Slow app launch on new Mac Studio desktop

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+

Networking Gear & Setup Details

A mix of Ruckus 1Gbe and 10Gbe switches. The Mac Studio is connected via 10Gbe.

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Launching Roon client on the Mac Studio (apple silicon) takes anywhere between 10 and 20 seconds to start.

The iMac Pro (which was replaced by the Mac Studio) has zero issues when launching client using the same network connection. Also works flawlessly over wireless. All other clients connect and work as it should.

The Mac Studio is the only device experiencing this issue.

Roon always takes a number of seconds to start as it loads “stuff” , probably the database. You will see the wait icon (Beachball etc) while its loading

10 - 20 sec for an app launch doesn’t seem unreasonable, My Windows 10 client takes 10 seconds

What are you expecting ? What else is running in the background taking up resources ?

I was just comparing to my other non Apple silicon computers which launch immediately.

Been using Roon for quite a few years now and has always been lightning fast – 2 to 3 seconds.

To answer your questions. Nothing else running in background. This is a clean OS on a new machine (Mac Studio, M1 Ultra, 128GB RAM)

Hey @hedkase,

Ben here with the support team, thanks for taking the time to write in! I’ve enabled diagnostics on your account to take a look at what might be going on, but I’ll need you to send us a log set manually. Please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

I’ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

Hey Ben, thanks for the reply. I’ve uploaded log files for ya!

1 Like

Thanks for sending those over @hedkase!

After taking a look at your log set, we’re seeing some potential issues arise with your system and time machine. Are you currently using time machine for creating backups on your mac? We’re currently tracking a separate issue around time machine, and I wonder if this may be related.

If possible, could you try disabling time machine and see if there is any change in behavior? Let me know

@Benjamin TimeMachine isn’t running. I’ve not set it up on this computer yet.

Hey @hedkase,

Thanks for letting me know. After digging into things deeper, could you please check Disk Utility for any Time Machine entries? We’re seeing quite a few errors in logs based around Time machine.

Beyond that, you could try refreshing the database :

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

I’ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

@benjamin Hey Ben, I’m a little confused. I’ve got Roon server running on a Nucleus Plus and the Roon player software running on an iMac Pro and a Mac Studio.

The player software is running perfectly on the iMac Pro (Intel) but doesn’t run well on the much more powerful Mac Studio (Apple Silicon).

The database folder on the Mac Studio appears to be empty. Also, TimeMachine has never been setup on the Mac Studio.

I’m guessing since the player runs perfectly on one machine and not the other, the problem is not with the Nucleus?

Hey @hedkase,

The database refresh would be for the nucleus, but after the information you’ve provided above, it may not do much. For your Mac Studio, what is the year and model? Also, how is your RAM and storage space looking?

If you haven’t yet, I would try completely uninstalling Roon on the MS, rebooting, and reinstalling. Be sure to remove all Roon folders to ensure a clean uninstall has taken place.

@benjamin the Mac Studio is a 2022 model with the Apple M1 Ultra processor, nearly 4TB of free storage and 128GB of RAM.

I’ll give the uninstall/install a go…

1 Like

@benjamin Reinstalling helped a bit. Now takes 5-8 seconds to launch – still much slower than my Intel Mac but better than what I was experiencing.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.