Sonos Device disappears from Roon [Resolved]

I took early retirement (age 59) last September. I have to say it’s the best thing I ever did. It’s not what you earn, it’s what you need. I’m still buzzing over the fact that me and the wife can get up each morning and then decide what we want to do. I don’t miss working one bit. :sunglasses:

I have a stereo pair of Sonos 1 speakers in the kitchen, wireless to the router…which is only approx 5 metres away. No problems or dropouts. Sonos Roam is also very reliable as a garden application during the summer months. My ISP is Virgin and I am using the hub router in modem mode, linked into a Netgear router.

3 Likes

I hadn’t really thought about that, but as I pass on many a thread, clearly I have and just rationalised it away at the back of my mind

2 Likes

Well good for you, and hopefully Ged and I will be there soon

I never had a problem with the Virgin hub in place either, but the rest of my set-up works so well with the Orbi.

2 Play 1s make a wonderful little stereo pair, now I think that little Sub might be able to be used with them as well :thinking::flushed:

Both the Move and Roam are great little devices, I have a Move for the garden and it got a lot of use this summer and the Roam goes everywhere with me when I travel

3 Likes

We’ll get sent to the back of the class for hijacking the thread. @moderators you can split us off baby.

3 Likes

and we’re back in the room.

2 Likes

Fully back on topic, as opposed to marginally on topic.

As I have a few hours to kill while waiting my son to leave London and meet him in Bath (and the wife is out for the day), I thought I would strip down my Roon Core and plug it directly into the Orbi Mesh router and turn off the only Sonos devices that are not connected to via the SonosNet (a Move and a Roam) and do this test over again.

First reboot everything comes up as it always does, now I will leave it running with both the Core and the Boost plugged into the network and see if it is still running again when I get home from Bath tonight.
Currently I have streams running to 4 zones across the house through Roon and not my usual Sonos linking, but it has only been up 25 minutes and it is working fine.

First thing to notice is it is actually linking zones as opposed to playing the music to multiple zones. I have not noticed it doing that reliability for a long time (if at all as far as I can remember without the music falling over). I got into the habit of linking them in Sonos for reliability purposes but I will leave it running this way for now.

So :crossed_fingers: that this lasts more than 6 hours or two weeks.

2 Likes

So 2 weeks ago today I reset my Sonos devices back to SonosNet and turned off the Sonos Move and Roam to test the theory that this issue was being caused by Mesh networks.

Everything Sonos wise is now run off the Sonos Boost plugged into the main router and with the Roon Core moved from upstairs setup plugged into the Orbi satellite to the downstairs Orbi router and plugged in directly to that.

After 2 weeks and one Roon update I can confirm that I have not had a single drop off from any Sonos devices, which does sort of suggest there are issues with Sonos and Mesh networks for some of us.

Running on Roon Rock I have seen some minor stability issues where Roon server (never Rock) has restarted itself have 24 hours a couple of times and had to be restarted a couple of times after becoming unresponsive when opening the app, but other than that all has been great again.

I currently have no UPS downstairs and so we have had 2 micro power cuts that have caused the Core to reboot, so I ordered a new UPS and that should be here today, so hopefully another thing ticked off the what can go wrong list.

My ARC continues to work perfectly never dropped off once. I do wonder if it’s something to do with how they communicate with each other if more than one and this is causing the issue with Roon.

Yes they create their own Mesh which can cause issues when used with some Mesh networks especially when on Ethernet. Having had Sonos since 2006 I never once had an issue before 2 years ago after a Sonos update.

I previously confirmed that when plugged in to my Ethernet they created their own Mesh and took over routing over my Orbi, even though the Orbi was 10x faster. I raised a ticket with Sonos who confirmed the issue and offered no solution besides unplugging all devices and plugging in my Boost or moving to WiFi only, which I did for 2 years.
WiFi worked perfectly with everything but Roon and could run all day, but Roon has some sort of discovery issue when also on a Mesh.

Current solution of Roon and Sonos Boost on the main router and everything else as it was just works (at least for 2 weeks).
This might help someone else coming down the line who has this issue.

Hello All,

We have just released an improvement regarding this issue in our newest release, can you please update to the latest Roon version (build 1133) and let us know if you’re seeing any improvement with regard to this issue? Thanks!

1 Like

I saw this is change log before updating: “Resolved an issue which could cause Sonos devices to disappear from the Audio tab in Roon”

After update of ROCK, I re-enabled my 1 remaining Sonos Play 5.
Lasted less than 5 minutes in Audio Devices before it went AWOL again.
Still available via Airplay, as always.

Be interested to hear what others are experiencing.

