Sonore opticalRendu

(Jesus Rodriguez) #42

I don’t want to discuss the design more than what has already been disclosed. However, the PS is important.

Why do you expect noise with a linear power supply? If you are worried about noise from a SMPS then connect AC ground to the DC negative and it will shunt the noise.

(Sean) #43

Not a lot of people understand what this means, in practical terms.

Here’s an explanation:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/

@Kenneth_Eis - you could also purchase the Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 to power the Rendu and it will block most of the noise John Swenson discusses in the above link.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

You could also buy an LPS-1 and shunt it (pretty easy).

(Magnus) #45

I play music from a desktop environment in my home-office, but in a treated room with good speakers (it looks more like a studio than an office). My DAC is about 1.5 meter away from the computer. Yes, I know, this is not optimal but lets not dwell on that.

Now the question is: if I use a DAC like a Chord Cutest, or some other DAC with excellent toslink handling, will I actually benefit in sound quality from something like the opticalRendu? According to Rob Watts (and measurements) Chord DAC handles toslink with no jitter, and its certainly free of electronic noise, so whats left to improve upon?

An ethernet transport like opticalRendu can definitely be useful in many situations, but I can’t help wondering if I actually need it in my case.

The opticalRendu does optical Ethernet in and USB out. There is no support for TOSLink.

(Andrew Cox) split this topic #47

26 posts were split to a new topic: Toslink and Chord DACs

(Andrew Cox) split this topic #57

3 posts were split to a new topic: RME ADI-2 DAC General Discussion

(Jesus Rodriguez) #58

As a reminder

If you are interested in this product please sign up to the Sonore mailing list on our website at www.sonore.us or through this direct link:
https://www.sonore.us/mailing-list.html

(Joel Rosenblum) #59

I am really looking forward to this evolution of the Rendu platform and improving my SQ. In anticipation, I did a couple of experiments: 1) I purchased a Startech USB to Fiber converter. I hooked it up to my Intel NUC ROON ROCK server and then using a short Startech fiber GBIC to GBIC cable, hooked it up to my Cisco switch that has 2 10G fiber ports. I wanted to make sure that the ROCK server could communicate to the switch and in turn to the Internet. It worked! Success #1. 2) This first experiment was a step to this one. I read in another forum post that a member had the best SQ using a dedicated Ethernet connection to their Rendu from the server which had a second separate connection to the switch and in turn to the Internet. My idea was to do the same, but with fiber. My Rendu is about 50 feet from my ROON ROCK server. So, using the Startech USB to fiber converter on the server, I purchased a 50 foot fiber cable, and at the Rendu end, used a TrendNet fiber to Ethernet converter to connect to the Rendu. Note that I then needed a short Ethernet cable from the TrendNet converter to the Rendu. I used a 3 foot cable. It worked! Success #2. 3) Now I’m almost ready for the Optical Rendu. I just need to run the fiber under my floor instead of across it. Then, once my Optical Rendu arrives, I will be able to eliminate the TrendNet converter since the fiber will go directly into the Rendu. Nice!

Oh, forgot to mention that during this last test, seemed to me that a veil had been lifted from the music playing on my system as well as better transients. I’m convinced that this is a result of the fiber which replace the 50 foot length of Ethernet and because the fiber is not subject to ANY EMI/RFI. This implies, of course, that the Ethernet (Copper-based) is subject to this interference, which it is. I’m excited for this next evolution and I’m already on Jesus’ email list.

really looking forward to this becoming available.

(Jesus Rodriguez) #61

The unit are available for purchase on our site. These are for pre-order only since we are not ready to ship just yet.

There are enough reports of the impact of switch “tweaking” on SQ to suggest there’s something real going on. Hence the rush for new products. I found a very noticeable increase in SQ when I introduced a CISCO 2960. I suspect there are incremental benefits to be had here, including the new products but it might be that you can get a good improvement with modest investment. A second hand CISCO switch is £60.

Toslink and Chord DACs

Curious as to what the cost of the hardware was to perform your tests.

(Magnus) #64

Has anyone tried the opticalRendu on a DAC with good toslink (like a Chord DAC or RME ADI-2 DAC), and compared sound? 6 months ago I would have been certain it would sound much better than toslink on those DACs, but now I am not so sure.

(Jesus Rodriguez) #65

These have not started shipping yet. Only the Signature Rendu SE update is in progress and there are only a few in the wild at this time.

(John Culver) #66

I have one of the first updates on my SE. I got the tier 3 upgrade, which includes optical and a new ps. I don’t have time for a full review right now, but I can say that the improvement is very significant. The sound is now very analog and natural. A touch of brightness I experienced on long listening sessions is gone. Highly recommend.

1 Like
(John Culver) #67

And, I really appreciate the fact that my SE could be upgraded and was not made obsolete(ish) by the new approach. I appreciated that with the 1.4 option for my MR as well. That approach makes it easier for me to commit to your brand. Thanks for that.

1 Like
(Jesus Rodriguez) #68

Update

I’m very happy to announce that today we starting shipping the opticalRendu. By tomorrow all back order units will have been shipped. We also have inventory ready for new sales so order with confidence. Enjoy!

opticalModule is now on sale pre-order only. It’s to soon to set a firm ship date, but we expect to ship the opticalModules in about 2 weeks or sooner if possible.

Nice! Maybe just a suggestion / idea: offer the opticalModule as a package deal (two units plus a fiber cable) for those that don’t have a switch with optical port, and just Ethernet endpoint

1 Like

Did you remove the white protective caps seen on the cable in the first photo before attempting to insert the cable into the SFP? Those caps are to keep dust from getting into the cable when it is not in use.