Skipping or clipping

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac OS, iPad as remote, tidal, Roon 1.8 Build 783
I’ve been experiencing some skipping/clipping (not sure of the difference) since 1.8, is this a known issue?

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

1G Xfinity internet speed, core is on the Mac book, using wi fi.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Streaming to Lumin D2 using wi-fi

Description Of Issue

Songs occasionally do not play completely and go to the next song. Songs also clip while playing but do complete. This has happened for me only with 1.8. i have not yet noticed it when streaming with Lumin app, so appears to be Roon related.

1 Like

Hi Gerard, More information is going to be needed for Roon support to have any chance or the community to help you, please provide information of your network setup and Roon infrastructure. Is this for all local music or streaming services?

As for cllipping and skipping they are different things. I assume you mean cutting tracks short? Clipping is usually referred to a audio itself when samples are clipped due to being above their maximum level, usually by DSP going wrong or amplifier being driven too hard.

What helped for me was rebooting my core.

A post was split to a new topic: Skipping issues with all sources

4 posts were split to a new topic: Roon going to the next song before the previous is finished

A post was split to a new topic: Songs only play 50% or 70%

Nobody is defining their network kit, almost certainly WiFi my guess

If so rig a temp Ethernet cable to eliminate WiFi and see if it fixes it . If it does you have your answer

How often does this happen, @gerard_bodell? Have you noticed any patterns as to what songs seem to trigger this? Certain qualities or sources or anything like that?

If you play to a different endpoint besides the Lumin D2 (like System Output of your Core) does the same behavior occur?

Thanks for responding Dylan. It can happen 1-2x while listening for ~2 hours. Always while using Roon with Tidal as the music streaming source. I do not play my own files. I haven’t noticed any specific patterns but I’m usually listening to MQA music files. I will start making notes. Again, I have not noticed it while using the Lumin music app with Tidal. I usually switch over the the Lumin app when this happens and finish the album there. I can try streaming with Roon to some Sonos products but I have not yet as a comparison.

A post was split to a new topic: Skips when playing TIDAL

It just happened again after playing for about two hours, the song played 15% and paused and skipped to the next song. A message popped up saying something about “Tidal loading slow…” The song was In the Real World by Roy Orbison, on Mystery Girl, 44.1kHz 16 bit. That doesn’t seem like it should be a problem since I have 1G internet service and audio is not a big data consumer. Thoughts? Is Roon aware of this skipping and message and working on something?

It is almost certainly a network issue. It is highly recommended to have Core and endpoint connected to the network via ethernet not wifi.

1 Like

While I’m sure it could be a “network issue”, the fact that so many people are reporting this same issue as a new issue seems to suggest a commonality that is separate from an individual’s network problem. I am having this very same problem that seems to coincide with the latest version update. My wifi network has always been very robust and I have not experienced this issue previously.

3 Likes

Well I tried connecting my MacBook via Ethernet and I experienced the same skipping issue after about one hour. Memphis in the Meantime by John Hyatt, 44.1/16 bit played 45% and then skipped to the next song. To me, this has to be an issue with 1.8 since I never had this issue previously.

Please try changing router DNS to 8.8.8.8 then reboot the whole network, including MacBook, Lumin and iPad.

If the router DNS cannot be changed, set the Mac to use DNS 8.8.8.8.

What exactly is the DNS 8888 doing? That’s something I’m not familiar with changing. Thank you

I’ve never had to mess with my dns before now, that seems odd that I should start digging into that setting now doesn’t it?

If I really have to be comfortable changing my DNS to successfully use Roon then I think something is wrong with Roon

You may also try Qobuz instead if Tidal does not work well enough.