Signalyst DSC-1 DSD DAC

1 dac pcb left

Hi Koen (@BoyZonderman )

When you are ordering your boards will your supplier provide a Gerber file or ā€œcreamā€ layer that can then be used to etch a solder paste stencil ?

The supplier for my board explicitly says they canā€™t provide that, but yours might be different and I sense that a stencil can save a lot of time correcting any SMT reflow solder bridges etc.

Edit: Of course, having your supplier provide a stencil would be even better.

My curiosity regarding DSD 512 is going to be assagued with a Holo Audio Spring (stage 2). I still intend to build the DSC-1 but it will be a slower project than even first contemplated. Strictly for fun.

Mouser in Australia has the Nichecon 22uF 50v UKZ Muse Electrolytics on backorder until May 2017. I tried a Canadian parts supplier who returned my money saying it would take them 8 weeks to get stock. I opted to buy some on eBay from Hong Kong, but there does seem to be a continuing supply issue for hi quality electrolytics.

Just curious why you pulled the trigger on the Holo vs the much touted T+A DAC8 DSD.

T+A DAC 8 DSD - AUD $4,600
Holo Audio Spring (Stage 2) - AUD $2,330

My current DAC (Auralic Vega) has a resale value of about AUD $2,200. Iā€™ve sold my Aries and the proceeds will build a new DSD 512 capable server.

I also like the design of the Holo Spring (sounds like a mattress !). Itā€™s the same concept as the DSC1, but implemented in quadruple. One doubling for the linearity control and another for a balanced output.

I think itā€™s a bargain and if silver is your bag then the silver toroidal transformer in Stage 3 could also be a bargain. But silverā€™s not my bag baby.

Thank god for this thread, hardly any discussion of 1.3ā€¦

2 Likes

Oh wow thatā€™s very nice!

Maybe you should have a look here:
http://www.chip-area.com/ukz1h220mpm.html
29 left

I really like to hear that dac, too bad itā€™s nowhere near to hear

I could have ordered a stencil with the pcbs, but I chose not to.
The board Iā€™m using is mostly through hole and Iā€™m trusting on my solder skills with the surface mounted parts.
I can always make a stencil myself with the earlier mentioned method.

1 Like

Ya, Chip Area Electronics was who I ordered from. Nicolai Gulbago refunded me and said 5-8 weeks to restock.

HK suppliers on eBay had some for me, arriving early Feb.

Hey Andrew, enjoying your Holo?
did you receive the ordered parts?

My PCBā€™s are on the snail mail from china, finallyā€¦ I can order all year and I ordered 1 week before their new yearā€¦ lol

In the mean time I have put my solder skills to the test and built a No Dac. (a simple RC filter with mute).

too bad that I messed up my usb board, have too wait for a new boardā€¦

1 Like

Hi Koen,

I got the Nichekon caps, but have been heavily distracted by the Holo Audio Spring and new music Server (some bad RAM was a setback).

Loving the Spring and have put the Vega up for sale also. Also got some other audio stuff to do and a trial starting on 6 March at work ! So I will be hastening slowly. The rationale for the project has lost urgency now that the Spring lets me listen to upsampled DSD 512.

see my new project
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DSC1/index.html

3 Likes

This is great idea. Congrats for the great project.
I wish I was capable of doing this kind of stuff.
Hopefully you can compare to commercial DACā€™s and share your insights.

The DSC1 v2.6 looks very interesting. Will it be sold as a complete product (for those of us who donā€™t have the skill to make one with the plans)? Thank you.

1 Like