Sonos Issues : Roon Lost Control of Audio Device

Are any Roon/Sonos users experiencing connection issues, ie increasing incidence of 'Roon lost control of audio device? Possibly since the latest Sonos S2 update (16.0).

My main listening room has a Bluesound Node setup, connected via wifi, via a Rotel amp and Quad speakers. I never experience any problems here - none.

Sonos, however, in the rest of the house is a different matter, particularly in the last few days with constant drop outs, track skipping etc. It would be useful to know whether any other Roon/Sonos users are experiencing anything similar.

I should add that I’ve rebooted Roon several times and also rebooted my Sonos Boost and router.

If you don’t already play to your Sonos via AirPlay, try switching to AirPlay.
Roon via Sonos Streaming can give intermittent errors.

Thanks for the suggestion. It certainly seems to be more stable. The only issue is that I only have Sonos Airplay compatible speakers in one room so multi-room isn’t possible except via Sonos streaming.

I’d review you connectivity Matrix of you your Sonos systems.

http://ipnumber:1400/support/review

Mine would be

http://192.168.1.34:1400/support/review

Then click on Matrix Review

Take a screenshot and post it on here.

Mine is this.

My Sonos Fives are currently set as my surrounds for my Beam Gen 2. I have my Beam connected via ethernet. Green is good. Orange would be ok, but is likely to lead you to trouble with Roon. Red is bad.

Ideally I recommend having at least one Sonos device connected by ethernet. One that is central to the others.

I have successfully operated on full WiFi.

I have been extremely fortunate to never really encounter issues with Sonos and Roon.

Thank you for your help. I can get the list of devices when I enter my ip number etc but I get no result at all when I click on Network Matrix, despite trying on different browsers.
I use a Sonos Boost which is connected to ethernet. All other Sonos devices are wifi. Maybe this is why I can’t access the Matrix Review?

Hi,
we have the same experience after the latest Sonos S2 update.
16bit files seem to be playing fine, but as soon as Roon needs to convert higher bit files (from streaming service or local) to 24bit (highest possible bitrate on Sonos), the music on the Sonos device stops after exactly 30 seconds each time.

The connectivity matrix on the Sonos web-server are all green; so it has nothing to do with network strength, especially because it’s stopping each time after 30 seconds.

I don’t know if that is a bit of the same issue you are experiencing.

Luckily we only use a Sonos speaker in one of the bedrooms, so it is not a hugh deal.

Has anyone managed to fix this yet, I have the exact same issue with my Play 3’s in Stereo Pair, about a month ago i can no longer stream to them via roon (TIDAL streams). They drop out after exactly 30 secs with a “Roon lost control of audio device” error. A few things to note:

• Other Sonos endpoints, even using Sonos stream work OK
  • I can stream to the Play 3s if they’re grouped to another Sonos room (in roon)

I’ve tried the usual resets etc

Any help much appreciated.