SonicOrbiter Success!

Continuing the discussion from RoonReady Sonore Sonicorbiter SE:

A comment and 2 questions:

(1) Just successfully installed sonic orbiter se plus an old MusicStreamer DAC successfully this weekend. Replaced a Sonos ZP90 connected to an old Creek OBH-11 with the upgraded power supply. Wow - what a difference the MusicStreamer+SonicOrbiter configuration over the Sonos - not even a little bit subtle. Plan is to upgrade the DAC to a new DSD capable model, but this first step was way better than I expected, playing red book WAV files and various PCM 24 bit files up to 96k. So much quieter, so much more air bottom end is completely different. Thanks Sonore.

(2) Any reason I can’t put more than one SonicOrbiter on my network? Roon recognized the first one easily - just want to be sure IP isn’t static and non-configurable or other limitation that would prevent more than 1 on the same network.

(3) Anyone tried SonicOrbiter-to-Marantz 8802A via USB or Toslink?

You should have no problems with multiple SOSE.

They will each show up in Roon as network devices with different IP addresses. You can then name the Zone for each of them. You will also see multiple devices in the Sonore configuration app. Not sure if you can name them there.

You can assign a static IP to each device by mapping its MAC to that IP in your router.

Edit: You can give a Network name to each device in the Sonore configuration app. Naming them consistently with Roon zones would be simplest.

Thanks, Andrew.

I have customers that have purchased 3 or 4 Sonicorbiter SE units for a true “whole home” audio solution. They use a microRendu in their listening room and the Sonicorbiter SE for other zones in their homes. Roon lets you create groups that can be controlled together if you have multiple Roon endpoints.

I have not tried the Marantz but I’m using a Sonicorbiter SE to bring Roon to my surround sound receiver.

Thanks for comments and suggestions. Looking forward to replacing Sonos nodes in quality-critical spots.

Let us know how this works out for you.

ANyone else have difficulty getting a toslink cable to seat well into the SonicOrbiter. Have tried 2 mediumn quality cables I had on hand and neither seems to click-and-attach to the SonicOrbiter. This I tried after reallizing that both my Processor (Marantz 8802A) and the SonicOrbiter require usb-A ends. No one makes A-to-A cables, and a quick search online reveals that A to A violates the standard.

Other option is using the micro USB on SonicOrbiter, but is that for power only?

We have been supplying a 90 degree adaptor to help with the optical cable. Where did you buy your unit. If your device has a USB A connector it’s not for streaming audio into it.

Correct! You would blow out the unit if you attach it to the Marantz! This port is for attaching a USB memory key filled with music it is not a USB audio input. It would be USB B if it was.

Time to run a totally biased experiment. I know where this is going to end, but I might as well drag itout for a month or a year. Want to add Roon capability to my main system - dedicated home theatre / listening room, which is controlled by a Marantz 8802A. First stage will be to take SonicOrbiter (#2 - arriving soon) and trying both optical connection and USB output run through USD-to-S/PDIF coax, running through the Marantz’s onboard DAC’s. Here’s why its a biased test: I’ve never been fond of optical connections. I also haven’t had great success with onboard DAC’s in previous AV processors. I haven’t done deep listening through the onboard DAC’s on this one, but it really does have an outstanding and quiet audio-only section, particularly when “pure audio” mode is engaged.

Which brings me to why run this experiment, when the Marantz has built-in capability to stream network audio?
(1) Roon - metadata - interface - no need to tell this crowd
(2) Have to turn on an overhead projector and use a clunky network interface to find music not cool. Tablet interface+no video=more zen.

Really looking forward to my third Roon “zone”,

Total system for those interested:

Oppo BDP 83SE (unversal player with segregated audio only section)
Sota sapphire / Sumiko Bluepoint#2
Roku4
Marantz 8802A
Outlaw 7700 (upgrade candidate)
Focal 1037be L/R
Focal CC1000be (center)
Focal SL/SR/SBL/SBR SR1000be
JL Audio Fathom F113 sub
JVC DLA-X550R projector
Stewart filmscreen greyhawk 100" 16x9
[synology DS716+ NAS, direct ethernet cabled to gigabit router]

Atmos someday when I have the patience to have cable pulled into the ceiling.

Near complete failure on first attempts. Depending on which connection (optical or converted USB->coax S/PDIF), i get various truncation messages and instability. And, it sounds about 20 percent better than AM radio. something seriously wrong.

Does anyone have advice or seen a tutorial on custom DAC configuration on the SOSE? Clearly, I need to do some tweaking.

On the SE with optical output you probable want to stay below 96k. Which USB to SPDIF converter are you using? Also, no need to set up a custom device on the SE.

A bit more experimentation. Optical: the connection at the SOSE is the problem. the 90 degree connector is not robust. Tried two optical cables and two inputs. I can get it to work - sort of - but getting dropouts and very low quality. Coax: treating like a USB connection - required to set as hardware volume control - solved problem.

Sound is suprisingly good using the built-in DACs. Will be doing some comparisons against my Oppo BDP 83SE player and its DAC.

Further update: stability with the Marantz and its built-in DAC’s, using the USB-to-coax conversion seems to be a real problem, requiring frequent re-boots of either the SOSE, the Marantz, or both. Looks like I’ll be going the external DAC route, unfortunately. SInce virtually all of my material is 24/192 WAV file or lower, does anyone have a recommendation for a mid-price (eg $500) DAC that might be discounted nowadays that performs well with SOSE?