SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

I have the SonoreUPnP Bridge going into my NDS also, and it plays all formats (up to 24/192 and DSD64) from Roon perfectly.

I am running the SonoreUPnP on an UltraRendu, with the setting for WAV output from the bridge and no FLAC compression and DOP (DSD over PCM) in Roon for the device.
With these settings it presents a WAV format on the Ethernet input for all PCM formats and native DSD64 for all dsf files. I found these settings worked and sounded the best a few years ago, and haven’t needed to adjust them since.

Thanks to all for your comments. We seem to have fixed the issue for now. I have disabled flac compression in Roon and selected LPCM for the bridge. The NDS sees that as a form of PCM, not FLAC. It has been streaming Qobuz 192 stuff on repeat for the last couple of hours, play history shows that there were no glitches at all. That is odd for me, I have had the bridge for at least 2 years and when I first set it up I selected LPCM but got a horrible distorted noise coming through the streamer. WAV fixed that in my case (maybe by accident), but I think I have tolerated the odd dropout without really paying any attention to it, because I tend to select music on the fly and it is unusual for me to play e.g. 1 hour solid of 192 files. Anyway, all is well for now, thanks again for comments, there is life in the NDS yet - especially with an ER fed by a nice LPS which has raised the bar high. Like Simon, I do wonder about the value proposition of the ND555 when a well sorted NDS can sound so good.

1 Like

Good stuff.

Yes, I am still looking to hear an NDS alongside an ND555 using Roon as the playback method (same PSU, cabling etc.)

We have WAV and LPCM streaming on the SonoreUPnP Bridge App for compatibility with the greatest number of devices. However, WAV streaming, continuous streams, have a limitation and when you reach it limit you get this drop out. It’s a specification issue out of our control.

Sonore have just made an updated version of the SonoreUPnP Bridge, as version 1.0.15 was not connecting after a reboot (1.0.14 was working fine, so not sure what version 1.0.15 updated or added)

Update to version 1.0.16 and associated library updates and connection, following reboot is re-established with the Naim network player, and presents it as a Zone in Roon.

WAV is now playing, again, on my Naim NDS through Roon from a FLAC file.

I’ve tired to decipher this by reading a few threads but am a little confused.
I have a NAIM ND5XS, and am considering adding Roon to it.

Is this still a good option for the UPNP Bridge functionality? (Sonore UPnP Bridge – Small Green Computer)

It also seems that the Microrendu has UPNP Bridge, but which of the Output modes corresponds to that?

If I get either of these two products, do I still need Roon server on a computer in my network or can I do it fully from the Roon iOS APP if I’m just looking to pass Qobuz / Tidal through?

Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

Nathan

I use the Sonore UPnP Bridge software to connect my Hegel H390 network amplifier with Roon. I don’t have the hardware version of the bridge.
The bridge software is installed on a computer with the Sonicorbiter platform, on which Roon Server is also installed. The bridge software is seen by Roon as an endpoint and appears there as a Squeezebox player. This then sends the music via the UPnP protocol via the network to the streamer that is built inside my amplifier.
So yes: you do need Roon Server or ROCK. This is the core.

I hope this makes sense to you. I don’t know anything about Naim, so I cannot comment on that.

I can say that the Microrendu is something else. This device will also be seen as a Roon endpoint. Via the network, Roon will send music to the Rendu. The Rendu then sends a music stream to a dac via usb.
That the Rendu also supports UPnP means that you can stream music to it over the network with this protocol, with other server software than Roon.

I use Sonore UpNP Bridge with Naim NDS. It works perfectly.

Yes, this is a good option for you.
The Rendu’s output protocols are separate and the SonoreUPnP Bridge runs in the background at the same time.
Yes, you need Roon server running to stream with this application.

Hi Jesus,
I have the Naim nd5xs, a nuc8i7 with ROCK and the Sonore upnpbridge.
Does an upsampling in Roon makes sense (which format, sample rate?) as the upnpbridge does a new conversion to either wav or lpcm (which one is better in my setting?).
So
1: settings in Roon and
2: settings in Sonore upnpbridge.
thanx

Roon settings used with SonoreUPnP Bridge & my NDS/555DR

And SonoreUPnP Bridge settings

I run the SonoreUPnP Bridge on a UltraRendu 1.0 unit with UltraCap LPS 1

Hope this helps

I and others have found the sound quality to dip when using DSP in Roon, (i.e. upsampling) but many others use it and don’t find that, so as in everything audio YMMV.

FYI:

If anyone is having issues with Bridge in Roon, I suggest upping the resync time. To my Naim Unitiqute 24/96 using a microRendu 1.4 for Bridge purpose only, I had it set to 500ms and was getting constant dropouts and the need to restart the app. Upped it to 2000ms (it’s in the Squeezelite Device Settings, in Roon) and no problems for a few days.

No, no issues with the SonoreUPnP Bridge running on an UltraRendu to my Naim NDS Network player. Resync delay is set to 0ms, i.e. none, and never had to adjust this setting.
Roon Server is a ROCK based NUC5i3 with 8GB and 240GB SATA SSD

I should have mentioned there’s a Cisco 2960 switch and a 10GTek FMC before the UQ as well. I think it was at the switch there might be a timing issue, as I had to reset it a couple of times as well. Anyway, just saying IF you have any problems, the resync setting is something one might want to have a look at first.

@Jesus_Rodriguez
I have an Audiostore Nova server with Sonicorbiter software, version 2.8. On this, I have the SonoreUPnP Bridge installed. Until yesterday, this worked perfectly, sending music to my Hegel H390 with Roon.
But after powering down the server and turning it on again, the SonoreUPnP Bridge refuses to work. It says: Bridge not running…
I have tried everything I can come up with… restart all devices, uninstalling and reinstalling the bridge, clearing Roon Server cache,but it simply will not run. It also won’t try to scan my network for available renderers, i.e. my Hegel.
I noticed, while reinstalling the bridge, that it says that version 1.4 is to be installed, while in the end the installed version is 1.6.
Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

I’m sure Jesus will jump in at some point, but my advice is to restart all network devices preceding it - modem, switch, router etc. I’ve found for any Sonore non-discovery issues that’s usually what is needed. Just shutting down the audio devices won’t do it.

Thank you, Charles, I will give it a try.

1.0.16 is the latest version of the SonoreUPnP Bridge.
On my UltraRendu, this is operational for me, to a Naim NDS Network player.
A network reboot is a good place to start. Then ensure that your SonicOrbiter device can be found using the ‘Find my Unit’ on sonore.us website.
Check there is no required Software Updates for SonicOrbiterOS and the Bridge.

Thanks Simon. Everything is up to date. A total reboot didn’t bring the bridge to life.
Usually when something goes wrong, the bridge reports that it cannot find the server or renderer. But now it simply isn’t running.