Sound quality of Roon build 537 [retracted claim]

No, the bits did not change

Faster album loading is good, but it also means higher CPU core activity with its associated RF and power supply draw that needs to be mitigated. Inuos server owners report similar SQ changes.

As to the sonic changes, here is a report we received

“I have to agree. SQ took a nosedive in my system after the latest Roon update. Transients went soft and gone was the immediacy that I so crave. I couldn’t even bear to listen this evening. Emile just instituted his “emergency fix” on my Extreme and WOW, my system is better than it was before the update.”

So all said and done 537 is a net positive

Who says? Please show your measurements of RF to substantiate your claims.

In any case the CPU load of Roon playing is negligible, if you don’t use heavy DSP. On my little laptop, running Task Manager to find out what Roon is doing loads the CPU more than Roon itself.

3 Likes

You have yet to answer these questions: So, once again, what is your evidence? Where are your measurements of RF produced by different buffer sizes?

I would also posit another question: Why doesn’t the product function acceptably when something as marginal as buffer size changes? Since all electrical and electronic equipment operate in EM fields designers of equipment are ultimately responsible for preventing the negative effects of EMI/ RFI. For a high-end audio component I think it reasonable that this includes degradation of the listening experience. Prevention can only be achieved through simulation and measurement. So where are they?

It is disingenuous to lay blame at software without evidence when you (or the person you represent) control the environment in which it operates.

10 Likes

THIS.

If I was making hardware that can not shield itself from these minor effects, I’d be ashamed of my hardware.

9 Likes

As ones reduces the noise floor of the total system from end to end, then the “minor effects” become more noticeable.

FCC RF emission standards for computing devices are fine for keeping interference to TV sets to acceptable levels, but with high end audio systems the benefits of lower RF emission levels becomes apparent.

The well respected Audio designer, Bruno Putzey has said that for good audio performance, the EMI coming from switched mode power supplies needs to be 30 dB lower than the FCC standard

4 years ago we invested in one of these units, and the fancy additional antennas and preamplifiers that are optional. The RF gets everywhere !

This threat should be a wake-up call to all audiophile disciples.
The emperor shows himself in all his naked glory.
Here would have been the chance to prove superiority, but there is only marketing blah-blah, pseudo-science, vague hints, but obviously nothing substantial.

8 Likes

Happy to lend you our equipment, and you can stick it where ever you think you can’t detect anything.

Lets keep this conversation civil. You have strongly held opinions, I can respect that. We have consistent observations, and some anecdotal measurements which we find informative.

We are just sharing information and observations. I used to believe all cables sound the same, our understandings evolve

1 Like

What are anecdotal measurements?

4 Likes

Really? My Dictionary says: information = 'facts provided or learned about something or someone"
I must read the posts again, because I only remember claims, not facts.

4 Likes

Best. Thread. Ever.

I just love these audiophile rantings. Thank God I don’t have golden ears and just ears that hear music. Music which Roon delivers to my ears with the Best. Sound. Ever!!!

12 Likes

The plural of anecdote is NOT data.

6 Likes

We were sticking probes all over the place on various music servers and computers, and seeing the spectrum of the RF emissions.

To do the job properly we should have taken measurements inside a Faraday cage large enough for the computer, and used a robotic holder for the antenna.

So the measurements we took were not controlled or rigorous, but they were informative

No they were giving you some measurements which you have taken inferences from. None of this is informative ie relaying information.

Am I missing something. An album loads faster but surely once it’s loaded any marginal increase in cpu load will cease and we’ll be back to the nominal load caused by actually playing the album.

And as any album will load in fractions of a second and RF produced (assuming there is any) will disappear. So how does this manifest in a permanent degradation of SQ?

Further, if the Roon software were at fault then surely no amount of vendor hardware tweaking would make any difference?

5 Likes

Hej Edward, It is not my field and I do not pretend to understand the technical details. But I am curious.

What motivated your company to develop the SPECTRAN V5 X? And who are the customers (or at least the category of customers) for whom this device is targeted? And I guess in simple terms what problem is it designed to solve?

1 Like

Okay, that tells me a lot.
A metal computer case IS a Faraday cage :rofl:

5 Likes

We purchased this rather well designed piece of gear

I always wondered who bought the weird rubbish from Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop. Now I have my first inkling…

1 Like

A computer case is a relatively low attenuation performance faraday cage that meets FCC emission standards

A good Faraday cage for RF emissions testing is a large room with solid copper cladding. We have been there and done that too with a robotic Yaggi antenna, costs about $ 3,000 per day to rent

Ah! Ok. So I guess I am asking who are the typical customers of the device? What is the device typically used for? I get that your group found an application but I doubt it was designed for the small audiophile community. Please take the question in the spirit it is intended. I mean no criticism, implied or otherwise. Just genuinely curious. I had no idea such a device (or maybe even class of devices) existed.