Sonore systemOptique

That was a fun project! Some day I’ll post the story behind that product.

Don’t be shy.

I’ve asked John many nitty gritty questions over the years and seen others do the same…

I’ve seen him ignore some questions that have an obvious ‘smart ass’ tone about them, but I’d do the same and ignore those too, to be honest, whether on a forum or in real life…

If one can ask questions politely and respectfully, he’s always been happy to share what he knows.

Asking those questions here is like talking to yourself in a room… because they are questions only John can answer… Don’t be shy, give it a shot.

Looks like I’ve been caught ‘leg before’ here (cricket speak for anyone else reading).

My full post is here, 2 years ago:

TP-Link fiber optic conversion questions? - #27 by dabassgoesboomboom

I’m not sure what I meant by ‘as much fiber cable as possible’ at the time.

And today I probably wouldn’t recommend (in general) to others such a short RJ45 ethernet cable. I’ve since learnt from experts that very very short ethernet cables (under ~1m) can sometimes have performance issues… but my full post above did mention my particular 6-inch cable was tested and certified by Blue Jeans Cable. I don’t use that 6-incher anymore though - different system layout, needed longer cables in new layout.

1 Like

The INT product sounds a very good idea. Innuos has a separate low noise power supply dedicated to the usb and ethernet outputs, which the SonicOrbiter did not, so an optical output would I presume have much the same benefit in the SonicOrbiter products.

I use media converters for an optical bridge between the router and server, not between the server and streamer which INT will do. Someone posted they were buying two optical converters to make an optical bridge as I and many others do. You’ve clarified it’s nothing to do with jitter. I am looking for a simple non-technical explanation why the optical bridge might be better for that use than TPLink, assuming a clean power supply is used. That’s the issue I raised in my first post, because there are probably lots of people who won’t need a Sonore streamer but do employ optical bridges.

As far as my system is concerned, I got my first streamer 10 years ago but have never used a computer. The digital signal path is completely focused on low noise, clean power and RF/EMI rejection. From my fibre optic source to the speaker terminals, the only copper cable are two 0.75m CAT7 cables powered by a 9v battery and a dedicated linear power supply respectively. It is carefully thought through for both digital and analogue plus my family use it with Spotify and Airplay from mobile devices without having to switch anything on, touch anything or know how it works.

I think your understand of how your system works is influenced by enthusiastic marketing :slight_smile: However that discussion is off topic here because we are discussing Sonore systemOptique. We have not had a SonicOrbiter product in our product line for some years and we don’t make music servers so I’m not sure why you bring this up. What I can tell you is each Rendu in the series has had increased attention paid to the power scheme of it’s important circuits. For example the microRendu has 4 ultra low noise linear regulators. The ultraRendu has 6 ultra low noise linear regulators. The opticalRendu has 11 ultra low noise linear regulators. These all feed important circuits as only a ground up design can.

John’s explanation of some of the technology in our system is as simple and non technical as can be. There is nothing more to add.

The entire Rendu series can be used streaming directly from a NAS or a mobile device as you describe, but at a lower price point compared to a music server with a fixed linear power supply. We don’t discourage people from using their existing computers as a server because we are a remote network attached output in the audio room. BTW a music server in a fancy case with a linear supply is a computer and computers generate and emit RF/EMI.

While I’m sure you have paid great attention to your system please keep the conversation on topic.

Someone mentioned Chord before. Well this a direct quote from a Chord M-Scaler and Dave owner who posted on AudiophileStyle.com,

“ Tonight I am sitting here in amazement! I have been burning in the OM and the Optical Sig Rendu SE for 48 hours and tonight I sat down to listen and I am in heaven! The OM and OSigRendu SE are feeding a Chord M scaler and Chord Dave. The music is relaxed and so enjoyable! Previously, I had a microRendu which is really good but this is a great enhancement to my system. There is definitely a little more bass which seems appropriate and not artificial. I am listening to live Robert Cray tonight and you can close your eyes and spatially hear the band members where they should be! Yes, I can close my eyes and I am there! Earlier I was listening to some Sonny Rollins and the clarity was intense as you could hear him purse his lips on the mouthpiece of his saxophone!

This is a great addition to my system and I want to thank everyone at Sonore for a job well done!

Cheers!”

Rather presumptuous! My system was chosen to meet specific objectives (ease of family use, digital and vinyl, small, low heat, low noise, focus on classical and jazz). I have almost always spoken direct to the manufacturer to understand a product and am highly critical of marketing, which is why I raised issues here in the first place.

Roon (and this is the Roon forum) makes a computer processor unavoidable. Roon sensibly make two versions of the Nucleus with different processing power, the i7 trade-off being noise and a bit more cost, but I chose a unit that uses a more efficient and cleaner Intel processor, slightly less powerful than the core i3. As my system operates entirely in 24/192 and I only have three endpoints, it was more than sufficient. I checked the processor performance data on Intel’s website.

I say that as an example of how I was able to make an informed purchasing decision without having to go back to college to get a degree in electronics. That applies to cars, fridges, audio, anything. I have recently bought a car, a fridge and some audio and have received comprehensive and understandable information to inform my decision. The car purchase was interesting as we went through the requirements with the. manufacturer and I ended up buying a cheaper car than expected. I have asked what a pair of the optical converters used as a bridge with a good power supply (a 9v battery here) offer in performance terms over the standard consumer product. I guess I’ll never know.

I am very happy with one opticalModule in my set-up. I take the ethernet output from my wireless router into a TrendNet TEG S51-SFP switch. A long run of fiber optic cable goes into the opticalModule. A .75m run of ethernet from the opticalModule into my dCS Upsampler.

Thank you for posting feedback here. This setup is exactly the one that a reviewer from www.audiostream.com is going to be performing soon. Enjoy!

systemOptique Update

Above we listed some of the Sonore products which we recommend for you get the WOW factor. Items #1, #2, and #3 have been available for some time and feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Enjoy.

I’m happy to report that #4 is now available just in time for the holidays. We had a soft start during Black Friday and the SGC sonicTransporters is now shipping with fiber optical output built right into the server. FYI no switch is needed because it plays directly into an opticalRendu without passing go! In case you are wondering, this solution is based on the opticalModule design and provides 100% galvanic isolation between server and endpoint. Let us know any questions.

Look Ma no switch

1 Like

Do you mind telling me which sfp modules you used both in the trendnet switch and the opticalmodule? Also, are you using LC 62.5/125 fiber cable? I pretty much want to replicate what you’ve done. Regards, Alan

I am using the TrendNet TEG-s51SFP/A switch. The opticalModule was ordered from Small Green Computer. I purchased 15 meters of OM1 LC LC fiber Patch Cable 1GB Duplex off Amazon that was filled by FiberCablesDirect.

Thanks for your response. Last question for you is which transceiver are you using in the Trendnet? Is it the TP Link TL-SM311LM? That seems to be the one that Sonore uses and sells. Thanks

I am not 100% sure. The fiber optic link was already in the switch when I received it. Small Green Computer was offering a package that included the switch and a short cable on their site but I no longer see it. You may want to contact them to see what it was. That arrived about a month and a half before the opticalModuel was released.

Hi Jesus

Are the optical modules still available? I have one that has failed but can’t seem to source a replacement. Help please

Derek

We are in production for the new version, but no eta yet.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. Could you please keep me posted on progress and eta. Thanks