Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

I thought so, I had four of them until I dispensed with Jewel cases and opted for polythene sleeves, now I have 1 (plus 1 in store for future use).

3 Likes

Wonderful system and also really well presented :blush:. Do you also feed the TV audio to the system somehow?

1 Like

You have nice equipments congratulations. I know somebody with good financial capabilities. He bought the whole Nagra Classic stack and the performance was not that impressive. The dealer recommended him to upgrade to HD and pay the crazy difference. The upgrade was not imrossive also. I am comparing wit German Brands live Burmaster and AVM. He also bought GoldMund crazy expensive wireless speakers and their performance was also OK. He was advised by GoldMund in switzerland to buy a subwoofer to improve the bass :smile:. A question mark on the performance of swiss brands in Audio?

What about MSB performance compared to an FPGA DAC like Esoteric or Chord? I tried also their top of the line and was not so satisfied. The MSB sounded musical but flat. FPGA DACs decode in 3D.

Sorry I do not mean to undermine your premium equipments as perhaps you know more on how to optimize their installations.

1 Like

singlehandedly dismissing “Swiss brands in Audio” seems a bit farfetched, don’t you think?

I have not heard AVM but have only good things to say about Burmester.

Horses for courses I guess…

4 Likes

@Yiannis_Kouropalatis
The homecinema works with a Marantz NR1608 amp.
The Marantz manages the center speaker (KEF R200) and surround speakers (KEF Q150) and subwoofer.
On the Marantz I use the “Pre out front” output to the Cyrus to amplify the main speakers (KEF R700).

The homecinema includes the following elements
Panasonic TX-65GZ1500, Panasonic DP-UB820, AppleTV

Sorry for my basic english, my language is french.

7 Likes

Your English is pretty good, no need to apologise :pray:t4:

5 Likes

A guy was visiting my recently remodeled house, came across the Meridian DSP8000 pair, and said “you don’t have heated floors?”

“They are speakers, not space heaters!”

10 Likes

Great looking room! That new Moderat album is fantastic as well. :blush:

1 Like

@TuliaNonTroppo
I love Moderat :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’m going to see them in concert in October in Brussels.
Can’t wait to be there

2 Likes

Been doing a lot of experimenting lately which has gotten my vinyl system closer to where I want it. The past couple of weeks have included a new record clamp/weight, a new Nasotec swivel headshell, four different cartridges (more importantly the stylus type), and various alignments. The fifth cartridge is arriving tomorrow which will hopefully put an end to my experimenting and/or search as it is technically the best of both worlds (cartridge type and stylus type).

Naturally, the higher quality the stylus, the more detail and stereo separation there is, and with less surface noise and vanishing IGD. The Nasotec headshell cleans everything up that much more. A very clean and solidified sound overall, even more defined stereo separation, and bass that seems more effortless and open. Quite an interesting headshell that I’m glad I discovered.

Nagaoka M-110

Sumiko Blue Point No.3

Ortofon 2M Bronze

Ortofon 2M Black

9 Likes

Lately? :laughing:

Know what you mean about carts.
I went straight for the Sumiko Starling and never looked back.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s kind of the route I took with the cart that’s arriving tomorrow, though it’s not a Sumiko. In fact, my Sumiko is in the mail, heading back to Crutchfield for a refund.

1 Like

What did you settle on?

An Audio-Technica AT-OC9XSL.

4 Likes

Coucou @Amelie

You have a great setup, congratulations! I’m also a huge fan of KEF and considering buying a OLED Panasonic (JZ1500 or LZ1500) and KEF R5 as I will have a small apartment.

I have 2 questions for you:

1. Why a sub? I thought your R700 would be enough in terms of bass, no?
  2. Which amp are you using for hifi and what was the rationale to pick yours rather than another one?

En français :

1. Pourquoi as-tu un caisson de basse? Je pensais que tes KEF délivreraient assez de basses, non?
  2. Quel ampli utilises-tu et pourquoi ce choix?

Merci !!

1 Like

Merci @Gigatoaster :blush:

En français:

J’utilise le subwoofer uniquement pour le homecinéma.
Effectivement, en mode hifi, les KEF R700 délivrent assez de basses.
La hifi est construite avec des éléments de la marque Cyrus.
L’amplification étant assurée par deux Cyrus XPower (avec les PSX-R).
La partie homecinema est assurée par l’ampli Marantz (NR1608) qui alimente le central KEF R200, les surround KEF Q150 et le subwoofer Mission
Sur le Marantz, la sortie « Pre out front » est câblée vers l’amplification Cyrus pour alimenter les enceintes principales (KEF R700)

A la question de savoir pourquoi ce choix…
Au début des années 90, un ami m’a conseillé et aidé pour l’achat d’un système hifi.
Il était fan de la marque Cyrus. Il possédait un petit ensemble Cyrus avec des enceintes Mission qui fonctionnait super bien. Et comme j’aimais beaucoup cette sonorité et surtout le look de la marque Cyrus (petit, discret…), mon choix s’est porté sur Cyrus. A l’époque j’avais un Cyrus IIIi avec un PSX-R… et des enceintes Mission 753.
Avec les années, mon ensemble Cyrus a évolué petit à petit… pour en arriver à un système que je trouve très cohérent.
J’apprécie le « mariage » Cyrus/Kef, je n’ai plus cette fatigue auditive que je ressentais avec les Mission. J’écoute énormément de musique

In english:

I only use the subwoofer for homecinema.
Indeed, in hifi mode, the KEF R700 deliver enough bass. The hifi is built with Cyrus elements. Amplification is provided by two Cyrus XPower (with the PSX-R).
The homecinema part is provided by the Marantz amplifier (NR1608) which supplies the central speaker (KEF R200), the surround speakers (KEF Q150) and the subwoofer (Mission)
On the Marantz, the output “Pre out front” is wired to the Cyrus PreXPD QX (Input AV) for the main speakers (KEF R700)

To the question of knowing why this choice…
At the beginning of the 90s, a friend advised me and helped me to buy a hifi system.
He was a fan of the Cyrus brand. He had a small Cyrus set with Mission speakers that worked great. And as I really liked this sound and especially the look of the Cyrus brand (small, discreet…), my choice fell on Cyrus.
At the time I had a Cyrus IIIi with a PSX-R… and Mission 753 speakers.
Over the years, my Cyrus set has evolved little by little… to arrive at a system that I find very coherent.
I appreciate the Cyrus/Kef “marriage”, I no longer have that auditory fatigue that I felt with the Missions. I listen to a lot of music

5 Likes

I have multiple Roon endpoints around the house, this is my main 2ch system…
Cambridge Audio CXA81 amp
Cambridge Audio CXNV2 Roon ready endpoint
Monitor Audio Silver 300 speakers
This is my view whilst listening :slightly_smiling_face:

56 Likes

Wow, what an amazing view. In which area do you live?

2 Likes

Graham what a great view from the listening chair.
I think I would spend most of my day there.

3 Likes

Check the DC Filter by ATL Audio. I had the same issue with my Hegel H300 and the filter made quite a difference to the hum

1 Like