Soon to be Released: FiiO R9

The PL50 also outputs 15V DC, so I suppose FiiO will continue to push it as a natural partner for both the R7 and R9.

1 Like

Looks like I was wrong. Any owners of the PL50 will not be able to use it with the R9.

The R9 requires 15V at 3A. The PL50 can only output 15V at 2A.

So FiiO are gonna have to come up with a new DC power supply for the R9.

Took delivery of this today. Looks absolutely stunning. Still getting to grips with it, will just be using it as a headphone system with my Hifiman Arya Stealth Planars. Early days but it sounds terrific with Electro music in particular, Underworld, Daniel Avery and Leftfield all sound fantastic. One weird anomaly I’ve came across though. The R9 is supposed to be Roon Ready but when I attempted to use it with Roon app on my phone it only sees the FiiO R7 as output device, not R9. Not sure if this is just a naming error by Roon/FiiO or not? FiiO’s blurb says the R9 is Roon Ready, but on the Roon website Partners section it is only the R7 that shows as Roon Ready, R9 is not listed.

2 Likes

What a crock

1 Like

I’m very jealous! Even though I think ( :thinking: ?) I’ve made the decision not to upgrade from the R7 to the R9.

I think the ‘Roon issue’ rests on the fact that fhe R9 hasn’t been Roon ‘certified’ as yet. But it will come soon. FiiO are no slouches when it comes to this.

1 Like

I’m waiting for the R10, with speaker terminals and 80wpc into 8ohms :wink:

4 Likes

Yup, I know Lewis.

Yet another reason not to upgrade to the R9 Mate! :crazy_face:

Cheers Martin. Seems a bit naughty by FiiO to say its Roon Ready if it’s not been officially ratified by Roon, although I seem to remember there was similar shenanigans with the Chord 2 Go when it was launched - allegedly lol.

1 Like

No probs Kevin :grinning:

But FiiO will sort it out for sure. They appreciate how much Roon certification means to prospective buyers. And how important it is to buyers, such as me and you, on this forum.

That’s unlike a certain manufacturer ‘North of the border’ here in the UK :rofl: A manufacturer whom, ironically, I have spent far too much money with in my lifetime!

2 Likes

Hi @Martin_Kelly. This guy agrees with you about the 3A/2A discrepency, but reckons the PL50 works with the R9. Although he says the PL50 doesn’t add anything to the R9 compared to the big increase in sound quality he noticed when it was paired with the R7

(hopefully the video starts at the correct bit where he talks about the PL50, roughly 6mins 30 secs in)

1 Like

Interesting Kevin! :grinning:

I’ve reached-out to FiiO themselves via the Head-Fi forum to see what they say. Once I get a reply (and they’re pretty good at responding) I’ll let you know.

1 Like

But you don’t need to buy one right…:yum:

1 Like

ABSOLUTELY!!! :yum:

1 Like

A review

https://ichos-reviews.com/fiio-r9-review/

This is the response I got to my query from another forum member:

1 Like

FiiO Support have confirmed that in Roon the R9 shows as R7 at the moment. Response from them below

" It’s just a naming error, all the function can works well, we are contacting with ROON to deal with this issue".

1 Like

I really like FIIO as a brand, I have a K9 Pro AKM version, FH7 IEMs and the FT5 planar headphones, but the R9 is not doing it for me aesthetically at all
It just looks cobbled together out of whatever they had to hand at the time.
All subjective obviously, but I’d pass on it for this reason without hearing it.

1 Like

As some reviewers have said it looks incredible when you see it up close in comparison to the pictures which do not do it justice. I totally agree with the reviewers and said so in my post two days ago. It looks even more stunning at night in a dimly lit room when the colours appear on the side panel. All subjective as you say.

1 Like

Looks like the PL50 will work with the R9 after all? DAMN…! :money_mouth_face: :rofl:

2 Likes

Tempted now are you :thinking::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes