Sigur Ros New Album Messes Up the DAC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC ROCK (i7 based)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

dCS Bartok, network input

Description Of Issue

This is the bizarrest incident I’ve ever had. Everytime I play the new album of Sigur Ros, “Odin’s Raven Magic” on MQA direct pass through to the Bartok, the sound gets messed up and then the DAC’s display freezes. Once this happens, all other MQA files are messed up, sounding like they are played at 2x speed, and skips tracks. I have to turn off the DAC manually and reboot to purge the problem.

Does anyone with dCS or any other MQA DAC have the same issue? What on earth can cause such a problem?

What is the source of the files? Download, Tidal, Qobuz?

What happens if you let Roon do the MQA Decode?

MQA, hence obviously Tidal. I just tried software unfolding (Bartok as Renderer only), and still the problem, if a little different way. The display still gets frozen and I have to reboot the DAC to refresh.

Looks like the MQA file on Tidal is faulty. I don’t want to lose my sleep on it. The music isn’t all that interesting anyway. Still curious how such a thing would happen…

I should also add that the same files play properly on my other Mac through Zorloo Ztella (Roon with software unfolding). What is specific about dCS processing of MQA files??

I was going to ask the source as well, it’s not obvious actually.

I"m not sure. It played back fine on my office setup with Roon doing the decode, not a dcs.

Thank you all. I am curious to hear from another dCS users. Maybe it’s device-specific, although it’s hard to understand how it can be.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.