Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

I’m still not decided, I know I have till 30 for a lower price :slight_smile: And I know what you are going to say :slight_smile:

Edit: undecided about the life subscription

2 Likes

I keep 3 copies of all playlist. One Tidal, one Qobuz, and a local copy. The local copy is usually Qobuz links. I never mix Tidal and Qobuz links in one playlist. If I ever decide to get rid of one or the other service, I want the remaining playlist to work properly.

5 Likes

Jim, your posts always make me smile. Thanks!

5 Likes

@Rnlifer - I have heard that the AES/EBU connection is magical! The is probably the path I will take even though DSD is not supported. May I ask… since the Tambaqui and MU1 both perform oversampling, do you adjust any settings on the Tambaqui?

My amplifier and speakers are sublime - musical, natural and detailed - especially together. I love the pairing.

No over/upsampling adjustments to the Tambaqui are available as far as I know, and none needed (you can adjust output level and balance and that is about it). Even though it didn’t make sense to me to use the 4fs setting for the Grimm given all that the Tambaqui does, the ears know better.

I am confident that an in-home demo will result in the Grimm joining your other fine gear. It is truly a special piece and Grimm is a great company. And they continue to expand and improve the software.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind response. I’ve had two weeks with my Tambaqui and am still getting to know it. I wasn’t aware that Grimm provides in-home demo opportunities. That’s wonderful!

I look forward to experiencing the MU1.

1 Like

Did you ever figure out what happened last time when your core suddenly became unavailable using ARC?

I don’t remember exactly. I think it had to do with my AT&T U-Verse router, IIRC. That’s the problem with Roon ARC and Roon ARC CarPlay. All the stars have to be in perfect alignment for it to work. Apple Music just works all the time.

3 Likes

New rack in place and everything ready for some XMas listening.

Now to pull the trigger on that lifetime payment. :christmas_tree::notes:

32 Likes

You are welcome. The in-home demo was provided by a Grimm authorized dealer. It is helpful if the demo unit has some hours on it and to keep it powered on the entire demo period.

Speaking of which, the Tambaqui, like most digital, takes a while to sound its best. You may find that it improves somewhat over the next few weeks. Enjoy!

@Rnlifer - I am looking forward to the Tambaqui opening up in time.

I called my local dealer in the San Francisco bay area. Sadly, they refuse to provide an in-home demo of the MU1. You are fortunate in that respect.

Going to a showroom to hear it really will not give me any sense of the synergy with or impact on my system so I would have to buy it and hope for the best.

What’s their return policy?

I thought about that. i’ll have to check. The local distributor is selling the unit for over $2000 more than direct from Grimm.

I could buy it from the dealer and give it a few weeks of break if the return policy is that long and then order it direct from Grimm if i like it but that would be wrong. lol

they wouldn’t provide a demo to me either (and lost my business).

Paul at https://analogaudio-mn.com is the guy to call. Contact info at the bottom of the landing page of his website. Good guy.

1 Like

thanks for the tip. i’ll get in touch with Paul. The local dealer lost my business too.

Are you in the bay area as well?

That local dealer is a store that moves boxes. I prefer a dealer who lives with and knows the products he sells.

Not in the bay area but only 870 miles away in Arizona.

1 Like

UsTubeAudio?

Very nice. The KEF’s look bloody gorgeous on those stands.

1 Like

Thanks, yes I was contemplating putting them up on some solidsteel stands but am quite happy with the KEF ones (got them for a really good price).

1 Like

So I finally decided that I was probably never going to get a huge house with a dedicated listening room and had to make the best of my apartment. Space is at a premium and getting the wiring out of the way was also a big consideration. A reno of the whole place just provided the perfect opportunity.
Here’s the list

LCR speakers - Focal In-wall 1000 IWLCR UTOPIA
Rear speakers - Focal In-Wall 1000 IWLCR6
Subs - JL Audio In-wall 8"
Amps - McIntosh MX123 A/V Processor
- McIntosh MC255 5 x 200 Watt Power Amplifier
- JL Audio 600 Watt Sub Amp
DAC/Streamer - Sim Audio Moon 680D
Reavon UBR-X110
Roon core on SilentPC Akasa fanless pc, also holding my music library and running Minimserver and Plex server
QNAP NAS holding music library backup, tv and movie files
TV - Sony OLED 83"

56 Likes