Since update problems with Roon (QNAP Core)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
QNAP TS 251+ with 16 GB.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Hello support, since the last update I have massive problems with Roon, interruptions in music playback since the update.

The radio stations are scanned only briefly and then aborted with the error message that the station has changed the address. The music files are not updated. Roon ran with me without a single suspended for 2 years.

Now comes an update and my Roon Core is no longer found in my network, I am constantly asked to log in again with a user name and password and then the music is played continuously with small annoying dropouts.

Roon is no fun for me. I’m currently desperately trying to find my Roon core on my network. I hope you can help me, what can I do?

A post was split to a new topic: Since update problems with Roon - with a QNAP Core

There are some specific update fixes for the QNAP’s that could solve your issues that were posted in the last week or so.

The 251+ uses a celeron processor which is under the minimum recommended specification for roon and this may contribute to issues.

Hi @Thomas_Wess,

Are you using the latest version of QNAP? There have been some changes that might help with this, but it is still going through the QNAP App Store cycle, you can install a manual copy in the meantime though, see:

hello Noris, thanks for the help. I already have the new version.

Thanks for the answer

Greetings Thomas

Hi @Thomas_Wess,

Did the new version resolve the issue?

Hello Noris, I still have the problem that I always have to register again when the Qnap restarts
the problem is not gone otherwise everything seems to be working again.

Hello, that’s not quite right, with the Qnap 251+ Roon runs fantastically, smoothly and really fast. At least that was the case with me until the update came. the problems only came after the update.

It may work with a Celeron or it might have issues, the following is from the roon knowledge base.

What will happen if Roon Server runs on a slower CPU (such as Atom or Celeron)?

Roon Server uses a lot more CPU than any other audio software. You can read about why we have a Core and why it requires so much more CPU than other software here.

While Roon Server will work fine on these slower CPUs, consequences of running on them potentially include:

• Stuttering or dropouts in audio playback
  • Slow response for searching
  • Slow loading of artist, album, composer, and work pages
  • Longer startup and connection times for remotes
  • Slower audio analysis for normalization/crossfading/other
  • Slower import of new music

Overall, the experience will not be as good as it can be. You can fix this by running on a better suited CPU, such as an Intel Core i3 or i5.

Hi @Thomas_Wess

If you are still seeing this issue, then your QNAP is most likely out of date with the package. Note that the package version and the Roon version are two different things, the package was updated by @crieke a week or two ago, this update resolves the re-login issue on QNAP cores.

Hi @ged_hickman1,
I have the Roon Core on my QNAP TS251 + and it runs without problems. I have no dropouts, no slow response times, the music runs flawlessly and smoothly. The loading times are very fast and without problems. I can’t tell the difference between an Intel i3 or i5. But I will get an Apple Mini i5 or a NUC i5 and configure it as a core, I don’t know if that’s better. Maybe someone has experience with it.
I would be very grateful for any advice

Thomas

Hi @Thomas_Wess,

If you’re looking into purchasing a server with the only purpose of running Roon on it, I would suggest looking into ROCK: Roon Optimized Core Kit.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.