Silent Angel Bonn 8 network switch

Are there already users of a Silent Angel Bonn 8 network switch?

Hi Fernand. I am and it is sensational. I use it between my QNAP nas and my OPPO 105D. Between switch and OPPO I have put a audioquest vodka cable. You need that too. The router was definitely my weakest link. It’s all about the hifi chain and to find the weakest link. I found it, and i found finally my music. Greetings Patrick

Hi Patrick,
can you give a schematic representation of the connections that you are currently using

The dealer (Silent Angel) has been to a friend of mine (hi-fi store) and would send one, as soon as it arrives in the store it comes directly to me for testing.

Hi Fernand, in attachment you will find info about my connectors. I hope you have access to this link and that it clarifies my setup.

I only wonder why - and feeling sad - I can’t install a Roon zone for this setup but can through hdmi or usb das connecting my qnap with Roon Server to my oppo 105d? I know the 205 is an Roon endpoint, but why with hdmi and usb day and not through router or this switch…Do I miss something?
Greetings Pat.Connecting info

Can you send me a e-mail, I think you are from Belgium or The Netherlands (fla-ts@telenet.be)

Access granted.

I have your sketch, but what am I wondering, where is Roon installed?

I have seen it

The Qnap Nas Ts 251B has it installed as a server. So I use Roon for music stored on the nas - using the remote app on iPad - and of course for streaming Qobuz music. It’s a wonderful tool.
But as I said before - in my configuration - I only can use Roon without the switch. Directly connected from nas to oppo, through other connectors like hdmi cable or usb das cable, I can. Not through the Bonn switch and the Ethernet cables as shown in my document. I prefer the switch/Ethernet cables because of the quality build and superior sound!
The reason therefore is unclear to me. The oppo 105 is not a Roon endpoint, the 205 is. But it works through hdmi/usb dac. Strange isn’t it?

I think the Oppo is not an endpoint and you can only use Roon as you do now, from Nas with usb to the dac in the Oppo, the Oppo is not really a streamer such as Bluesound, Lumin, Metrum Ambre and so on

I am curious, do you prefer the usb dac Connection above the silent angel combi Ethernet cable connection to let’s say a “real streamer”? For technical reasons… perhaps you can test this on your setup and add your sound experiences?
Further, the facts tell me now, for me, only Roon plus usb dac works. Still I wonder if it will be possible in the future… it’s really a pity.

I don’t have usb on my dac, the module has been replaced by an I2s module, but even though I had usb I don’t use it. I work on utp cabling up to my streamer. btw Roon on the same hard disk as where your music is on is not a good method, you should install Roon on an external ssd on the Nas, not expensive and better

Better also for my ears? I agree it will work faster and Roon advices it too for better performance. On the other hand, it only works for me with usb dac, lesser sound, less isolation.
I prefer now the switch plus AQ vodka cable, for better sound reasons. Then I use the mconnectHD player (cheaper), through switch, buffered in the oppo ready for the excellent Dac chips. I prefer in the end, still better sound above a nice software management software.
Usb versus Ethernet?

usb is mostly used to connect a computer to a dac, which is the case with you, a nas is a PC. My dac (Metrum Adagio) is originally equipped with usb to use as you do now.

Hi ROON Collègues,

I’am currently trying such set : Not one but TWO BONN 8 switches (“Double Run” arrangement)

One is dedicated for all inputs : Router (QIBUZ) and NUCLEUS (Nas)
The other is dedicated for all outputs : My streamer (EMM Labs NS1)

Of course both switches are connected, I use the same Ethernet cables in between (AQVox).

The result (amazing) upon the sound is “all is clean” and “Positioned precisely within the sound volume”. No difference in quality between the Stream and the Nas files sound.

Any of you had this opportunity to try This “Double Run” usage ?

Best
Patrick.