Sonic change in Build 778?

That’s probably it. Thank God!

2 Likes

I would describe what I’m hearing as more chicken on the bone, but less cluck

2 Likes

Bill, May I call you Bill?
Perhaps you, like many, make the common mistake of listening only with your ears?

2 Likes

Let the sarcasm keep dripping …

Not bad. Seventy-three posts in. That’s just about the same count the last time you made that comment.

The last time it only took seventy posts.

I suppose your wife, who is not into music, heard the difference from the kitchen.

2 Likes

I love the positive contributions made by most people on this forum …

The problem arises as a consequence of statements like the following:

If you can give me even a tentatively plausible explanation as to how some minor changes in Roon’s code could possibly change the frequency response of any audio system, let alone a ‘good enough to hear the difference’ one, I’d be very grateful. If not, I’ll assume that expectation/cognitive bias is a more likely explanation - if you listen more attentively, on the basis that you expect a change, you’re quite likely to hear one.

1 Like

Ok … I understand the skepticism. In my case I had updated to the new version about 4 days ago and thought to myself … it sounds a bit more beefier. I kept it to myself and I only logged on to this forum since I got an email from Roon to show what has happenned since my last visit … only then did I see this thread which then told me perhaps it just wasn’t me that has heard a difference … don’t ask me why. Which explains why I am late to this party. I cannot explain it either but I only posted here since I can hear a difference.

You have to ask … why would I open myself up to ridicule IF I couldn’t hear a difference. I only posted here since I had experienced it BEFORE knowing about this thread. I consider myself anything but a novice and I am telling you there that there HAS been a sonic change.

I don’t think anyone would suggest you can’t hear a difference. The question concerns the origin: objective reality or cognitive bias/expectation.

In my case you can rule out cognitive bias since I heard it before I had any knowledge of this thread.

1 Like

You don’t need to be conscious of something to experience cognitive bias. Here’s a quick overview of cognitive bias that might help to clarify: What Is Cognitive Bias?

Goodness, please close this pointless thread

Pointless to you, perhaps. The rest of us beg to differ.

My totally pointless reply on Sonic changes between builds.

2 Likes

I love the way the change in font size really adds that holographic depth of field in the audio that was not there before.

The different album view panel really opens up the top end air of my system now.

3 Likes

To my ears, it’s the opposite.

The larger font taxes the CPU more, so there is some loss of depth. And a veil has dropped.

And to establish my credibility - I have golden ears, suffer from no cognitive bias and have a $30k audio system with another $30k spent on cables

edit: Maybe 30K isn’t enough. Do I need to spend more?

3 Likes

The human ear is described in a lot of threads as a super power.
But all it is is a measuring device with a random generator that spins and changes measuring results.
The random generator is influenced by everything that the device bearer experiences and consumes.
Sonic changes? What does that even mean?
It is a a non measurable b****hit term to get a point across.
If only some measurable variable changes, than that is a bigger change than the “sonic change” in a fixed and defined bit perfect protocol like RAAT is.

Oh no, the temperature got up and the air pressure dropped → Sonic change :woozy_face:

/end of rant

2 Likes

It’s definitely possible to spend more:

1 Like

I’ve moved the interesting side discussion on whiskies and listening to its own thread

(…with acknowledgements to @Graeme_Finlayson for the title)

3 Likes