Silent Angel vitOS Boot Problems

You are correct. We are working on making it support RPi4 8GB version.

1 Like

Are you also planning on making the WiFi available after the initial install? No issues with the wired network connection for the setup, but after, not having WiFi really limits it’s use case for many endpoints.

The whole point of VitOS is to improve network latency performance over what is possible with standard Linux. (from the bottom of the VitOS web page):

In this test, average network latency during track playback was under 1 ms with a standard deviation of under 0.2 ms. Even under ideal cases, Wi-Fi will be an order of magnitude worse.

How much does this affect sound quality during playback? That’s hard to say, but unlike RoPieee, the goal of VitOS is to improve sound quality by improving latency performance. If this is not something you care about, RoPieee is a better choice.

Difficult to understand how latency will improve sound quality from a single point source. If I press the play button in roon and it takes 1 second to start playing the music how will the sound improve if the time is reduced to 0.5 second once the stream has started and the network connection is strong then surly the sound reproduction would be the same? if using the same Pi, DAC, cables and power supply…?

Sure…agreed that this is open to fair debate. Perhaps there’s some correlation between latency and RFI/EMI noise or noise-correlated leakage current that some DACs can’t completely filter out? It would be interesting to know. I have not ruled out power of suggestion and placebo effect. :wink:

Whatever the source of VitOS’ magic, it all goes away without an Ethernet connection. If you need Wi-Fi, there are loads of other options out there.

How can you state this? You have never been able to set it up any other way to experienced it !?!?

Hmmm…perhaps you’ve missed what I’ve said earlier in this thread.

One of the assertions from Silent Angle VitOS is that there’s a strong correlation between reduced network latency and sound quality. I have no way to objectively validate this assertion, but if you can accept it, moving from wired Ethernet to Wi-Fi would eliminate much (all?) of the advantage VitOS has over RoPieee and other alternatives.

Again, VitOS comes from the world of $400 audiophile network switches, CAT7 Ethernet cables, optical media converters, galvanic isolation, and similar mysticism. Either you believe in this stuff or you don’t. And if you don’t, VitOS is probably not worth exploring further.

Please remember to keep the discussion. about audio products or ideas and not each other.

1 Like

I think much bigger gains can be found from improving the other end of the audio chain; full range speakers correctly positioned within a good acoustically treated room with a flat frequency response, a suitable amplifier to partner well with the speakers of choice, a wide bandwidth preamplifier with a high quality power supply, a high quality DAC with a high accuracy clock and a quality power supply, good cables made from quality materials and a high quality audio grade linear power supply to power the Pi will collectively make a huge difference in improving sound quality; these component choices will yield far better sound improvements than any OS running on any SMB no matter how low the latency times are.

I agree 100%. Thanks for putting this into perspective. Of course, those things are also a lot more expensive than picking up a spare $8 microSD card so that you can try VitOS or latest audio-optimized endpoint O/S for a few weeks. But yes, moving your speakers an inch closer together will almost certainly make a bigger difference. Cheers.

2 Likes

Any progress in the matter?

I just purchased a Pi 4 with 2 GB of RAM just to try out VitOS, but it doesn’t boot.

As it turns out, recently sold Pi 4 with less than 8 GB of RAM also feature the new Hardware rev. 1.4 which was introduced with the 8 GB version and is incompatible with VitOS.

Ropieee runs fine though.

Kind Regards,
Roland

1 Like

I’ve had a quick look on the Silent Angel web site and it appears the image file has the same extension as before I’ve downloaded the image and the last modified date was December 2019 so I would assume this will not work with an 8GB Raspberry Pi

1 Like

Hi !

A new version supporting 8GB and Hardware rev. 1.4 has been released. Please go to http://www.silent-angel-audio.com/vitos-for-rpi4 to get it.

Best regards,
Chorus

1 Like

I’ve installed the new version on my RPi4 8GB. It works Ok. I don’t notice any issue yet and hope it will be Ok too.

@Vladimir_Losev the 8gb Pi doesn’t offer anything more than a 2gb pi for VitOS as it is so cute down and efficient.
If you have a smaller memory Pi I would recommend using that instead and keeping the 8gb Pi for a project that could use the additional memory.

Regards

Mike

Absolutely agree with you. I have several different os on different sd cards and use them from time to time. VitOS had an install problem and now it is fixed. Anyway many thanks for the advice.

1 Like

I had a pi setup with Ropieee and my RME dac. It worked fine. I heard about VitOS Roon Bridge from a forum member. I was able to flash the disk OK and the VitOS Manager recognized the PI with VitOS. I setup VitOS on the Manager as a Roon Bridge. I then went under Audio on Roon and the Pi with VitOS (with RME dac on) was not recognized by Roon. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help. Greg

Hi Greg,
if have a similar setup (Pi4 with VitOS via USB intonRME ADI-2 DAC) and it works fine.
Try restarting the roon bridge from within the VitOS Manager with the DAC being connected and powered on.
You also have to enable the endpoint again under settings/audio in roon when changing from ropieee to vitos.
If it still doesn’t work, try rebooting roon as well.

Good Luck! Regards, Roland

1 Like

Hello,

I just tried to install Vitos on a sdcard but the app wouldn’t find the Raspberry pi (4GB, recently bought).
Any suggestions (tried it a few times with etcher and rufus, for the extraction I used 7-zip and win.rar)?

kind regards,

Michael

@German_Gooner
You don’t need to unzip it. Just write the file to memory card using balenaEtcher and you will be good to go