Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC does DSD512

The Spring DAC excels in NOS mode because it can bypass the built-in over-sampling and sharp digital filter inside the DAC itself. By moving up-sampling and customize digital filters on a software base like Roon and HQP one can get better sound out from it.

Since most DACs in the market already built-in over-sampling and sharp digital filter (no option to bypass), the sound quality is limited by the built-in hardware and not software part like Roon and HQP.

For others like ‘purists’ this give them another option to playback without over-sampling and digital filter. Many swear by heart that NOS sound much better due to excellent impulse response. For me I can combine both NOS and Roon 1.3 up-sampling to tailor the sound I like. I’ve an article that may be interesting to look at:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/metrum/3.html

It’s probably a little early for burn in to be complete but as @Driftwood has noted above I knew I’d be keeping it shortly after trying it out with DSD 512. Anyway I’d like to let @Rugby and @MusicEar know about initial impressions as I’m breaking it in.

Firstly Daniel’s post above about CPU grunt required to upsample to DSD 512 is spot on (as usual :wink:). I opted to build a new music server in an ITX mini case which I have named MUSE. That project nearly went adrift when some bodgy RAM had me foxed, but it’s cooking with gas now. It has some fan noise so it sits in the room adjacent to the stereo connected to the router by Ethernet and thence to the microRendu.

The GTX 970 CUDA assist seems necessary. Without it I get some pops from using the i7 Kaby Lake alone (can’t remember what filter). With it the whole thing hums along between 19 and 28% CPU at 55-60 C convolving Room EQ in Roon and upsampling from Redbook to DSD 512 (22.5792 mHz) using closed-form filter and AMSDM7 512+fs in localhost HQP.

I prefer closed-form because it gives both the biggest and tightest sound stage on my system. And I have found I am a sound stage junky. Fortunately the Holo Audio Spring and closed-form DSD 512 deliver my daily fix.

Some of the reviews that can be found from Guy’s links above seem to suggest that the sound stage from the Spring using NOS can be almost “too big”. Rubbish. In the same way that you can never be too beautiful, too rich or have too many backups, there is no such thing (in my humble opinion) as a sound stage which is “too big”.

DSD 512 is qualitatively different from DSD 256 and in the same direction that DSD is generally heading. I like the description organic. For me it is an absence of digital sibilance. I just don’t hear it any more. At last the dreaded bugbear of “CD sound” (remember perfect sound forever ?) has been banished. It sounds as analog as I have ever heard a digital system sound. And it’s not rolled off highs. The air is all there like with a good moving coil cartridge (I use a Koetsu Black).

I can understand, however, those who might prefer PCM. The DSD sound is still a bit sucked out in the mid-bass, lacking the presence of PCM and might also have a shade less dynamics. Fortunately the mR prevents those defects from going too far and becoming annoying. They are there but for me the sound stage and air make it worthwhile.

If I seem to be talking about DSD rather than the Spring, it’s because I don’t really think the Spring has a “sound” as such. The detail is still there compared to the Vega, but where the Vega pushed the detail to the fore, with the Spring it is just there in a more natural way. I don’t think of the Spring as warm or cold. I think it is just dead accurate. For $1,700 USD (Level 2) it is some of the best value in Hi Fi at the moment. You can have mine when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Edit: I’ve now listened more with a poly-sinc-shrt-mp filter in HQP and I believe my comment about “a shade less dynamics” was referring to the closed-form filter rather than the Spring.

3 Likes

Good review, I agreed wholeheartedly, your description of ‘organic’ ‘natural’ and ‘accurate’. Very few DACs in the market at this price bracket can offer such a quality sound. I never regret purchasing the Holo Spring and is going to be my reference DAC for many years to come!

1 Like

There is a change that happens at DSD512 that doesn’t seem to be as pronounced at lesser DSD upsamples. I wonder if the same hits PCM at 768.

1 Like

Dont sound all these Dacs the same with DSD 512 upsampled via HQP?
I thought HQP is replacing all the Dacs internal filters and “replaces” them with the filters one aplies with HQP filtering choices.
I lack the technical understanding.

