"Similar To" feature only shows artists I already know

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Mini Mid 2011 / OS 10.13.6 / Intel 2.7 Dual Core, SSD startup disk, HDD storage disk / Roon 1.7 (Build 571)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue

I am one week in my Roon trial and am I really loving the software so far. However, there is one feature that is working differently from what I was expecting and it’s a bit of a disappointment. It’s about the “Similar To” feature found on the bottom of every artist page. I hope this can be configured somewhere, but I haven’t found any setting related to it. This is the behavior I encounter:

What I expected
Given I’m on any artist page, when I am looking at the “Similar to” artists, then I expect Roon to show me similar artists available both in my library and in any connected streaming service.

What actually happens

• Given I’m on an artist page of an artist not yet in my library (and without any credit in my library), when looking at the “Similar To” artists, then Roon seems to show me similar artists available in the connected streaming service.
  • Given I’m on an artist page of an artist that is already in my library (or has a credit in any of the music in my library), when looking at the “Similar To” artists, then Roon seems to only show me similar artists available in my own library.

Example
Similar artists of Aphex Twin while not being in my library

Similar artists of Aphex Twin after adding an album to my library

This behavior is counter-intuitive to me. A “similar to” feature is especially valuable for me if it would show me artists that I do not yet know that are similar to artists that I really like. The “similar to” feature does not seem to offer this at the moment. I find myself still going to external sources because of this, interrupting the user experience.

Questions
Can I configure Roon to (also) show me similar artists in my connected streaming service of artists that are already in my library? If not, is there a way for me to suggest this feature to be considered for future a future release?

Hi @Erik_E — Thanks for reaching out about this, and welcome to the Roon community :slight_smile:

We should be showing all of these Similar To options , even when the artist is in your library. It looks like there may be an issue here preventing this and I’ve passed this report along to the team.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Hey @dylan. Is there any news on this ticket?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.