Sonos devices disappearing from Roon

David not 100% sure the two things are related, but given that we have discussed the discovery feature and potential issues there. So possibly there is a link.

Thankfully (selfishly) my Sonos devices are still fully active after almost 12 days and 35-40 hours of music played.

Let’s hope the next version has some stability improvements and fixes all our problems in this area. It’s very telling that not one of us has had an issue with any RAAT devices.

I also experienced the sonos issue after last 1. 8 update.

My sonos devices have now been available for 7 days.

What eventually worked for me was as per this other thread post

Thanks, I’ll start with power cycling my Sonos devices when I get home.

Follow up, power cycling my Sonos (and Chromecast) devices didn’t fix the issue, but replacing the Roon Core on my desktop with a ROCK did. Very weird that my desktop could see the Sonos devices via the Sonos app and could cast the the Chromecast devices but that Roon Core couldn’t.

I guess for now I’ll leave the stand alone ROCK running my Core, seems more audiophile to have a dedicated stripped down machine doing it.

Hi.

I undated my rooncore container yesterday and all my Sonos devices droped off. Both airplay and Sonos network, both S1 and S2 devices.

Managed to get them up by power cycling the Sonosamps but they dropped off again within minutes.

Will try power cycling the whole network shortly.

They’re all WiFi, I run ubiquity APs, switching and routing on vlans and the core is docker container.

No issues before.

1 Like

Hi Gareth Dyalan was going between us and QC on this ticket and he left Roon last week.
@noris has someone taken this over from since Dylan left.

Gareth my setup has been solid for 15 days since the changes I recorded above, even though there was nothing wrong on my network before the last Roon build.

I factory reset the device that was previously connected to the main switch and set it up in a Wireless only setup with no SonosNet in existence and the Boost unplugged.
I have stated this above, but I think there is an issue with the discovery process and I was able to change Sonos IP addresses and they were never found until I restarted the Roon service on Rock.
If you are going to give your whole network a reboot, then make sure you restart your Roon core as well.

Can’t offer much more than that, but I’m hopeful that Roon have some improvements in the next build

Update.

A complete power cycle of the network infrastructure and Sonos gear and the Roon core appears to have done the trick.

All present and correct for a couple of hours now. :crossed_fingers:

Good news lets hope it stays that way.
Sadly it has not for some of the people here.

Same here.

Same issue. Haven’t used my Sonos for months but just acquired a Roam for outside/portable use. Both my old Sonos Play 3 and the Roam dropped off after an hour or so, had to restart Roon Server to get them back.

Max it sounds like Roon are working on something for the near future.
Hopefully it will help a lot of people

Hi. Is there any progress on this issue ? Tried all that has been mentioned in this and other threads without success… thanks.

1 Like

JC hopefully something coming very very soon.
Really hoping that it has been fixed

2 Likes

Still seeing the same issue here after the latest update

Elizabeth I was wondering if this problem was fixed in the latest release but was afraid to ask.
The only quick solution I found was to restart the Roon server process and it would then work for some time again until it happened again.

I will say that I no longer have this issue as I rebuilt my Sonos network and went all wireless so that SonosNet is no longer involved in the mix.

Along with the other changes referenced in the couple of thread’s this worked for me (along with replacing my Sonos Amp with a Bluesound PowerNode in my living room, but it was fixed before this to be fair)

Excellent choice for the BS Powernode
Far better from the Sonos in my point of view
As for the Sonos streaming devices, there is something not reliable. Something wrong in the Roon program to identify them as you know. It was not fixed with the latest release. I don’t really care now as I have no more critical Sonos devices. But this is worrying as it could have happened with other sorts of devices … knowing this issue is definitely resolved will give more confidence …

And I take this opportunity to wish you all a merry Christmas and a fine year end

Best regards

Yes I am enjoying the PowerNode though it’s more because I prefer Roon Ready device’s now that I have three of them.

The Sonos Amp is a very fine device to be fair to it sounded excellent as well. The previous build of Roon had issues with discovery for both Meridian and Sonos gear, I sent copious amounts of logs through the beta process and got the feeling Roon did not care and never looked at it. I might well be wrong, but it felt that way.

I still have four zones of Sonos and I am still a fan of the sound and ease of set-up. My Roon and Sonos is stable and fully reliable but clearly that is not the case for others.

And a happy Christmas and new year to you as well.

1 Like