Slowing Roon Performance

I’m becoming more concerned lately (last month) about the sluggish performance of the Roon system.

Specifically: album IDs take longer; Version munging sometimes never resolves (over 1 minute at times); composition page completion, particularly Tidal performance counts, much slower than before; lag between track selection and music grows longer; artist pages slow to complete, particularly the composition setting; and Tidal albums slower to load.

My library sits at 3,300 albums and has grown maybe 5% in the last two months. The core resides on an i7 NUC with wires where it counts (except wireless controls) and 100+MBps internet. Everybody says “it’s not on my end” and in my case, I believe that too.

Is something going on that might cause this slowdown? Anybody else having similar issues? Other than restarting everything and clearing caches, I am not sure what I can do. Any tips?

A post was split to a new topic: Slower TIDAL performance

A post was split to a new topic: TIDAL performing slow

Just another data point - no, I don’t see any signs of slowdown.

7,000 albums, 120,000 tracks - runs fine on macOS, 2015 MacMini i5.

Another data point:

No noticed slow down
approx. 1500 albums currently active & 20k tracks
Mac mini i7

I’m sure your’re right, however, for the avoidance of doubt … could you confirm the Roon Database is located on an SSD and also how much RAM is fitted in the NUC.

Sorry, it’s in my profile. Yes 256GB SSD and 64MB RAM.

1 Like

I see it now, thanks for confirming.

I’m moving this over to the @support forum category.

Is the NUC running ROCK or another OS?

If another OS, have you logged in and used the performance monitoring tools to see if anything is spiking out? Does tailing the RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer.txt file give any indications of Roon having a problem with something?

Hey @John_V — Thanks for reaching out!

These types of performance issues can be caused by several factors, so I’d like to propose some tests to help us narrow down the cause.

Looking at your profile, I see this as your network setup:

Network: Ethernet, shielded Cat7 and 6; Nighthawk 8000P router, Nighthawk 3000 access point, Netgear switch (unmanaged)

Is the above still correct?

Just to rule out possible networking issues, I’d like to suggest this:

If you connect the Core directly to the router instead of the switch is there any noticeable change?

Additionally, In the past we have seen Google DNS help with similar reports. If you try using Google DNS, do things improve?

Thanks!
Dylan

Dylan, thanks for the ideas. The core is direct connected to the router, and Google DNSs are being used.

Thanks, @John_V!

Next, I’d like to propose a test. To further understand where this slowness that you’re experiencing may be coming from, it would be a great data point to see if this behavior exists with a fresh database. Please see the steps below:

• Make a backup of Roon
  • Shut down Roon
  • Locate your Roon database according to these instructions
  • Rename the entire RoonServer folder to roon_old
  • Relaunch Roon, sign in, and configure a new install

Once you’ve done the above try linking just your TIDAL account. Are you still seeing this slowness?

When you’re ready to switch back to your original database you can shut down Roon once more and then change the roon_old folder back to RoonServer and use it like normal.

Thanks!
Dylan

Dylan, not sure I totally complied. I renamed Roon Server, rebooted Roon, asked for new server setup on my mac, initiated TIDAL, right?

If that’s right, it makes all the difference in the world. Of course, the 1.3TB library isn’t weighing things down (since all I’m seeing are TIDAL albums).

So, AFAICT, things are much better in this experimental form. Next step?

BTW, when you say “shut down Roon” your instructions should clarify whether you mean the Control, the Server/Rock, or both. :slight_smile:

It would help us feeble-minded types.