Sonos Play 5 Grouped Zones

This issue relates to @Judy_Allen ROCK system. System has a Sony STR-DN1040 Receiver as the main zone. ROCK is connected to the receiver via HDMI for the Main Zone. Receiver and ROCK are connected to network via ethernet. Bedroom has wireless Sonos Play 5s connected to the network via ASUS AC-1700 configured as an access point and connected via ethernet.

Remote Devices are Dell Laptop, an iPad and an iPhone. Sonos regular mode will only Group with the iPad. Sonos (Airplay) will allow Grouping with the Sony Receiver (Airplay) not the HDMI connection. However the Sonos Speakers lose the connection after changing zones and then back again. When this occurs changing to the Grouped Zone, we get signal in the Receiver Zone, but no sound from Sonos, although everything indicates that it is playing. Initially I was able to get it back by a random sequence of disabling the Sonos (Airplay), re-enabling them, and rebooting the ROCK. However in subsequent occurences, I have been unable to get any sound from the Play 5 in the Grouped Zone.

The goal here is to be able to listen to the Main Zone (Receiver via HDMI connection) as a single zone, or to the Sonos Play 5 as a single zone, or to the two zones grouped together any way that it might work, Airplay or Proprietary.

Hello @Terry_Deeb,

You mention that this issue occurs only when grouping SONOS devices with other Airplay zones.
Are the SONOS devices on the latest firmware? If you ungroup them does the SONOS start working as expected?

I think we should take a look at diagnostics here to see if there are any issues being displayed. It may or may not help but can you please reproduce this issue once more and note the exact local time in your country (ex. 2:05PM) that it occurs at?

I also kindly ask for you to private message me the email address associated with the account that is experiencing this issue and the serial number of the ROCK (you can find this information in the WebUI).

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Norris,
The ROCK serial number is 94C691A624D3. This system is @Judy_Allen. Please let me know how to private message you. Sorry, I am unfamiliar.

For this test, I began playing the system on the Sonos Bedroom Zone which is Sonos Play 5 in non-airplay mode. I started at about 5:05pm EST. The Sonos played perfectly. Then I transferred what I was playing to the Grouped Zone which is the Sonos Play 5 in Airplay mode with the Sony Receiver in Airplay mode. The music paused. I hit the Play button and the music played from the Receiver Zone, but no sound from Sonos Play 5. This occurred at 5:07pm EST. At 5:08pm, I transferred the music back to the Sonos Bedroom Zone and the Sonos Play 5 started playing again.

Please give me instructions on private messaging and I will send you @Judy_Allen Roon login e-mail.
Thanks,
Terry

Checking Sonos Firmware now and will report back.

The Sonos Controller needed and update to 10.0. I updated it and ran the same test. At 5:25pm EST, I transferred to the Grouped Zone. Same result. Receiver Zone played, but not Sonos Play 5s. At 5:25pm EST, I transferred back to the Sonos Bedroom Zone and they played fine.

Hello @Terry_Deeb,

Thank you for providing that information. No worries about sending the email address over, I was able to locate Judy_Allen’s ROCK in our internal systems and have enabled diagnostics mode for her account.

I can confirm that your playback attempts have been found and I have started a case for you with our QA team who will be able to take a closer look at the diagnostics.

For future reference, to private message someone on Community, all you need to do is click on the name and then press message, like so:
Terry_Deeb

I will be sure to let you know once I have heard back from the QA team regarding analysis of the issue and appreciate your patience until then.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
Thanks for the private message info. Now that Diagnostics are turned on, would it be helpful for me to reproduce the issue again, or do you have the info needed by QA?
Thanks,

Hi @Terry_Deeb,

We have the necessary information to proceed with the case, no need to reproduce the issue again.
Activating diagnostics mode uploads the set of logs from the Core to our servers for analysis and I have found those playback attempts and have noted them with QA.

As soon as I have more information to share with you regarding this issue, I’ll be sure to let you know!

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
I don’t want to speak too soon, but I believe that the update may have fixed the Sonos/Sony Airplay Grouping issue. In switching back and forth, the Sonos now works every time. Initially, there seemed to be an issue when switching back to the Sony Receiver Direct HDMI connect Zone, but it turns out that the Receiver sticks in Airplay mode. So switching the input and then back again brings the Direct HDMI connect back alive. Hopefully this fix will continue. I will let you know if there are any more problems with this issue.
Thank you,
Terry

Hello @Terry_Deeb,

Glad to hear that the issue appears to be resolved with the update! I’m going to leave your thread open for the time being (just in case you have other info to add or it comes back), but either way, happy to hear about the good progress.

Thanks,
Noris