Even using HQP there are still potential differences between DACs arising from their input stages, clocks and D/A converters and analog output stages.

Excellent and well-balanced write-up!

In my dabblings with DSD, I found it to sound very smooth (for lack of a more concise terminology). With repeated listenings however, I found microdynamics getting lost in the gloss. My usual listening fare is small acoustic jazz combos (think ECM) – subtle touches are lost or being smoothed over, attack sounds slow. A cymbal can be a lot of things… but never smooth. :slight_smile:

Note that these are my findings only, with lesser DACs (iFi nano/micro, Mojo) – but these sure did not invite me to follow the DSD path any further.

2 Likes

You think that makes any difference in what you are able to hear?

There are differences in what I hear, those are the relevant differences in the equipment, so yes.

gaaaahhhh…still waiting on my Level 3 to be delivered. Its been 1.5 months and counting. I am hoping to get it before the end of this month.

Fantastic that you can hear differences at DSD 512 upsampling!
Thats simply great.
I tested 4 Dacs and for me all sound the same.
Must be my age…

Guys, I came across a very affordable R2R DAC that does PCM and native DSD, a close looks at the PCB, it somehow resemble the Holo Spring design, except not sure whether below the PCB have another similar set that does linearity compensation. Looks at the enormous numbers of small caps the does power supply filtering!

It s going for USD698 or S$898 in my country. Looks like R2R DAC is going for the masses!

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=247059.0

It uses the latest XMOS USB chipset XU-208 compared the one used in Holo Spring (U8). It can support DSD256 via DoP.

@MusicEar

Did you get the Ares?

I’ve yet to listen. Hope by end of March, the dealer will bring so I can audition it.

I ordered one. I should get it in 1-2 weeks.

Pretty cool, hope you can post some reviews here.

Vinshine has dropped their price to $598 ($648 shipped to US). Looks interesting. Plus, they state that the Tomahawk (next level Denafrips) will be announced 15 March.

Looking forward to your comments @thyname.

1 Like

@MusicEar

I will. At head-fi forums most likely. But don’t expect the eloquent reviews that some hard core head-fiers write.

@J_William_Truett

That price has been around for a couple of weeks I have been tracking. That’s what I paid

Hello Andrew,

Just curious about how did you find the HOLO vs your VEGA, i have a VEGA and would like to know if its worth it to sell it and get the HOLO instead

Kind regards

Miguel

Hi Miguel,

I waited a very long time before upgrading from a heavily modded Cambridge DACmagic IIa (the original Pink Triangle design) so the Vega struck me as something of a revelation. I still really enjoy it and am seriously considering deploying it at my girlfriend’s place rather than selling.

(This would involve pushing her tolerance for audio boxes a little high, so it may be a long term project. I blotted my copybook over the weekend on a long drive by attempting some Ozark Mountain Daredevils. This resulted in immediate assault with an empty plastic water bottle combined with her frenzied blind stabbing at the car stereo controls to stop the pain. Interstation FM static was deemed preferable).

Unfortunately I can’t setup both DACs to do a meaningful A/B comparison. I think the Spring in NOS mode with upsampled DSD 512 through HQP has a bigger soundstage than I recall with the Vega. I think the Vega presented more detail “up front” although I certainly didn’t find it fatiguing.

The Vega has a remote control and digital volume that the Spring lacks.

I would say to certainly try out the Spring if you want to experiment with DSD512, but if you are content with DSD256 (which the Vega can do with the firmware upgrade) then I wouldn’t think the cost/value of changing was justified. I am attracted to the R2R discrete resistor chain rather than an IC DAC but I couldn’t attribute any particular SQ difference to it because I haven’t made the necessary A/B/X comparison. Similarly I believe the linearity correction from using duplicate R2R chains is a good architecture, but can’t say anything about a comparison. The Spring feels very transparent in my system, but others have thought it a shade warmer and darker in comparison to SABRE DACs. I wouldn’t call that a bad thing.