Sonos connection lost

Sometimes Roon looses all connections to my Sonos Connect. Roon indicates the music is playing (while it is no longer). Pause button does not respond, as well as the ‘disable’ option for the Sonos endpoint. Playing music from the Sonos app works just fine.

A restart of the roon core fixes the problem.
Sonos Connect is ethernet wired to my roon core on a linux NUC.

Hello @leidner,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to assist here. I have a few questions as to properly being troubleshooting:

• Can you please let me know if your other endpoints are working as expected?
  • Do you notice any other issues with USB based or Chromecast endpoints or is this issue localized to your Sonos endpoint?
  • What is the model/manufacturer of your router?
  • Are you making use of any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters? If so please provide the model/manufacturer for them.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Thanks for getting back to me. Here are the answers:

• Can you please let me know if your other endpoints are working as expected?

At the time, I had the Sonos Connect and Sonos Play:5 setup as endpoints.

I did not test playback to the Play:5.

• Do you notice any other issues with USB based or Chromecast endpoints or is this issue localized to your Sonos endpoint?

I only use the Sonos endpoints.

• What is the model/manufacturer of your router?

Fritz-box

• Are you making use of any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters? If so please provide the model/manufacturer for them.

I have an Ubiquiti switch and two Ubiquiti access points.

Please note the Sonos is connected over ethernet.

The Roon app on my iPhone was working fine; only the play/pause and disable/enable buttons did not respond.

Cheers,
Marc

Hello @leidner,

Thanks for letting me know that information. There are a few things that can try based on your networking equipment:

• If you have not done so yet, I would try rebooting all your networking gear and the SONOS endpoint.

• Since you are making use of a Fritz-box, I would check to make sure that “Software Packet Acceleration” is turned off in the settings as per our Networking Best Practices Guide

• For the Unifi switch and access points, I would try to enable “flow control” to see if that has any effect and make sure that AP Isolation or Multicast filtering is not enabled. You can see this thread for more info: (Loss of the remote connection to the Roon server)

Please let me know if my above suggestions help.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks. My Fritzbox does run OS 7, but that “Software Packet Acceleration” option is nowhere to be found :frowning:

I will also check my Unifi settings.

However, if Roon core loses connection to the endpoint and this is resolved after a restart of the core software (not the endpoint hardware, nor my network equipment), then IMHO this seems to be a problem with the Roon core software?

The problem just happend again. Connection got lost while scrubbing the playing track (from local file on room core SSD). Now, to see if roon would be able to stream to other endpoints, I plugged in my raspberry (usually it is not in use and powered off). Roon would not see it either. After a restart of the roon server everything works again (sonos and raspberry endpoints).

Hello @leidner,

Thanks for letting me know. Since the Rasberry Pi was not showing up either, this leads me to believe that there may be something networking related going on blocking mutlicast traffic from properly being delivered and the network is dropping the connection.

Can you please check the Flow Control settings on your Unifi Switches and make sure that Multicast filtering is not turned on? I have also found this article in German -> translated to English that specifies a way to enable Mutlicast Proxying which may help here.

Please let me know if making these changes helps resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Since the Rasberry Pi was not showing up either, this leads me to believe that there may be something networking related going on blocking mutlicast traffic from properly being delivered and the network is dropping the connection.

The Raspberry was NOT powered on at first. I only turned it on once Roon could not pause/play to Sonos anymore.

It was resolved after a restart of the Roon core software.

Normally when Roon code is running, if I unplug/plug the Raspberry it disappears and reappears within a couple of seconds. This does NOT indicate a netwerk problem imho.

Can you please check the Flow Control settings on your Unifi Switches and make sure that Multicast filtering is not turned on?

I have checked my Unifi settings:

Enable flow control = on

Multicast Enhancement = off

I have also found this article in German -> translated to English that specifies a way to enable Mutlicast Proxying which may help here.

Sorry, this option is not shown in my Fritzbox. However, this seems to be for wireless which I have completely disabled on the Fritz.

Please note my core and endpoints are on ethernet. I can’t imagine how wifi settings have an impact. I am only using wifi on my iPhone to control Roon.

What makes you think the problem is not in the Roon software? As a software restart clearly fixes the problem.

Cheers,

Marc

Hey @leidner – Noris and I have been discussing your issue, and he will be in touch to gather some more information soon so we can get this resolved for you.

In the meantime, I just wanted to mention one thing:

We’ve seen a large number of issues related to Fritzbox routers, and I see you have a high-quality switch and pair of access points. If possible, I’d recommend making a similar upgrade to the Fritzbox.

We’ve seen a number of issues resolve themselves by switching the Fritzbox to simply work as a modem, using a full feature consumer router to administer the network traffic. In particular, the IPTV functionality seems to cause issues.

None of this is to say we’re not going to be able to get this working with the current router, just to mention what we’ve seen a number of times, in case you’re thinking of upgrading.

Noris will be in touch soon with next steps, and thanks for your patience!

Thanks for the heads up. I will be waiting for your response…

Hello @leidner,

Other than trying with another modem to verify if the behavior is the same, I would like to go ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account. What this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I kindly ask for you to reproduce this issue once more and then let me know the exact local time in your country (ex. 12:17PM) that you experience the Sonos disconnect from your Core. I will them be sure to cross-reference the diagnostics for any signs of instability at that point and loop in the QA team if needed.

Please let me know your findings and timestamp when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
I have just reproduced the problem, at 19:13 Amsterdam time.
I was playing and scrubbing a TIDAL song on the Sonos.
Can’t switch or transfer to another endpoint also.
Marc

Hello @leidner,

Thanks for posting the timestamp. I have just checked our diagnostics server and unfortunately the report for your machine has still not reached our servers. Can I please ask you to manually send us the logs from your machine using these instructions? Uploading them to a shared Dropbox link or shared Google Drive link would be the best way to get them over to us but if you don’t use either service, just let me know and I can provide an alternate upload method.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,
The logs are here: https://we.tl/t-Q2IGV5gSEf
Hope you find anything useful.
Marc

Hello @leidner,

Thank you for submitting those logs. I am not seeing any clear reason why the disconnect is occurring and I have gone ahead and started a case for you with our QA team who will be able to provide further analysis. I appreciate your patience while your case reaches their queue and I will be sure to let you know their feedback as soon as they pass it over to me.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @leidner,

I appreciate your patience here while QA has reviewed the diagnostics. Unfortunately, the diagnostic information so far has been inconclusive and as such, we have gone ahead and enabled some additional debugging tools for your account which will hopefully help pinpoint the issue further.

Can I kindly ask for you to reproduce this issue once more with the additional diagnostics tools turned on and note the exact local time you experience the issue again? After I receive that information from you and a set of the new diagnostics, I will be sure to notify the QA team and we can investigate this issue further.

Thanks,
Noris

Happend just now at 08:28 in the morning.
Cheers,
Marc

Hello @leidner,

Thanks for confirming that for me, the diagnostics from your machine have been received and have submitted to QA for analysis. I will be sure to let you know once I have some feedback for your case with the additional debugging traces enabled and I appreciate your patience while this case reaches our QA team’s queue.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi guys, any news on this one?