Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC does DSD512

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Woman driven to violence by Country music

A post was split to a new topic: Woman driven to violence by Country music

Cleaned up the thread :innocent:

Thanks for the inputs on this,

I tried to upgrade my vega to 256 but the ā€œprogramā€ is ended as Wang told me so no upgrade for my Vega

in ht either side i have been reading that upgrading to DSD512 is something quite better that being upgrading at dsd256

So i think i will sell

Kind regards

Some nice review from AudioStream, I agreed listening in NOS mode is what makes this DAC so unique from the rest. Considered the price range, it is simply hard to find one that comes close.

Googling has failed me, does anyone know where one can get one of these in Europe. The DAC looks very interesting and not hyper-expenisve as these things go.

.sjb

I just got myself a Level 3! For my birthday.

Oh waitā€¦ my birthday is in January :grin:

1 Like

Not sure about EU, but I got mine from Wildism Audio in HK. His quote is reasonable and ship worldwide.

Seems incredible value certainly!

:slight_smile:

.sjb

2 Likes

Haha! Need to get a quote from himā€¦

@Sloop_John_B you can buy them in The Netherlands. I am not annyway connected to Them. http://www.magnahifi.com/index.php/nl/webshop/product/holo-audio-spring-dac-level-2-red-label-r2r-dsd

it is a trusted shop amoung dutch audiophiles and one of the sponsers of a dutch audiophile forum. So you should be good :wink:

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Has anyone compare the SQ difference between hardware OS in Holo Spring (AK4137) and Roon 1.3 up sampling in the following.

1. Holo Spring (set OS ) of 44.1k source vs Roon 1.3 up sampling to 352.8k(set Holo Spring to NOS)
  2. Holo Spring 44.1k to DSD256 (set OS DSD) vs Roon up sampling 44.1k to DSD256 (set Holo Spring to NOS)

I havenā€™t done that yet Guy, but might try it this weekend. Iā€™ve never played music through the OS section of the Spring though, so it might need to break in ! NOS all the way here.

also very interested in the Spring, and how it performs with the OS of Roon.

A friend and I compared the Roon OS with the native OS of his Audio-GD DAC19, and here we found the OS of the Audio GD markedly better, to our surprise (we expected the Roon OS to be better due to more processing power being available through the Roon server).

For anyone interested, we tested like this:

Roon without OS -> Audio-GD with OS enabled -> amp,
vs Roon with OS -> Audio-GD with OS disabled -> amp.

Tried both maximum and 2x maximum on Roon.

It would be interesting to see Roon with OS -> Audio-GD with OS enabled -> amp with maximum on Roon. In theory it should sound the same as your case 2 butā€¦

PCM or DSD? One thing to keep in mind is that oversampling involves a digital filter, since the new samples are underdetermined by the original ones (IOW, there are many ways of interpolating between the given samples, and those ways correspond to different filters/smoothers/regularizers ā€“ choose your lingo according to your training ;)) So, itā€™s not surprising that Roonā€™s and Audio-GDā€™s sound different. If you read up on digital filters for oversampling, you quickly descend into a maze of twisty little passages called ā€œminimum phase,ā€ ā€œclosed form,ā€ ā€œtime-domain optimization,ā€ ā€¦ I sort of semi-understand some of them (applied math/CS background, not EE/DSP), but Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a lot I donā€™t. Personally, Iā€™m fond of the closed-form Schiit filters that to my ears do a great job on 44.1/16 PCM material. But Iā€™m waiting for my Spring to compareā€¦

How do you oversample on Roon?

DSP Engine
Sample Rate Conversion

I think, the proper term is ā€˜up samplingā€™, which is normally used in software (PC) while ā€˜over samplingā€™ refers to the internal DAC chip that does over sampling plus digital filter, hence, the word, over sampling digital filter is a common word associated with DAC.

We tested PCM.

By the way, I just saw the new Roon release, and even on bluetooth headphones (with some compression), I can hear a marked improvement. Things may have significantly changed now, and I hope we can compare again soon.