Sound quality is impacted by roon on Linn devices

Thanks Evo1668, so it looks like your configuration is as it should be.

And Roon sounds better for Qobuz?

I subscribe to both Qobuz and Tidal. The addition of Qobuz streaming has been a definite plus

1 Like

I too find sound quality better with Tidal through Kazoo than via Roon. I am using Nucleus+ and a KDSM. I suspect the drop in SQ is the price one pays for the other digital wizardry that Roon is doing. Can quite imagine both Roon and Linn saying the stream is ‘bit perfect’, but bits in music it seems are not just bits - hence why Ethernet cables sound different. They shouldn’t, but they do. Same with Roon and Kazoo. Would be great if the discrepancy could be sorted, but suspect it won’t be. I’ve found a happy medium using Roon most of the time, then switching to Kazoo if I want to do ‘serious’ listening.

1 Like

Do you believe you could consistently and reliably pick Kazoo over Roon in a blind test? I’m asking as there could be an element of subconscious expectation bias at play here.

You say in comparison between Roon/Kazoo one sounds definitely better. Yet when mentioning ethernet cables we move to the realms of them sounding different?

I haven’t done any blind testing, no, so bias could certainly play a part. An argument against this though might be that I really didn’t want Kazoo to be better having just paid for Roon! Next time I have a friend over to listen I’ll blind-test them…

Re Ethernet cables, I meant ‘different’ in the sense that some are better than others.

Did quite a lot of back and forth last night in my second system (Akurate DS Katalyst). I still think the difference between Roon and Kazoo is there, but it is pretty small - comfortably less than that between different formats (MP3, FLAC, hi-res) within Roon. As in Roon hi-res still beats Kazoo Tidal hands down. There’s just a slight difference within CD-quality stuff in favour of Kazoo. It feels about equivalent to turning off the DVC in the Akurate - ie small enough to not really bother about.

Cheers Josh -thanks for the doing that - you have reached a similar conclusion to what I arrived at a while back when I first got my Nucleus+ in that a slight difference exists between the two, but as to it actually sounding better? More like a slight difference, which is negligible in the great scheme of things

And you know what isn’t negligible? The inferiority of the Kazoo interface to Roon. Why won’t it ‘play from here’ when one selects a track? Maddening… Hey ho.

It may be perhaps caused by the network configuration, ie going direct for Kazoo vs. passing through the Nuc/Nucleus and the noise it generates ?