SonicTransporter crashes during backup

I have a sonicTanporter i7 with 10TB spinning drive. There is about 4TB data in the drive. When I backup, it only gets though a small part of the music and the instrument crashes. Any ideas?

Since posting several days ago, things have gotten worse and the sonicTransporer is now crashing seemingly randomly. I have generated Roon Server Diagnostic information using the Roon app on sonicTransporter. IS there a way to send it in for review? Thanks.
@support

Hi @birnbaum,

Thanks for tagging us. For future reference, if you wish to receive technical support, it is best to start a thread on #support as this is the only section we regularly monitor for technical assistance issues.

What kind of Roon Remote are you using to control the SonicTransporter? Does the same behavior occur across multiple remotes?

No need to send it, I have activated diagnostics mode on your SonicTransporter and what this action does is automatically upload a log-set to our servers for analysis.

I’m looking over the report now and I do notice a couple of issues. It seems that you’re getting Name Resolution Failures and it looks like you might have a problematic media file. Let’s try this:

1. Please remove this track from your library (move the file out of your current location so Roon does not scan it, but do not delete): Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - Brahms, Symphonies Nos. 2 & 3 - Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 73: 2. Adagio non troppo - L'istesso tempo, ma grazioso

2. Try updating your router’s DNS servers to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS.

Can you give the above a try and let me know if it helps with the issues?

Thanks much. First, I apologize; I am not very knowledgeable about networks. Here goes, anyway:

1. Roon remote? I control Roon primarily using the mac os Roon application. Is that what you are aksing?
  2. I deleted the file
  3. I am a comcast/Xfinity customer, and as far as I can tell there is no way to change the DNS servers on the man Router. Am I missing something?

Hello @birnbaum,

Yes, this is what I was asking. Are you also controlling your SonicTransporter through other means, such as the iOS/Android app? It would be curious to know if the same issue occurs on other apps. When you say “crashes”, does the Roon program exit on the Macbook or just the backup fails?

Has there been any change in behavior since removing the file?

Some routers do not support changing the DNS servers and have it by default locked on the ISP-provided DNS. What we have seen is that ISP-provided DNS server are not quite as reliable as the other DNS servers I mentioned above, meaning that the ISP ones are more prone to errors when trying to translate a web page into an IP address. Having properly working DNS servers can help with buffering issues, and help increase overall network stability.

It has not crashed since I deleted the file. I have my fingers crossed. Before that it crashed when using it from any remote, mostly Mac OS, but that is what I use the most. I do use the iOS app. The truth is it crashed when I wasn’t using it! I’d wake u in the morning and some time during the night the sonicTransporter flipped off. I will try backing it up tonight and see what happened, since that is the most frequent cause of crashing.

1 Like

Thanks for the update here @birnbaum, do let me know if the system remains stable without that file in place.

Well, it went a day without crash, which was looking pretty good since he had not gone that long in weeks, and was in the process of backing up to a USB external drive, which usually crashed it in an hour or tow, so I was optimistic. But then this afternoon I found the sonicTransporter off. As far as I know, no one was playing music at the time. How do you know if it s Roon or the sonicTransporter crashing? Thanks.

Hi @birnbaum,

If there was a crash here, I would expect the SonicTransporter to have rebooted RoonServer, not power off the entire servers. If the behavior re-occurs, can you please provide an approximate timestamp of when you notice the issue so that we can cross-reference logs?

It crashed thrice today while I was using Roon with a iMac as the endpoint via a wired network. The first time was Monday, May 25 at about 3:25 PM EST, and then two more crashes within the next 30 minutes. Thanks.

1 Like

Hello @birnbaum,

Thanks for letting me know those timestamps, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. Once this report has been received, I will request analysis of the logs from our QA team.

Thanks. Roon/soncTransporter crashed sometime last night, when there was no music playing. I don’t know exactly when, but it was some time between 10:00 PM and 6:30 AM.
Appreciate your help.

1 Like

Hi @birnbaum,

I can confirm log files have been received and have been passed to QA for closer inspection.
Once I have their completed report, I’ll let you know. Thanks for your patience!

One more specific date/time: crashed at 12:50 PM, May 30, EST. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @birnbaum,

I appreciate your patience until I have had a chance to receive further feedback from QA.
According to QA, this looks like an un-managed crash (meaning that Roon abruptly stops and no additional data is written to the log). To help clarify, there are a few questions:

1. Do you recall when this issue started occurring? Was there anything notable that happened around that time (new router/new backup location/ect.)?

2. Can you please send us a copy of your SonicTransporter logs? You can access this via Sonicorbiter.com -> Manage -> Apps -> Roon and copy + paste the info into a .txt doc. Please upload to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com.

3. Is there any change in behavior if you try using a fresh database? As in:

• Create a Backup of your Roon database
  • Reinstall the database via Sonicorbiter.com
  • Do not restore yet
  • Try to make a new backup
  • Verify if the backup process works

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.