Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2023]

I have the Dac 2 and I forgot how to adjust the volume on it. It’s connected to my Naim but it’s like 3/4ths volume and it’s supposed to be set automatic right?

I don’t consider I have a large enough room to accommodate room treatments (I would need bass traps & others) however @Jazzfan_NJ (many thanks) recommended Room correction using your iPhone and HouseCurve which I tried yesterday and my initial results are impressive. I think I will be able to resolve my booming bass problem with a little more tweaking.

1 Like

Probably another post is warranted. But… WRONG!

I joke, kind of… for me sound hitting my ears AND my body is MUCH more gratifying than headphones. I have some great cans, but it is not the same. I do believe that the best audio experience requires more than ears. Music is felt by the body in addition to sensed by the ears. Sorry for the detour this is probably off topic…

Edit: I created another topic so as not to derail this one: Are headphones a substitute for speakers?

I mean no offense, we all do what we do…. But we can have an entertaining argument!

3 Likes

Calibration/HT mode selection is on P16.

You can also adjust the output gain on the XLR outputs by moving the internal jumpers around - P25 onwards.

1 Like

I must admit I am quite new to the topic of room treatment. However, I have been experimenting with convolution filters to correct for the room response and my experience so far is that you can limit the peaks, but it is really difficult to fill the dips in the frequency response. Seems like you can pump endless energy to fill the dips without a good result. I guess that is where room treatment is a better solution to take away energy absorbers in the room.

Probably good to start a separate thread on this topic. :slight_smile:

BR,
Richard

2 Likes
1 Like

Without stating the obvious, a null is a point of cancellation

Adding more energy just self cancels

2 Likes

Finished the renovations except for acoustic treatments coming in a few months.

New racks arrived today. I haven’t played anything on Roon yet because I’m addicted to the sound of my TT after having had it mothballed for nearly 6 months. Delrin separators between shelves has tightened-up the vinyl playback. Wow.

40 Likes

Not to worry since I’m not the least bit offended. I pretty much agree with you…up to a point and that point is that high quality headphones sound better than low quality speakers. However I will continue this discussion on the new thread that you so graciously created. :grin:

2 Likes

very nice! can I find out what shelves those are?

Local Aussie craftsman ITSaRACKIT HiFi shelving - modular audio shelf system made in Australia by Sonic Art.

1 Like

Hmm, may have to undo my like with TT comments :grinning:

Kidding, lovely space, definitely post an update when treatments are in place. That should really transform your space :+1:

What are your room dims and care to share your acoustic plans?

Here’s an artist’s impression of what the room will be like when treatment is in. The crappy beige is actually going to be a light ash grey - the 3d scan of the room for the “before” render that they then use to build on the elevations showing the panels was not very good with colour accuracy!

Room is 5.8m wide, but about 15m long - behind the viewing perspective in the pic above, is about another 9m of living area with a dining table and kitchen at the far end. Plenty of little spill areas to dissipate sound.

18 Likes

Nice! That’s a large space for sure (19ft x 50ft for us non metric people :slight_smile: ) Very exciting. Hope all goes well, good luck

1 Like

Lovely room . And ONE chair , negotiations with Mrs. ElTel afoot ??

I remember dearly my first ever house , only just started work .

ONE Chair
2 Speakers
One small equipment rack

not even a coffee table.

SIMPLICTY ahhh … At that stage more importantly no wife just music. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Liberal poetic licence from Artnovion’s creative department using the 3D scans taken.

In actual fact, as part of the reno, Mrs Tel decided new couches were on. So we have his 'n hers La-Z-Boy recliners in the listening sweet spot now (I took these prior to the new hi-fi racks arriving, but you get the idea:

29 Likes

I like real life more than the artist’s impression. :slight_smile: Looks very nice!

1 Like

Hello All, I just finished my Roon setup. I’m new to the audio world and have a small space, so I tried to keep it simple.

Evo 150, with MonitorAudio Speakers:

Panamax Power Conditioner under the stand:

Roon Server is running in my Vmware lab:

I don’t know much about audio so any constructive criticism, or tips/tricks to improve the setup are welcome.

Phil

42 Likes

Enjoy the music! Looks good.

Just to let you know, Roon does not officially support virtual environments…

The speakers look a bit close together, try 3 m apart for a start …

6 Likes