SimAudio Moon Ace - Roon Volume Display Always Shows Zero

Hi there,
I am using a Moon Neo Ace with Roon via Ethernet, and it is fully compatible. HOWEVER, there is one small issue… the volume of the Ace is fully controllable from the Roon app, but the volume indicator on the lower right of the Roon screen alway shows “0”. You can use the Roon volume slider and the Roon + and - buttons to adjust the Ace volume, but Roon always says “0”. The Ace display does show the correct volume level. I was initially annoyed by this bug, but have gotten used to it. Maybe Moon can fix this.

1 Like

What version of Mind firmware is the Ace running?

Also, could you post a screenshot of the Device Setup in Roon for the Ace?

Cheers, Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn’t really asking for or expecting any help… I just wanted Jay_Kay to be aware of this issue in response to his question. But I’m very glad to have your help, so here’s what I know:

The dealer I bought my ACE from has the same problem in their store with their equipment… the ACE volume control from Roon works, but Roon always displays “0”.

The screen shots you requested are attached. It seems to me that the cause of the problem might be that the ACE is reporting to Roon that its minimum and maximum volume limits are both “0”. (See “device limits” in screen shot) I’m guessing that’s why I’m unable to enter any other value in either the comfort limit, safety min or safety max fields… whatever number I enter, even “1”, just goes back to “0” immediately. I’m also guessing that’s why the Roon volume display is always “0”.

Seems to me that if Moon fixed that erroneous min & max “0” value that it’s sending to Roon, the problem might be solved. What do you think?

Thank you.
Ira
Audio Vision

Set volume control to fixed volume in device set up

Hi Outlaw,

Well, I should have known better…

Because your suggestion sounded like it was made with complete confidence, I went ahead and tried it out… BIG mistake on my part…

Now things are MUCH worse. What happened is that the volume level for the ACE was no longer controllable at all from Roon, a serious step backwards. The Roon volume slider and the + and - buttons completely disappeared, replaced by a message saying “volume control is fixed.” Looking back on it, what else should I have expected?

Anyway, no problem I thought, I’ll just go back and set the volume control back to “device volume.” and this temporary glitch will be over… NO SUCH LUCK. When I set it back to “device volume,” the volume slider DID NOT return. The + and - buttons did return, and they do control the ACE volume, but the volume slider I had previously is now gone. And, due to the constant “0” display on my Roon app, (the original problem I mentioned in my first post) the volume slider was the only way I previously had to gauge the approximate level of the ACE volume from within the Roon app. Now I have lost that, as well. Just a “0” all the time, and no slider to indicate approximate volume level.

I have tried opening and closing Roon, restarting my iPad, disabling and enabling the ACE device, turning off and cycling power on the ACE, etc, all to no avail.

Now I have basically a untenable situation, and I don’t know how to resolve it?
I would love to get back to where I started… a working volume slider with a constant “0” Roon display.

Guess it’s one of those, “You don’t know what you’ve got 'till it’s gone” situations…

Ira

Hello @Audio_Vision,

The SimAudio Moon Ace is only capable of incremental volume control, and thus will not show it’s volume level in Roon.

We are planning to include a fix in an upcoming version of Roon that will stop Roon from showing “0” as the Device’s volume if it only supports incremental volume.

-John

OK. I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

That said, can you please tell me how to get the Roon volume slider to appear once again?
It disappeared when I changed the ACE from “device volume” to “fixed volume.” However, when I changed the ACE back to “device volume,” the slider did NOT reappear.

Thank you, John.
Ira

Hello @Audio_Vision,

If the volume slider did appear for the SimAudio Moon Ace, it would have been in error.

What are you seeing when you open the volume widget in Roon right now? If the device is functioning correctly, it should be exposing the ‘+’ and ‘-’ volume buttons to control the volume.

-John

Hi John,

Yes, the volume buttons are there and they do work.

However, before I foolishly changed the “volume control” setting for the ACE from “device volume” to “fixed volume” and then back to “device volume” again, the slider was definitely there and was definitely functioning.

If that was “in error,” I would sure love to go back to that error state again!

Is there any way to completely delete the ACE and then add it back in again? I’ve already tried “disable” and “enable” several times to no avail… maybe a complete deletion might put me back where I started?

I’m just very surprised and disappointed that a device can claim to be Roon ready when a basic function like 2-way volume doesn’t work.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Ira

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.