Well I fixed my problem by moving the core back to be on the same switch as the Sonos Boost.
I updated the last night and it was still there this morning, but it was doing that for the last 3 weeks

If all is well on the weekend I will move the Roon Core back upstairs where I know it will fail and leave it there for the week if it stays working.
If not it will come back down stars again and wait for the next update

1 Like

Hey @ogdens_sliced ,

Can you please let me know the timestamps next time you see this behavior? One timestamp for when it appeared as expected and then another timestamp for when it disappeared? I can enable diagnostics for your Core after.

So far so good at the moment for my Sonos setup.
Not had a single disappearing Sonos since the update was installed.
For the last two days I have even moved my Roon core to the end of the network behind a second Mesh AP.

Hopefully it can be fixed for everyone with some additional updates.

1 Like

Yes, can do.
I got kind of tired with the endless sonos / roon issue that arose over a year back now and sold on all my offending devices apart from one play 5. This one is always visible via airplay and that is fine for what I use it for. Replaced the play 1 devices with Bluesound and they have been solid.

Will restart network - rock - sonos later and come back with all timestamps when it has gone AWOL.

1 Like

Hi @noris

Timestamps:

Restart done on 28.10.2022 at 0803 hrs CEST
Play 5 available on sonos streaming after restart as per screenshots below.

Play 5 had disappeared again at 0833 hrs CEST.

This happened whilst the endpiont was playing.
Audio just stopped and get the “select an Audio Zone” button in Roon remote.
Inside Settings - Audio, the play 5 on sonos streaming is not available to select.
Only reboot of ROCK brings it back to the list for picking.

Feel free to run diagnostics to see if you can gather info to help others. As stated in earlier post, I phased out all my remaining Sonos endpoints (that were not Airplay compatible) due to this AWOL issue and am fine with running Play 5 on Airplay. Airplay never fails.

All my other endpoints in the list are very stable and do not go AWOL like the Play 5 on sonos streaming.

Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 08.18.13

Cheers.

1 Like

Hi @ogdens_sliced it’s a pity this is not working yet.
I honestly can’t tell if this release fixed it for me as I already had it working beforehand after resetting my Sonos network once again.

But some questions to you around changes I made (given that this has happened in 3 different releases and I have had to make multiple changes and Sonos resets)

Are you running a Mesh network?
Is your Sonos Wired or wirelessly and is it in a different part of the house to the main AP.

When you look at your about my system in the Sonos app does it show WM0 or WM1. I managed to get all mine running back on SonosNet and on WM0 (excluding one Move) through the Sonos Boost plugged in directly to my main router. I had stability before this release (but only after moving my Core onto the main AP/router as well) but now it is back in my study on the Mesh and has been solid since the update and move.

1 Like

Yes, I run a Synology Mesh network with 1 main router (basement) and 2 access points (ground floor and floor 1 of house).
Have had this setup for last 2 years or so and Roon has been very stable on it with Sonos being stable for some months in-between the last 2 big updates.

My Play 5 was running on WM1 when I posted update earlier today and has been for long time.

Ive just moved a mesh unit out my wifes study and wired the play 5 in to it on faux-LAN.
So it shows as WM0 now.

Will see if it falls over after this.

As Ive said to Noris, I can live with Airplay on the Play 5 as its in my kitchen and I only really stream Dead shows or Talk Radio whilst cooking / eating. Airplay is just fine for that.

Will report back. :v:

EDIT to add: between making the above post and and this editm I went back into Roon remote and the Play 5 on sonosnet had gone AWOL again. So lasted around 5 minutes this time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update and I fully understand the Airplay use, especially if only using one device and I did that for several months myself and used 2 modern Sonos devices to link the old and new together using Airplay without issue.

I truly feel that this has nothing to do with our networks which universally seem to work fine under Sonos/Airplay and Roon without Sonos. It seems to be that Mesh networks and the Sonos/Roon combination struggle in some environments but not all.

I guess that you don’t have a Boost to test on the main router. I did factory reset my devices before plugging the Boost back in and it connected perfectly and has been working great since I did that about a month ago (and after moving the Core down to the main router). Now though all back to the original position in my study and still reliable, but I have had this at times before for sometimes a month.

Just hoping we can give the Roon team enough to build on and get some more improvements in for those still struggling with these issues.

1 Like

No dont have a boost to test. Only have one play 5 now.

Agree that there has to be something odd with roon / sonos. As always, sonos app never misplaces the unit when roon does.

I dont see how it can be a pure home network / mesh issue on this either. Five of my roon endpoints are on my mesh wifi: 1 x pi4, 2 x bluesound, 1 x DAC32 and the Play 5. Only the sonos ever goes AWOL from Roon (as did other sonos units before i sold them).

All non sonos wifi endpoints on same mesh network are stable.

Long live Airplay.