Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
2018 Mac Mini, Core i7, 32 GB RAM, wired network to switch / router, Roon core 1.6, Build 401
Router: Netgear WNDR3700, Switch: Netgear GS108
Audio Devices (Specify connection type - USB/HDMI/ect.)
Attached storage on above PC via USB3, mp3 / m4a audio, no flac or other lossless files in use
- Mac mini, HDMI to Denon receiver
- Sonos Connect, wired network to switch / router; RCA input to receiver
- Sonos Play:5, Sonos mesh
- Sonos Play:1 (L+R paired), Sonos mesh
- Denon receiver (HDMI and AirPlay)
- Sonos Play:5, AirPlay (grouped in app Play:5 configuration to allow for automatic port to Sonos Play:1)
Description Of Issue
@support Dropout issues with Roon core:
Using Roon to play audio through either grouped or ungrouped Sonos speaker setup using Sonos mesh results in random dropouts, ranging from once or twice within an hour to several times within a few minutes. Sometimes the Roon app states it has lost control of the audio device, however, more frequently the Roon app simply stops, and selecting Play will not resume playback. On a few occasions playback is regained by directly starting the Sonos app and using the controls from there, with the Roon app still frozen. Restarting the Roon core app usually resolves the issue.
All available playback configurations are successful (no dropouts) without Roon core:
- Directly using the Sonos app via any native configuration (Sonos mesh or AirPlay)
- Grouped or ungrouped, no issues during playback
Successful playback with Roon (no dropouts):
- Roon playback using Sonos Play:5 via AirPlay (automatically ports to Play:1)
- Grouped to receiver AirPlay
- Playback direct from PC receiver HDMI
- Ungrouped Sonos speakers, using just one Sonos mesh device or the Connect wired device resulted in reliable playback from the wired Connect, but noticed a few dropouts within an hour with the ungrouped Sonos mesh speakers (Play:1, Play:5)
- Set Mac Mini to wireless (bypass wired switch / router); same original frequency of dropout issues. As above, worse when Sonos is grouped, less so when playing individually assigned.
Please let me know what additional info or testing you require to address this issue, your help is greatly appreciated.