Some tracks will not on my Naim Atom but will play on other devices - QNAP NAS

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP NAS 251+

Version : 1.8 (build 763) stable
QPKG-Version : 2020-07-15
Process ID : 11355

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Orbi RBK53 (Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Naim Atom / MacBook Pro internal speakers / NVIDIA Shield - no physical connections, all over the network.

Description Of Issue

I just migrated the core to my QNAP NAS. Everything went fine and I created a folder for Roon Server.

Now for some odd reason many songs do not play. It’s a combination of songs that are stored locally and songs from Tidal. The odd thing is that it says the song is playing on the selected device but it is not. However, when I switch to my MacBook speakers I am able to often play that same track, other times not. Then if I select a random different track I can play it on my Naim Atom.

There was a Roon update this morning which I downloaded and the same results. Then I tried uninstalling the core and downloading a fresh version from your website and exactly the same results.

It seems to be random as to which songs will play from my internal library and Tidal. It can’t be that my library is corrupted since some of the songs will play on my MacBook and my NVIDIA Shield. It’s kind of random. But the same songs that don’t play (from Both Tidal and library) always don’t play on the particular device.

This is really frustrating. Please help!

Are the non-playing songs in AAC format?

2 Likes

Hi @Kevin_Gordon,
this sounds indeed as it is linked to your QNAP’s ffmpeg binary file (as described in the topic @BlackJack mentioned).
I have sent an update to the QNAP App Store to solve this issue by providing ffmpeg manually (also described in the linked topic).
It seems QNAP has not yet released the update in its app center. I will contact them, to find out if something is preventing the release of the update.
To solve this issue quickly, you can install the update (it is linked in the linked topic as well) and follow the instructions on how to manually provide ffmpeg.
If there are further questions about this process or you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thanks! I’ll check. If this were the case though, why would the same song play through my Mac (speakers) as an end point but not through the Naim?

I don’t know. You wouldn’t be the first who falls for believe, not paying enough attention to (track)details. You did not provide enough details about your setup (how do you connect to the Atom for example) or any specific examples with proof (screenshots) and repeatable pattern. So I just made a first attempt on an educated guess. Might be this or something else but to resolve the inability to play AAC (may also affect AirPlay, internet radio playback, …) content you should definitely update the Roon Server package and install the FFMEG codec anyway. Sometimes issues can be resolved by rebooting/restarting all involved gear (Roon core, router, switch(es), Hi-Fi components).

1 Like

After some further investigation, I am only able to to play MP3 files to my Naim wirelessly over the network (no FLAC, MQA or AAC). If I go through my Topping DAC into the digital input on my Atom then I am able to play FLAC and MQA files also, but no AAC. I’m not sure if this is still related to the ffmpeg situation.

Unfortunately the short-term fix as described is beyond me so I guess that I will be waiting for a future update. It would be good to understand if there is some other issue in addition to the above.

What short-term fix are you referring to? There is a very definitive fix under way, just not officially released to the app store by QNAP.

As it seems you cant find it in the linked thread, I linked it below:

Click on the blue thread title to go there. Please read it. If you scroll down, you can find very detailed information about how to install it all. If you run into trouble installing this please come back here with a concrete description of your problem.

The one posted by Crieke. Something about command line knowledge and using putty. I’ve got no friggin’ idea how to do this.

No such thing like “command line knowledge and using putty” is needed - please read above and give it a try.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.