SONY NEW WALKMAN ZX500 (ZX507) can't run roon apk or roon essential at play store

Since the ZX500 supports the Android apps, I tried to install a roon apk and roon essential from the play store. Both app can’t run correctly in ZX507. I want to ZX507 play music from ROON controlled network environment like my Mojo+Poly at home or office. Any update recently will improve that? I use the newest app version and server version (ver1.7 build 521).

probably no support for OpenGL 3.0 is my guess

Did you go to the Play Store?

If your Open GL version is not compatible it will say so, at least it did for my Samsung Tab A

There is also a free app that will tell you what Open GL version you are supporting

Log in Play store, only “roon esstion remote” can be searched. There is no ROON app. Therefore, I download the apk from ROONLABS.
I upload a opengl report at http://opengles.gpuinfo.org/displayreport.php?id=4392
It seems not support 3.0. anything I can do ? what software I can install to support ROON?

That means your version of OpenGL -ES is not up to it

I updated as V 1.7 came out and got the message that my device is not compatible , I didn’t go back afterwards. When I go into Play Store I see what you see, the Roon Remote app you should see is simply not there because your Open GL-ES is wrong . Roon Essentials Remote (check out the About this app) is not the App you need to control Roon , that is simply called Roon Remote

Install the app … OpenGL-ES Info from the Play store , its free, it will tell you what implementation you have.

As far as I know its a hardware limitation and there is no software option to fix it . Quite simply the device is useless for Roon Remote, I have 2 Samsung Tab A 6in tablets that are useless. Roon have always had the system requirement for OpenGL-ES 3.0 or greater but only in the 1.7 update did they use components that weren’t backward compatible.

Also you cannot revert to an earlier version of Roon , you , like me are stuffed !!

I was looking at buying the ZX-507 but if it can’t run Roon, it’s a dealbreaker.

They still call it a “walkman”? Lol!

ZX-507 is a good MQA/DSD/FLAC portable player, not too heavy and proper size. It drives earplugs better than big earphones. If you are looking for ROON portable player, I am using the Mojo+Poly now. Much powerful (3x), even driving the Hifiman HE1000 V2,but awful operation interface without a touch screen. acceptable at home/office wifi environment with ROON, but too complex operation when I used in the car. So, I bought a ZX-507 instead. I hope the ZX-507 can compatible ROON near future, but not optimistic. Now I am using minimserver uPNP on NAS or HibyMusic APP on the ZX-507 samba when playing from the local network.

2 Likes

Just got a DX160 instead which seems to run Roon and shares similar qualities tonally. Well supposedly. The jury is out when I receive it.

Oh dear! I just got one of these hoping i could (also) use Roon on it and… no luck. Not sure this can ever be supported with the current Roon code…

I like the DAP otherwise and this is not a total dealbreaker - but love to see the issue addressed by Roon / Sony - at least with a clear statement no matter what that is.

Has anything changed with regards to 507’s Roon compatibility?

Bump. Great sounding DAP, such a pitty that it doesn’t work with Roon :frowning: iphone doesnt work via openvpn so my plan was to use Walkman DAP + openvpn when out of home. Unfortunately faced dead end again.