SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

If the Roon core PC (source) and the DLNA/UPnP A/V preamp (sink) both were hardwired via Ethernet to the same router, where would the Sonore device exist in the network signal chain? Between the router and the A/V preamp? Would that still support full IP traffic passthrough to/from the A/V preamp? And what about HQPlayer NAA in addition to Roon RAAT support?

Thanks…

AJ

Sonore UPNP Bridge runs on Sonicorbiter based units and they also connect to your router. The various output modes are available and selectable as needed.

Yeah, I get it now. I am not sure why I was thinking of audio transfer in a traditional one way, input/output manner. Rather, Ethernet is bidirectional. And the Sonicorbiter is a mini computer, not an audio component. So, if a Roon core, a Sonicorbiter running UPnP Bridge, and a DLNA/UPnP preamp all were hung off of the same central router, the following would be the signal path over Ethernet:

Roon core -> router -> Sonicorbiter -> router -> DLNA/UPnP preamp

Correct?

AJ

Just for perspective, though, running DSD into a home theater component is pointless in many cases. An AVR definitely will decimate DSD to PCM if any processing (e.g. bass management, room correction) is engaged. Or even in a pure direct type mode, many AVRs still do not support a DSD signal path all the way through the DAC.

AJ

OK, did not know that. Thought that DSD is DSD when it shows DSD.

Still not sure if I am should change gear to get DSD through roon. My Mcintosh amp build in DAC does not support DSD. Have listened to a few dsf tracks through my SR7010 feeding into the McIntosh MA7900 in passthru mode and they sounded nice/different.

Now I wonder how much of this was due to the processing as you stated. But I do not want to derail this thread with a DSD discussion.

I updated the post above to include a flow diagram and a connection scheme since they are different.

Correct. What the receiver/processor does with DSD is a toss up and hidden behind clever wording in the marketing and manuals. However, currently we can only stream DoP with Roon and pretty sure receivers/processors do not support it.

It’s okay to discuss this IMO because people need to understand the limitations of receivers/processors.

Here is a link to an old thread with some useful information on the topic:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1230824-list-av-receivers-pre-pros-pure-dsd-analog-processing.html

Unlike PCM, DSD just does allow for traditional FIR or IIR digital filtering – because DSD encodes not actual signal values at points in time but signal difference and error values between points in time. Any digital signal processing means that DSD must be converted to PCM.

For example, Jussi Lasko could speak to this in greater detail, but I believe that any DSD to DSD upsampling has to undergo a multi bit intermediate step. If so, that DSD64 to DSD128 is no longer pure DSD.

This may not be a popular opinion among DSD adherents, but DSD disadvantages oft outweigh any supposed benefits. Many systems are much better off converting DSD to PCM to allow for digital volume control, bass management, etc. And Roon or HQPlayer potentially can decimate DSD to PCM better than can the commodity level (e.g. TI, MediaTek) chips in AVRs.

AJ

1 Like

Just to reiterate a previous question, will this signal flow be an option?

Roon core -> HQPlayer -> router -> Sonicorbiter -> router -> DLNA/UPnP device

I understand that the Sonicorbiter supports both Roon RAAT and HQPlayer NAA. But will it still do the latter when in DLNA/UPnP bridge mode?

AJ

No, you can’t use HQ Player in the signal patch and it’s not a project goal.
Yes, both RoonReady and Signalyst NAA are still available output modes on the Sonicorbiter endpoints.

Would love to try this with my Linn DS but if it fails the price is to steep to my liking.
But defeantly a huge step in the right direction thanks Jezus.

Hopefully the Linn support is tested soon and i can get this thing on the route :smiley:

We are going to release it soon and I’m sure someone will try the combination and report back. I’m also curious how the various devices will behave.

I’m looking a sonicTransporter owner willing to test and provide feedback?

Ok, I like the idea very much.
SonicTranporter i7 - all kind of files on Qnap nas.
dCS Rossini streamer/DAC ( =RoonReady)

Thank you for the insight in PCM vs DSD. Will definitely have to read a bit more on the subject. Was hoping that the receiver would be a cost effective way of listening to the few DSD files I have, but I can now discard that idea.

Did play around with the trial of HQPlayer, but HQPlayer is too technical for me. I see all kinds or acronyms/terms that don’t mean anything to me, FIR, IIR, convolution, etc…, decided to leave HQPlayer for that reason. But who knows, the amount I learned in this community since roon started, there is hope…:grin:

Now I am even more inclined to invest in a decent DAC that handles PCM perfectly and let roon convert DSD on the fly. I only hate that roon shows no purple star, but shows a conversion. Or maybe the IFI iDAC DSD, reasonably priced and I could try if I really want to invest further into the DSD route.

The SonoreUPnP Bridge application was released on the Sonicorbiter operating system this afternoon. Please test your DLNA/UPNP devices and post either confirmed or busted. For confirmed devices let us know the product tested and the stream format (WAV or PCM) that worked for you.

Would this work with HQPlayer embedded using Rygel? i.e. Could I use this to make a headless Linux RoonReady HQPlayer endpoint?

Roon already supports streaming directly to HQ Player.

I understand that, but to use the native integration you have to use HQPlayer Desktop which doesn’t run headless.