Singxer SU-1 and Linux - Producing "white noise" when changing tracks

Great! The diagnostics report has been received @Ian_Oliver. Thanks again!

-Eric

Any updates on this?

If I can add a data point, the same behaviour described in this thread occurs when using a NuPrime uDSD. Soon as thereā€™s a switch in bit depth or sampling rate thereā€™s a short burst of white noise and then itā€™s unresponsive until itā€™s power cycled. I would not be surprised to find they use the same USB chip.

Same here on Arcam irDac ii and looks like other DACs have same issue. There is an alarming amount having the same issues.

I think the nuprime has an XMOS USB input. And your Arcam IrDAC 2 has one as well going by this picture: http://www.aq.cz/images/d5_CatalogueModule-Files/243-file-IR_DACII_Hifi_World_Aug_16.pdf

A pattern is formingā€¦

Yep I think support are now aware of the issue with the xmos as it was mentioned on another thread with user having same issue.

Worth pointing out though that in the case of the uDSD the issue is specific to Roon. Iā€™m told by other uDSD users they do not experience same using eg jriver.

Yes same with my Arcam mpd no issues at all, itā€™s just Roon that has the issue.

Hi @eric

For the past year or so, my digital chain has been plagued by this same white noise issue that @Mark_Kelly1 and @Ian_Oliver have narrowed down to this XMOS chip (great work guys, and THANK YOU). My chain:

Windows 7 64-bit laptop, i7-2640M processor, 8GB RAM running Roon Core
Content stored locally on HDD and streaming Tidal

NUC7PJYH endpoint running Roon Bridge on AudioLinux, USB output
Uptone Audio ISO Regen
Singxer SU-1 (FW v2.2) outputting I2S
Holo Spring KTE DAC

Note: this issue is also present when using a Sonore ultraRendu as an endpoint (same chain otherwise)

Using Ianā€™s method, I am able to consistently trigger a crash in the Singxer when switching back and forth between 16 and 24 bit files, both sampled at 44.1kHz. Markā€™s DSD playback strategy tweak isnā€™t effective with my system, as I tested each of the following scenarioā€™s 5 times apiece:

DSD playback strategy - Native
playing 16-bit file, then switching to 24-bit: crashed 3 out of 5 times
playing 24-bit file, then switching to 16-bit: crashed 3 out of 5 times

DSD playback strategy - Convert to PCM
playing 16-bit file, then switching to 24-bit: crashed 3 out of 5 times
playing 24-bit file, then switching to 16-bit: crashed 2 out of 5 times

To reset, I have been power cycling the Regen (and therefore the Singxerā€™s bus powered USB input) and everything returns to normal.

I have not seen any crashes when setting Roon DSP to upsample everything to a consistent rate. However, my preference at the moment is listening to native file playback, so I wanted to pile on in hopes of getting this resolved.

This thread seems to have gone inactive lately so please let me know if thereā€™s any news.

Dan

@eric

Also forgot to add a potentially interesting point. This issue only pops up when Iā€™m using a networked endpoint (uRendu or NUC). Outputting USB directly from Roon Server off my laptop to the Regen and Singxer is rock solid. No crashes whatsoever.

Thanks again.
Dan

Hello @oodalolly,

Thank you for letting us know that you have been able to reproduce this issue. We are currently tracking this issue in the following thread:

I will be sure to let you know of any ongoing developments as they surface. Please feel free to direct any other questions to me moving forward.

Thanks,
Noris

Great, Iā€™ll start following this new thread. Thanks, Noris!

1 Like