Some newbie questions

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Laptop 64 bit, just bought Roon latest version, playing through JRiver

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

not playing on network

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Playing direct from laptop to stereo via hdmi cable

Description Of Issue

I’m playing 444 tracks with shuffle. I want to hear some tracks more often so I named those files “song1, song2, etc.” Songs play randomly except when it gets to songs with more than one version. Then it plays those versions one right after another rather than song1, 10 or 20 other songs then song2. When I listen just through Jriver it plays the songs in true random fashion. How can I correct this?

Also I don’t see the file, edit, etc. menu on top. How do I tell the version of Roon I have? Also are there options for an equalizer and other sound options? Or is this all controlled through JRiver? Thanks

Roon —> Settings —> About and read the section “Core”.

You may find https://kb.roonlabs.com/ helpful.

My guess is that Roon is interpreting your set of songs as one single composition. And when shuffle comes upon a multi-track work, it plays all the tracks, in order.

I am not entirely sure what the ultimate aim is, but I am 99% sure your problem is as I stated. HTH

So if instead of adding a number to the end of the file name, adding a different letter at the end will make it think it’s a completely different file? I’ll have to try it to see if that works.

Also I note when it comes to several songs from the same artist it will play those together. Any way to make it shuffle files randomly without regard to the artist?

I found the information on how to access the equalizer.

yeah, there is a ton of info here and on the KB, but finding it can be difficult sometimes.

I hesitate to answer since shuffling can be initiated from a number of contexts. That said, I don’t experience artist grouping as you describe.

Tell us what you discover.

I’d add the songs to a playlist just add the ones you want playing more often more than once.

I assume by JRiver you are using the WDM driver

That is just a driver and shouldn’t change Roons behavior, it may impact sound quality

Out of interest why are you doing it this way?

Hi @Larry_Mark,

Can you share a screenshot of what you see in the queue when this happens? When you go to that album do you see the track listed twice?

I got the shuffling problem solved. It had to do with the way I was naming the files. At the end of the song name there was a space and then a number. Apparently Roon couldn’t recognize they were separate files. I put the number after the last letter of the song with no space. Problem solved. Now Roon sees they are separate files. Other programs recognized that they were separate files with the space. Not a big deal.

I saw in an article that playing Roon with JRiver improves sound quality. It’s subjective but I think it sounds better than JRiver by itself.

I tried the parametric equalizer but think it sounds better disabled. I’ll read up on it and try experimenting with it again.

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. This is a great community. Have a great day!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.