Sony NW-WM1Z Drivers for lossless DAC play with Roon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Running MAC OS 10.14.5
Roon 1.6 Build 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Sony NW- WM1Z

Description Of Issue
I am now getting lossless play using Sony NW - WM1Z with Roon under MAC OS, but DSD all play converted into PCM.

Please advise

HI Billy,

In order to play DSD in native mode, you would need MAC OS drivers for that device. Such drivers would come from SONY. I did not see any available with a quick search. Have you asked SONY?

Hi @BillyChiu.com,

How is the Sony DAC connected to the Core, is it using USB? Can you please confirm if you have installed the latest firmware for your Sony DAC? have found the link to the Mac DAC drivers here.

Also, what is your current DSD playback strategy? You can find this info by right-clicking on the zone in the bottom right-hand corner of Roon (where it displays the zone name) and then clicking on Device Setup. Please share a screenshot of the Device Setup tab by using these instructions.

Note: It is possible that Sony hasn’t released Native DSD drivers for this DAC on Mac, and a driver is generally needed for native DSD playback.

Thank you for helping

Hi @BillyChiu.com,

I have done a bit more research here and it appears that DSD is only supported when using the Sony Hi-Res Player and you will need to use DSD -> PCM conversion for all other apps. This information has been found on Sony’s website here.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.