Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC does DSD512

Check out my review on this DAC…
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=245672.0

This DAC has built-in hardware SRC (AK4137 chipset) that also does up sample to DSD256. I’ve heard from other forums someone manage to up sample to DSD512 using HQ Player. I would like to try using Roon+HQ player and see whether my i7 is up to the task. I was looking forward for Roon 1.3 to do the DSD up-sampling and it will interesting to compare the different options here.

DSD512 upsampling in HQPlayer is a cpu killer. You will need one of the faster higher end i7s and even then you might still want a CUDA enabled video card to assist with the processing to avoid hiccups.

Also Oppo Sonica DAC will 512 support … coming soon, and Roon too is in the works I hope…cant be a bad thing but off Roon Bridge its doable.

Good to hear that. DSD512 may or may not see the light of the day as there’s no material being release for it. According to Jeff Zhu, founder and designer for Holo Audio Spring DAC, Sony has abandon DSD and goes for DXD. Therefore, DSD256 is likely the last surviving format. The file is huge and not many music downloads support it; noticeable like NativeDSD and Primephonic are just a hand full still releasing downloads in DSD256.

I foresee the future of up-sampling from PCM to DSD will become more and more common; either in the form of hardware (inside the DAC) or software (Roon 1.3) implementation.

Oooh, thanks Guy, this could put the kibosh on my amateurish attempt to build a DSC1. Are you able to say what price Wildism charges for a Level 2 ?

My evil plan to unfold Tidal MQA in Roon, send it to HQP to upsample to DSD 512 (not sure whether to convolve room EQ in Roon or HQP, probably Roon) and deliver it to a microRendu to send over USB to a DSD 512 capable R2R DAC is proceeding apace. _

My poor little BRIX dual core i7 couldn’t pull that sort of weight, so it would mean a new server with a CUDA capable graphics card. Ah well, I could always sell one of the children for medical experiments …

1 Like

I just replied to your message on the charges for Holo Audio Spring DAC

Thanks Guy, I’ve pulled the trigger on a Stage 2. Looking forward to checking it out. I may have an Auralic Vega for sale !

2 Likes

Is the (list) price a secret?

Haha! Guess you need to call them for the best quote!

Don’t they have a list price? Just a ballpark figure…
I’m not in the market for a new DAC as I’m most happy with my Lampizator Golden Gate :heart_eyes:

I was quoted USD $1700 including shipping to Australia for the Stage 2.

1 Like

That sounds like a friendly offer for the features that DAC has :sunglasses:

I was told by the dealer, by leaving the unit on in ‘Standby’ mode helps to accelerate the burn-in process. It requires at least 400hrs, which worked out to around 17 days…

1 Like

Hi Guy

The burn in is even more efficient when you also send highest resolution music signals through the DAC instead of just leaving it ON or even only in Standby. You don’t have to have the amps on, though. Only when listening :wink:

1 Like

Agreed @Christoph. This DAC has a feature called ‘Standby’ mode when defeat on the front panel. The power supply to the analog output stage is always powered on unless you disengage the power switch from the back. It feel warm even without playing any music… It is getting more and more musical as each day it passes…

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to getting it, should arrive in the next few days. Thanks for the tips about burn-in. Looks like Roon will rack up some hours playing content while I’m at work and asleep. I’ll leave the amps off and give it a few weeks before listening seriously.

2 Likes

It’s arrived, about 3 hours listening so far trying out various HQP and Roon settings. Spring always set to NOS (I may never turn on the OS).

I’m deeply impressed and will provide more details after burn-in. If you don’t want a remote control, volume knob or various other bells and whistles and intend to upsample in HQP/Roon this is an excellent value DAC…

1 Like

I am looking forward to hear what you have to say Andy.

I guess that this answers my question about how the Sping DAC compares to the Vega:

1 Like

I got a quick audition of the Lev 3 Holo Spring today, but sadly was being driven from a melco via singxer on I2S interface…in NOS mode so no upsampling.

It was on a system in unfamiliar surroundings and non familiar music for the most part, so hard to comment if any real hard facts…that said we also had no option to test any DSD at more than 64 native. Never mind anything upsampled.

Hope to get it on Roon and or HQPlayer sometime soon in a home test.