Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system

I run two mRs. I plan to upgrade one of them to 2.5, test for a few weeks until I’m satisfied it’s working well, and only then upgrade the other. In general, unless a major upgrade solves some critical problem, it’s best to wait until early bugs are dealt with, as no beta testing can catch every one of a multitude of system interactions. I did not follow my own advice with Roon 1.3, and I had a few weeks of frustration as early problems were debugged. OTOH, if everyone stands back, then problems won’t be found. That’s why I’ll get one 2.5 test system as soon as 2.5 is released.

Sure but like I said, given that 2.5 comes in a separate card, it is pretty trivial to switch back to 2.3. I don’t see the point in you waiting.

just a thought: am I the only one who would “appreciate”, on microRendu’s product page, a mention about paid software updates? just to know it all before clicking “Buy Now” :wink:

1 Like

My 2c:

There’s a historical expectation with software that goes like “You buy this now and I will work for you for free forever”. This in my opinion is an unacceptable implicit standard. Especially for small operations such as Sonore or Audirvana. If we want quality software we must support the people who produce it.

How to implement this is tricky. Subscription is one (I pay for Adobe soft every month); charge for major releases is another.

Now in my opinion there are a few misses here:
1- Naming: It should’ve been named 3.0. Seriously. Just think about the messaging. Plus the reviews: “Sonicorbiter 2.5” is massively unclear.
2- Distribution: It might well be that a web-based update is just not possible given many changes in the basic OS. Jesus needs to make this very clear.

It doesn’t really help much that Jesus can be a little flippant at times (you know you are!). I personally don’t mind but some people do.

Miguel

3 Likes

I do fully understand @miguelito
plus what we are talking about is just two or three beers (… or twenty, depending on where in the world one lives)

though… I thought what I was buying is hardware. my bad :wink:
(a well known competitor, in these last two years, has released 5 firmware versions for free and each one brought an helluva of major new features)

but before this all goes too far… what I was mostly talking about has “just” to do with… “elegance” :wink:

1 Like

And in some cases firmware updates are paid for… Hard to make a rule, I just have a problem with the assumption because I prefer to pay some every now and then to ensure continued support.

Also can you imagine the outrage on the internets if a line like “Major updates will come at a charge”?

This is not a paid software update and that is not our business model. We have been updating the Sonicorbiter operating system almost on a continuous basis and have made everything available for free with the click of a button. That is our business model. In this special case what you are paying for is the delivery mechanism and the logistics to produce and ship the new Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system. If we could simple update Sonicorbiter 2.3 and achieve the main goals of this update we would. This is a complete new operating system and we are not going to take the chance to brick your unit in the field. We have given this a lot of thought and this is the best way to assure that this update is successful.

SONORE computer audio - Rendu | microRendu | Sonicorbiter SE

3 Likes

great: now everything is clear :slight_smile:
thanks

You are assuming that booting from a card resets the device completely, even it it was misconfigured by a previous card. Maybe, but I’ve seen weird things over the years, such as machine-internal NVRAM getting wrong values that could not be reset by a normal reboot+reinstall (infamously in some older Mac hardware). Proceeding cautiously seems appropriate, especially since none of the new 2.5 features is make-or-break for my systems.

This is nothing more than fearmongering.

1 Like

Strange way of responding to your > $1000 customers. Fortunately, I’ll put up with a lot for a good product, which you definitely have supplied so far.

What you are doing is wrong and I’m going to call you out on it each time. I’m not going to allow you to spread unfounded rumors.

I didn’t spread any rumors. I reported my experience of decades developing systems that are relied on every day by many millions of people. Major software upgrades should be installed deliberately. Mine, yours, everybody’s. You have a good product that I’ve said many good things about here and elsewhere, don’t demean it by insulting a good customer.

1 Like

I don’t care if you are an executive at a computer company…you are insinuating as much. What you are doing is wrong and I’m going to call you out on it each time.

1 Like

hi
I live in Italy and would like to know something about shipping cost
thank you

1 Like

The cost is 20 USD shipped if you are buying it from Sonore / Small Green Computer.

Shipping is included in the price of the upgrade. We will ship your upgrade anywhere.

1 Like

SonicOrbiter SE update also to 2.5 ?

There is no update available for the Sonicorbiter SE

Why is that?

I thought both devices had the same functionality software wise but the hardware differed.

.sjb