Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC does DSD512

So between version 2.5 of the sonicorbiter OS supporting native DSD for the Singxer SU-1 and there being available firmware for the SU-1 that enables support of DSD 512, I recently decided to try the SU-1 to see how it compared to the USB implementation of the Spring DAC.

I have to say that the difference wasn’t small, this is probably the best upgrade (certainly in terms of value) I’ve ever made to my system. I was not expecting this. This is the first time with digital playback that I can escape the feeling of it being digital.

The combination of Roon, the microRendu (with LPS-1), SU-1 and Spring DAC probably bring my digital playback chain on par with my analog chain of VPI Prime, Lyra Kleos and Channel D Seta+ model L.

I ordered the “Kitsune Tuned Edition” if it makes any difference. I have not yet tried powering the SU-1 with an LPS-1, that is something I might try in the future.

I’ve been upsampling via Roon to DSD 512 for simplicity and convenience, but @andybob’s reports on using HQPlayer are tempting me to go back and experiment some more with it. What I really want is an HQPlayer appliance where I don’t have to connect a screen (or control it using something like VNC). I’m looking forward to HQPlayer embedded 4, where perhaps something like this will be possible.

1 Like

Thanks @Driftwood, very interesting. I have an identical digital front end except for the Singxer SU-1 so I thought your report showed great sense. Can you expand a bit upon the changes you heard when it was introduced into your system ?

As you’ve noticed I would really recommend trying the xtr filters in HQP with the AMSDM 512 fs+ modulator. I have to use the -2s versions with my gear. It would be good to know what you think of them.

I’m looking forward to getting SonicOrbiter 2.5 as the Linux pop is a pain in the proverbial.

I’m cautious about committing to the SU-1 at this time, because I would really like to see an Ethernet version with SD card firmware that can run DietPi and swap easily between Roon Bridge and NAA. Perhaps if we wished upon a star …

Hi @Driftwood. Please can you confirm that you’re not using any other USB re-conditioning or galvanic isolation (e.g. Regen, Intona) in addition to your listed kit?

Totally agree on the benefits of Singxer SU-1.

Better yet, you will notice further improvements by powering the SU-1 with a linear power supply, such as the LPS-1 Ultracaps. Much more so than powering the microRendu with LPS-1.

Since you already have the LPS-1, you can easily try it on your Singxer SU-1. Here is what you would need:

https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxer-su-1-dc-power-conversion-kit-kitsunehifi-2-1mmx5-5mm/

Currently, I have the Singxer SU-1 powered by the LPS-1, and just received the sBooster to power the microRendu.

When I play music it sounds much more relaxed, it is, by way of analogy, like if you had been unconsciously clenching your jaw and then suddenly noticed what you were doing, and then consciously relaxed, and realized that your jaw felt much better. Even if you weren’t consciously thinking about it, the whole time you had your jaw clenched, there was a tension there, making your jaw sore. That’s sort of how I feel about the changes, it is like I had my jaw clenched the whole time while listening to music (but not literally, of course). There is an improved sense of ease about the music, and it sounds less tied
To my speakers. I have magnepan speakers, and while they have a lot of nice qualities that’s i appreciate, at least for me, in my room, they have never been particularly good and imaging or soundstage. I’m not going to claim the SU-1 completely transformed them into a different speaker, but it did make a minor, but welcome improvement in this regard. Now on occasion I will be listening and will occasionally be confused for a moment as a sound suddenly seems to come from somewhere else, or even behind me which is not something I typically have experienced with these speakers. They still aren’t anywhere near other speakers I’ve heard where the music seems completely disconnected from the speakers at all times, but it is a small step in that direction.

In absolute terms the changes brought about by the SU-1 probably aren’t tremendous, but to me they were audible, and have made digital playback a much more enjoyable experience. That is what I mean by “the difference wasn’t small”. I don’t know how significant the difference would be in measurement terms, but in terms of enjoyment, it is significant. I can only speculate that I am hearing the difference that the clock makes?

Indeed. I ordered the upgrade as soon as I could because getting rid of the pop was easily worth at least $20 (if the only way to get that was to have to buy a new microrendu or the forthcoming ultrarendu, I would have probably done that without hesitation, but I’m fortunate in being able to afford to do so).

