Sonus Faber Omnia

I had the pleasure of being present for unboxing & playing with the new Sonus Faber Omnia this afternoon, a great experience. The device looks like a item of good quality furniture, modern aesthetics & neutral sound.
The 30 or so minutes included Solo piano, light rock & disco, all were well presented with a neutral sound that showed no deficiencies in the lower registers. This is a really capable device, Roon Ready, and a very attractive alternative to the many boxes that compete in the £1500 price range. Beware Naim, you’ve a serious competitor for the MuSo.

Thanks to Andrew at Truepath Audio for the demo.

3 Likes

Are the ribs on top touch controls?

Not struck by the aesthetics at all, I feel the same for a lot of their speakers to. It will live and die by its feature set and reliability. Have they ever made a streaming product before?

No, they have leds built in which “move” during the power up & connectivity functions. The narrow strip at the front is a status indicator. Control is via the remote or Apps dedicated to the various streaming services.

I do like a rotating device volune control, the Naim being an especially nice one.

1 Like

I certainly think the aesthetics are love or hate but it does look a lot better than the photo’s suggest and is a similar footprint to the MuSo.
This is their first foray into streaming as far as I know.

I’d wait and see how it develops and matures before jumping in. At that price it has to be a stable and seamless experience only time will tell on that front when there are reliable platforms at same or lower cost out there. The Muso and QB being firmly in this category.

Unfortunately I have had some miserable experiences with Muso & QB Naim app.
There is a firmware (?) bug which causes Roon to lose control of volume, and a Bug in the Naim app which loses Rooms, connectivity via wifi is a nightmare but even with both Musos hardwired they still disappear along with the Rooms (even though they are often still accessible from Roon).

That said, I can’t afford to replace them at the moment so have to live with the hassle a bit longer. :roll_eyes:

Really odd, Roon on my Atom is rock solid and they all use the same streaming side of things in the latest gen Kit. The limited amount of time I use the Naim app it’s pretty stable for me. Most discovery issues like Roon tend to be network related rather than the hardware. Have they acknowledged it’s an issue?

Naim support claim there’s “too many devices” on my network! Interestingly I had no problems until the last firmware update, since then it’s a nightmare. I have reduced the number of devices while trying to resolve the issue but not had any success.
There were recognised issues using the app with Bt Smarthubs (Unable to splits SSIDs I believe was the cause) which, they claim Bt fixed with a hub firmware update…

Sounds like a lame excuse to me. How many devices is top many?

Well, in my case, including all network attached devices there are around 50.
That includes the usual network switches, router, amazon/google devices, phones, tablets, watches, light switches etc.
Wifi transmission speeds average around 300MB so no WiFi bottlenecks, ethernet around 140MB & BB connection 79/20MB.
I make the point that the app should not lose “rooms” irrespective of the number of devices connected and as more households will be increasing IOT smart devices they could ultimately render the Naim app ineffective.

Back to the Omnia., has anyone tried them out?

Sonus Faber Omnia I am about to buy this and use it with Roon via an ethernet connection. Should I not believe this to be by Roon end point?

It is Roon Ready, see:-

1 Like

I have been using it for last 7 months and love it. The sound quality is amazing. Had some issues with HDMI, but resolved by firmware update.
Using Roon+QobuZ/local library with it. Overall I am very happy with it.
Though I am not professional in music or musical taste by no means!