Sometimes I can't like songs or albums

A large library is better served with a capable full desktop cpu, NuCs only have laptop processors and often have issues with larger libraries.

I would wait until it’s processed and see how it goes before deciding on anything but in the end I don’t think a NAS is likely the best choice given the size of library you have.

I might be better served just building a server at that point lol. Since I run a fair amount of docker containers on my NAS. The Roon nucleus is less powerful than a standard nuc today, especially less so if you also factor in costs. I’m gonna of course wait and see how things go after it’s done analyzing. That said, even with analyzing at throttled, my NAS is only using about 20-30% CPU. Honestly doubt that my hardware is causing a significant bottleneck now that I think of it. There’s no spikes in CPU usage when the system bugs out.

Thanks for the clarification. BTW what CPU heavy tasks are there? I set it up to get alerts when CPU usage goes over 80% and general use isn’t coming close to that. Also when the glitch which is the topic of the thread occurs, there’s no CPU alerts, no overheating, nothing. Also @Simon_Arnold3 mentioned they’ve had this issue and I assume it’s not CPU bound on their end considering they have an i7, so the CPU discussion is probably irrelevant to the topic.

Either way if it’s a widespread issue, better to let the devs know about it and plead for a fix. as far as I know it hasn’t been acknowledged by the team

@Martin_Webster could you move this thread to the support forum?

Since this thread is a discussion covering Roon behaviour, core hardware etc., I suggest you open a new #support thread that sets out the issue. Be sure to complete the template provided in the opening post.

Moreover, please use a flag if you require moderator assistance; please don’t use a mention unless it’s in response to something I posted. Thanks.

But the Nucleus i7 is still a laptop processor. They did not built Roon based on as big libraries as yours so this stretch’s it outside of the Nuc or Nucleous . Why they limited it to these laptop processors is anybodies guess but they didn’t see their average user having big local collections. Hindsight likely a big underestimation but that’s how it is.

That said, I don’t think it’s something related to the CPU. That would be really strange. When it happens for me, I click the + sign to add the album. The circle starts spinning and then at the top, the progress indicator shows up in purple and when you click on that it shows you the progress of adding and identifying the album. This seems to go through really quickly, maybe about 3-5 seconds. If anything is using CPU it would be this process. Once the identification is complete, the little indicator on the add album to library button keeps spinning. There would be a conditional that says whether this should keep displaying a progress indicator, or a plus sign. Somewhere it’s bugged up and the conditional isn’t changing when adding and identifying is complete.

In regards to updating the database, I assume a database update is necessary but a database update has more to do with disc access speed than CPU speed. Even if there’s an N+1 query which could potentially cause slowness, it’s not likely to be bottlenecked by CPU. CPU heavy operations would be sonic analysis, fourier transform, matrix multiplication, etc. Accessing and updating metadata is almost certainly going to hit the limits of your hard drive speed before it gets bottlenecked by a CPU.

My theory is that somewhere a function is supposed to get called that changes the condition which tells Roon the album has been successfully added. If there were logs or something, it would be easier to pinpoint where in the chain it’s failing. Potentially a success response from Qobuz is timing out or not being received.

@Simon_Arnold3 your Roon Core wouldn’t happen to be behind a double NAT would it? Potentially the core is expecting a response from Qobuz but is not receiving it due to Double Nat.

I am surprised that this has not come up yet. Since you installed Roon on NAS, are you running only HDD? If so, you are doing Roon wrong. You must have Roon installed on SSD – especially for large libraries.

AJ

Yes dsm and roon are both installed on ssd on the nas. then I have 6 hdds in shr-1 that gets about 1000 MB/s read write where I store my music library. the array is fast enough to saturate the 10g connection between my pc and nas.

HDD vs SSD is irrelevant as regards the topic of the thread, as other folks have had this same glitch running on SSDs. I mean, streaming a hi res audio file is going to take what, 2 MB/s if we’re being extremely generous.

No double NAT, the issue wont be with Qobuz it will be Roons servers if anything. When you view Qobuz or Tidal in Roon it’s not via their api it’s via Roons own hosted database. All Qobuz and Tidal libraries are housed on Roons own servers and updated regularly. This is how Roon can do what it can do with music from streaming services like group them with your own, change genres, edit metadata and the extended metadata. Each service provides them with a database dump several times during the week. It only uses the API for the Qobuz section which is like a front window to that service and why it never shows anything as being in your library when viewed directly in that bit. When using search it’s not using the API and is searching Qobuz on Roons servers.

Oddly, I have not experienced the issue at all today. And yeah actually that was a ridiculous thought because if it can stream from qobuz it’s not going to have a problem receiving http responses