you run both at the same time.

Hi,

Configuration 2.2 (2 ported mains, 2 sealed subs)

One sub, in front, a little ahead of the left main, placed at 90 degrees from the axis of the mains
One sub, placed laterally to MLP, right wall, placed at 90 degrees from the axis of the mains (not on the picture)

Butterworth 24db/oct filter for the 80hz crossover

2 Likes

This isn’t my main system, thats currently packed away pending our house move. But, I decided to venture into the world of Ropiee and built a Rpi equipped with a DAC/AMP Hat for my office and utilised a pair of B&W CM1 that were gathering dust in their box. This was really just a bit of a project to be honest, but I’m quite surprised how good it sounds when you consider the cost of building one of these little Rpi endpoints.

33 Likes

My WAF led to this (first picture) to hide these (second picture; left CD’s and BluRay’s and right SACD’s) and now with streaming I hardly ever open the doors anymore…

48 Likes

Your cabinets are very nice.

How do you access the rear of your components?

1 Like

You’ve identified the one thing I would do differently in a “do over.” There is a channel that runs behind the top drawer along the back of all the components that is vented to the top through the marble. But it requires me to pull the component forward to make wiring changes - that, in turn, means enough extra cabling to allow components to be pulled forward (adding meaningfully to required length). In a do-over, I would have had them cut a panel in the marble top that could be lifted out to make wiring changes from above. Nice catch!

3 Likes

If i can go my whole life without ever needing to be in a room with that loser ill be happy. :wink: