Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

My current setup consists mostly of second hand Linn equipment. I had the opportunity to “start again” when we moved to our new home and decided to build an “all-Linn” setup.

While Linn prides itself as a company that provides (constant) upgrade paths for their products, it seems that I have more or less reached the end-state of the system - the last multichannel pre-amp that they offered is the Akurate Kontrol from 2009, which I’m using. To upgrade, I would have to drop the multichannel setup and return to 2.x. (Or, if I would win the lottery, I could build an active multichannel system but that would require a silly amount of money for their active speakers and the digital front end(s)).

Currently most of my listening is with Roon, supported with a Rube Goldberg-like mashup of software, just to allow me to insert Dirac Live room correction in the digital domain. It works but it is a shame that Roon does not allow a more elegant way of inserting VST-plugins to the signal chain…

I’ve also started investing in acoustic treatments, as you can see from the large(ish) acoustic panel on the back wall. I will install micro-perforated acoustic curtains next and behind the curtains I have more acoustic panels hidden from view. Eventually I’m hoping to add a removable panel to the first reflection point from the windows, to be used for more serious listening sessions.

The hardware chain in brief: Linn KRDS/1 ∧ Sondek LP12 ∧ Oppo 105D :arrow_forward: Linn AK/D :arrow_forward: Linn AV5125/D :arrow_forward: Linn A242 ∧ Stax 3170

15 Likes