Soon to be Released: FiiO R9

So, I don’t usually post about products that haven’t been released, but in case anyone is indecisive about the FiiO R7, and hoping for something just a bit more…the FiiO R9 is about to be launched.

It probably won’t be available as a Christmas present, but probably soon into the New year.

The changes to the R9 from the R7 make it basically a desktop version of the M17, with the two x ES9038PRO chips and quad THX AAA 788+ amplification, with the newer XMOS XU316 USB chipset and HDMI ARC. The screen is larger, removing the control buttons and integrating them into the screen, and it’s higher resolution. Launching with Android 10, but plans to software update to Android 12 in Q1 or Q2 2024.

If you want to read more about it, there is a review on HeadFonics, and on the Head-Fi forums there is a dedicated thread with info from FiiO directly.

Sorry for those that have just got or maybe have a wrapped present under the tree that is the FiiO R7, but not too sorry, since complaining about having the R7 seems pointless, since it is so awesome. But, like I started with…if you’ve been waiting and contemplating, maybe just a little longer and you can get the new R9 :blush:

2 Likes

Here’s a just published review of the FiiO R9 from HeadFonics

2 Likes

I was excited about the R9. But no longer. I have both the R7 and an M17.

As you rightly say, the R9 looks like a desktop version of the M17. And the M17 is awesome. It sounds sublime, is Roon-Ready, and will drive almost anything. But not everything. The M17 can’t drive my HiFiMAN HE6se V2’s satisfactorily (but to be fair, not much can!). So this is where the R7 comes in…

The R7 can drive the HE6se’s well, and it’s also Roon-Ready. It features a less-sophisticated DAC setup than the M17 (and the R9?) but it still sounds damn-good. It’s not far-behind the M17 at all. Yes, the M17 is subjectively better, but it’s close - enough. In fact, the R7 is now my go-to headphone endpoint. It’s that good.

Apparently the R9 will retail for double the price of the R7. And this is where I balk. The attractions of the R7 are many IMO, but the VFM is through-the-roof. This is where the R9 falls-down.

I just don’t see how it could be ‘twice’ as good as an R7? But then again, when was anything rational in this bloody hobby! :rofl:

If it was, we’d all be listening on Amazon Alexa’s and be done with it!

3 Likes

Oh dear ‘Sounds dry with average recordings’ Does the R7 sound ‘wetter’ at half the price?

1 Like

Are we talking about audio or martinis? :rofl: :cocktail: :headphones:

1 Like

I disagree with this review. The R7 displays vanishing levels of ‘distortion’ via its headphone outputs. The THX AAA amplifiers are designed that way, to elicit almost-zero distortion even at full volume.

I would take this review with a pinch-of-salt…

Undoubtedly, you will have to wait. Santa will travel lighter this year!

1 Like

Welcome to the club. Not well written and filled with not very relevant information. But it’s the first review of the R9out there. I’m sure that better reviews will soon follow.

1 Like

Not to be mean or critical of the HeadFonics review or reviewer, but that’s why I didn’t actually link the review in my post. First, forget the fact that I initially got the site name wrong…too much early morning web browsing. Also, secondly, I can’t really argue with a review of a product that I haven’t actually heard yet. BUT… based on other numerous FiiO products that I own and use almost daily, I didn’t see the “dry” aspect being very viable for this device.

They do compare it against the iFi Neo Stream, and how the chipset is implemented is very important, but Burr-Brown and ESS are like apples and pears…similar, but different flavors. Most listeners will enjoy Burr-Brown and relate to it’s warmer, smoother tonality. Others think it tends to be smeared. ESS is usually regarded as a bit crisper and cleaner. Others think it’s too clinical and harsh (or Dry). So, sometimes it really just depends on the style of music that you are enjoying and your own personal preferences.

I have friends that like smoothed out classical music, and others that want the precision and tightness in every note. Similar for Jazz, Rock, Pop, EDM, etc. Variations and options are always good and welcome.

So, personally, I was hoping that the FiiO R9 was going to implement the newest AKM chipset with the AK4499EX and AK4191 variation. I guess I will have to wait for the LTD version :smile:

3 Likes

Synergy with different headphones is also important, which can ‘lean’ the sound signature in different directions.

Head-Fi have a growing thread about the R9:

Will the R9 be Roon Ready right from the start? As of now, it is not officially listed as Roon Ready.

Following on the above discussion, R7 sound signature can vary a lot depending on the chosen combination of second harmonic regulation, gain and headphone output. (“Level 2” second harmonic regulation with lowest gain and 6.3mm output will sound significantly warmer than “Level 0” harmonic regulation with highest gain and 4-pin XLR output.) Assuming R9 offers the same options, I wouldn’t really be worried about its sonic compatibility with various headphones.

I don’t know what is in the Roon cue for certification. Based on how other FiiO products are certified, including the R7, it should be certified soon. FiiO utilizes their own “FiiO Roon” app to enable the device in the Roon Audio Zone devices list. This is necessary to override the standard Android audio settings baked into the OS.

Another write-up from John on his site at Darko Audio, with some of the same basic information and a table that is highlighting the differences between the FiiO R7 and R9. So, not an actual hands-on review yet.

1 Like

Apparently, it’s just been released in China.

But not RR as yet…?

[Note to self: You do not need seven bloody watts into 32Ohms! Who TF does? Just ‘Pass’ :money_mouth_face: ]

1 Like

Apparently owners of these headphones do: Modhouse Tungsten

From this review:

Impedance is quite high for a planar. Make no mistake this is a difficult headphone to drive, you need a lot of gain to get it loud enough. Maybe we’ll put together a list of amplifiers that would be suitable, in my case I’m using the Vioelectric HPA V550 MK2 on the highest gain setting, but I also expect there will be other less expensive options that’ll work.

And here’s a quote from another review:

Ok, let’s address the elephant in the room. These headphones need power to live up to their potential. Not only do they need power, but they also need the right kind of power. I tried the SS with multiple sources both portable and not and they only worked on desktop sources that I tried. The Schiit Jotunheim powers them very well and is a great paring. The Asgard 2 does not have enough power to get them to reasonable listening levels.

1 Like

Well, with specs like these:

You don’t need a headphone amp to drive these. You need this :rofl:

IMG_1050

1 Like

Either that or new FiiO R9!!

1 Like

Looks like quality! :star_struck:

1 Like

What I have yet to see is any information about the quality of the built-in power supply and whether or not the R9 would benefit from an outboard power supply, like the R7 when used with the FiiO PL-50 power supply.