Yeah, I agree. I wish there was a microrendu-like device that was an Ethernet to i2s over hdmi bridge. I mean, to be honest, I was reluctant to buy the SU-1 because I had heard vague rumor that a new model is coming in August. For that matter, I was also reluctant about buying the Spring DAC at first because of the stated plans for Holo Audio to at some point introduce the May DAC. I already had the Ayre QB-9 (which has been upgraded to do DSD128) and the aforementioned Merging Hapi (which can do DSD256), both of which are more expensive than the Spring DAC, so I wasn’t sure that overall the Spring DAC would be an upgrade. But, I was interested to see what the fuss was over DSD512, and the Spring DAC is exactly what I wanted for experimenting with upsampling in software. Ultimately my curiosity got the better of me, and I bought it, but despite reading positive reports on the SU-1 I wasn’t interested because I had the conceit this was just going to be my “play” DAC, not my “serious listening” DAC. Well, my misguided notions about that were quickly dispelled as the Spring DAC is pretty much all I listen to any more. I’m extremely pleased about buying the Spring DAC as I thing it has done more to further my listening education that any other component I have purchased.

That is correct, at the moment I am using the microrendu directly into the SU-1, previously I used the microrendu directly into the Spring DAC. I have been waffling about trying out additional devices in the chain to see if they make a difference. In response to my experience with the SU-1, I ordered an Uptone Audio Iso Regen, so I’ll find out what effect that has whenever it arrives.

Same here. microRendu directly to SU-1 without any “decrapifier” device. I have ordered the ISO Regen (second batch), which should arrive in early June. I doubt it will make any difference, since microRendu has built in several features attributed to such devices, but I wanted to try anyway. Hopefully I am proven wrong :wink:

@danny mentioned one yesterday in another thread. Get your wallet ready:

At that price, I think I’ll wait for a Chinese network to I2S bridge!

The linear power supplies (2) are included, so it’s actually a bargain. :wink:

Ahh yes, thanks for the link. I saw mention of it but didn’t investigate at the time, so thanks for reminding me. I’m not sure that it fits @andybob’s use case of being able to be used as a NAA (unless they were willing to give him access to the OS as suggested). It would be nice to be able to replace a chain of things with one box, but $5,000 is a bit pricey for that convenience. Ostensibly it might have other sound quality benefits as well, who knows. Something to consider I guess.

Exactly. I mean, I don’t doubt it does what it says, but I have no idea how much noise will be eliminated through its galvanic isolation, nor how much improvement will be obtained by regenerating the USB signal of the microrendu which I assume already has pretty good signal integrity? Anyway, eventually I’ll find out.

Thanks @driftwood, very interesting. That relaxation you describe may be attributable to reduced noise or better precision clocking. Definitely food for thought.

And I just use my singxer su-1 because the meridian surround receiver (which i use as a dac) only has coax. I almost feel embarrassed using it for such an earthly matter, reading all this. :slight_smile:

Sorry, missed this post earlier. I have considered getting the kitsune kit to allow powering the SU-1 with an LPS-1. I thought I’d take things one step at a time though. I’m going to need an enclosure to house the array of LPS-1s that I’m going to need to power my microrendu, ISO Regen and SU-1!

You probably just need two LPS-1s. One for Singxer and ISO Regen at 5v, and the other for the uRendu at 7v. Use an Y cable for the first. No?

a. What’s the best way to split the power from the LPS-1?
b. There’s something about powering two devices from the same “pristine” PSU which I’m slightly uncomfortable with (which I hope is an unfounded concern).

You only have an issue if either of the devices chucks noise into the ground plane I think. As both devices are designed to be low noise devices you aren’t breaking anything.

Next question: what does the LPS-1 add (apart from the not inconsiderable convenience of one bank always being fully charged) over a 5V phone recharging pack?

Lower impedance and less ‘self noise’ than a battery. The trade off is of course cost and the issues of keeping the battery charged.

Sure. The Uptone website actually says that voltage regulation isn’t the main reason to get an LPS-1, but (ignoring the mains isolation reason which doesn’t exist for an unconnected discharging battery):

From the Uptone website

1. Speed and ultra-low output impedance over a broad bandwidth. (Battery supplies are poor in this regard; And many traditional traditional transformer/diode/capacitor/regulator linear PS units rely on big banks of filter caps to smooth what the regulator sees—which impacts speed and impedance.)

At this point, I have no idea of the effects of impedance in a DC power supply. Does “speed” refer to transient current performance here?

Is the ISO Regen not 6-9V?