Signal Path clarification needed when streaming MQA

It’s a pi in there I think, or I might be confusing that with the holo red, but I doubt it would use USB. Seems a bit odd but perhaps the streaming module is a bit of a hack.

1 Like

I don’t know what you’re trying to get at? As far as I’m concerned, the OP did clarify the situation and it is clear why he gets a lossless audio signal path when connecting the DAC via built-in streamer module (Roon can’t see the MQA decoder step performed on the DAC because he is hidden behind a one-way digital audio connection).
I don’t know why you believe the module might use USB to the DAC, claiming that over USB the MQA rendering gets reported while the OP wonders that he gets a lossless signal path (which he wouldn’t if the step got reported).

Probably, a Pi doesn’t look like this:

https://fcdn.goodq.top/caches/af56fccd3d868d40d5833a3291cab29c/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ndXN0YXJkLmNuL3FmeS1jb250ZW50L3VwbG9hZHMvMjAyMi8xMC82NTZlNTc4NjRmZDc1YThhMWI3MDM3Mjc5N2Y2YmJhOS5qcGc_p_p100_p_3D.jpg

1 Like

Not sure what you’re on about but this clearly shows USB. The bridge is the gustard R26 and clearly shows USB. If MQA settings are also not chosen correctly it often doesn’t report back. I’ve had Roon not show any MQA after RAAT but on a core/device reboot it would rectify

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying. To clear this mess up, the OP probably needs support from the manufacturers, Silent Angel for the mess reported when their product is used as a streamer to the DAC over USB (their doing or wrong reported by the DAC?) and Gustard for the reporting/not reporting steps and USB (may as well be used internally on the module but who knows … it’s not explained in their marketing materials).

2 Likes

Just to summarise:

Scenario 1 (Roon Server —> Roon Endpoint Streamer M1T —> R26 DAC via USB
The signal path is enhanced, but the streamer behaviour is odd:

Scenario 2 (Roon Server —> Roon Endpoint DAC Gustard R26 via Ethernet
The signal path is in theory lossless, but probably the communication with the DAC is not correct about MQA processing:

Scenario 3 (new, just tested) Roon Server —> Roon Endpoint DAC Gustard R26 via USB
The signs path is enhanced, Roon seems to be aware of the lossy MQA decoding of the DAC:

Eventually, the third scenario seems to be the more realistic one.

1 Like