Single Ended Triode Simulation someone interested?

Hello,

in 2006 I read an article from Keith Howard with the title " Euphonic Distortion: Naughty but Nice?". It is still accessible here: Euphonic Distortion: Naughty but Nice? | Stereophile.com

Keith was kind enough to share the algorithm with me. That is why in 2008 I implemented such a “tube simulation” in the AudioVolver I developed at that time (audiodata elektroakustik gmbh, AudioVolver II).

I also published a white paper explaining how it works along with measurement results (http://freerider.dyndns.org/definiteAudio/documents/Officeal%20Whitepaper%20Triodensimulation.pdf).

My current project is rooExtend with its first published module rooDial (https://rooExtend.com). There is more to come and I like to get some feedback from the community if in your eyes it will make sense to include such a tube simulation into rooExtend.

The reason why I came back to it was, that I listened to an old LP with my Shure V15 IV cartridge last night and I was impressed how nice it sounds compared to the digital alternative from Qobuz. Doing some googling I found some measurements regarding cartridges (Audio Asylum Thread Printer) that look like my tube simulation.

I now see a chance to pimp digital material to get back the old LP sound. Maybe I will put it on my list for rooExtend if someone is interested in this. Please let me know.

Best
DrCWO

2 Likes

Sound’s interesting…How to do it?

A tube simulation Roon extension would be something very interesting.

Well, my idea is to make rooExtend an audio receiver so roon can send music to it. This data is processed within rooExtend and output as a wav radio stream. So you will have two simultaneous playback paths.

• One from Qobuz via roon the rooExtend, this is where you select and play your music.
  • The second one from the radio station rooExtend provides to your streamer. No manual intervention will be taken there after once started.

I think it will improve the sound by some 8.526%

I miss the essence of this post, but that doesn’t worry me at all…

1 Like

@DrCWO Sounds interesting, but I’m getting lost along the way. From the description of the experience that motivated you, it strikes me as your were seeking more of a moving magnet cartridge and RIAA curve simulator than a single-ended-triode simulator. Sure many of us used similar analog setups along with SET amplification, isn’t that apples & oranges. My reaction was to wonder if you’re playing the Qobuz and the LP through the same amplification system, where it be tube or ss. Perhaps there would be value in ripping your vinyl digitally, loading those files into your Roon library and comparing that to the Qobuz using the same Roon core, etc. I’m no engineer, but just throwing out the idea that such a comparison might give you a better way to compare the algorithm impact with a slight reduction in variables. Am I missing something?
IMHE, mastering of the source material varies widely (both in LP and digital formats) and would be more likely to account for the original observation.
Thanks for the premise, offer and the thoughts and work behind it. Hopefully my questions offer something useful for you…Cheers.

Spencer,
thanks for your comment.
Comparing the distortion profiles it seems to me that the behavior of SET and cartridges obey the same rules regarding distortion. Cartridges have a k2 of -35dB to -59dB with the follow up components slowly falling down, same as SET. So my believe is, that I can use the available simulation software for SET also for simulating cartridges. Just had to adjust some parameters.
And yes, the idea is to play Qobuz and LP via the same Roon streamer. Playing old CDs via Roon I can attach the simulation if I like.
I already ripped some vinyl and compared but the idea is to also play older tracks via Qobuz and the simulator that are not available as vinyl.
Regarding mastering you are completely right. CD mastering is different in many aspects and I hope to get close to the LP sound with the simulation.

1 Like