Sound quality of Roon build 537 [retracted claim]

Anyone for whom this is not enough should not have a smartphone or refrigerator within a radius of 50 meters.

1 Like

The big customers for the RF spectrum analyzers of this company are military contractors working with radar and microwaves. The next group of customers are car makers. We are the only audio customer we know of. Germany does not have any mobile phone developers anymore, so no customers that field

FWIW, we can hear an Apple iphone charger when its plugged into the same circuit as the audio system

As true as the other claims.
Three german mobile phone developer I remember:

1. Shift
  2. Carbon Mobile
  3. Blloc
2 Likes

In general terms, what do military or car manufacturers do with the measurements from such a device that has something in common with what high end audio manufacturers and software developers are trying to achieve?

So what? RF doesn’t matter if it doesn’t change the bits. This is a server, not a player.

5 Likes

This conversation is totally out of hand. Ladies and Gentlemen please…
The fact still remains that the latest update for some had ever so slightly decrease in Sq. You can’t measure Sq. Also buffers do make a noticeable difference as well… So experiment and find out for yourself if you are interested…

It’s fascinating, in a can’t look away from a car crash way.

11 Likes

I am fairly confident that a lot of roon users did not hear a difference. It’s only low noise floor systems that will exhibit a noticeable difference.

The SNR of the TotalDAC D1-12 is about - 150 dB

The SNR of the Audionet electronics we use is around - 135 dB

Then a difference is noticeable

Is it sensible to have a low noise system, that is a judgement for each audiophile. There are highly enjoyable systems with a SNR of - 65 dB. On such a system, it is highly doubtful that a SQ difference would be discernable

“fact”

5 Likes

Well of course you would! That’s a given. The question is how does clocking or specific frequencies–which I assume you identified using FFT–couple with the outside, e.g. USB and other outputs on the SGM Extreme? What goes on inside that lump of aluminium doesn’t really matter if it stays there.

I have yet to be troubled by vampires after using Vampire Repellent. Just saying…

10 Likes

Inconceivable.
Bringing out the classics now I see. :crossed_swords:

Guess who else has an Aaronia SPECTRAN RF analyzer? I do. You cannot make an appeal to authority just because you have an RF analyzer. Others do, too.

The onus is on you to show how you used the RF analyzer (experimental method) and what you found (experimental results). A good understanding of free space RF attenuation also is important.

A cellular antenna on a building 200 m from me is emitting a 20 MHz carrier of 2100 MHz spectrum at a transmitted power level of approximately 20 W (~43 dBm), yet the received power level at my location only 200 m away already has been attenuated to 0.000000000001 W (-90 dBm). Trillions of times weaker.

Inverse square law, man. RF path loss is massive. Even an exceedingly small distance can reduce RF interference to negligible levels. You cannot go sticking RF probes just anywhere and hope to get usable data – unless your goal in the first place is to use that data to foment an RF bogeyman.

AJ

9 Likes

I was wondering when the appeal to ignorance would turn up. We’ve already had appeal to authority, non sequitur, inconsistency … do I detect baloney?

3 Likes

AJ,

If you have the opportunity and interest, take some measurements of the RF 1 meter away from the computer case at the various clock frequencies and their harmonics. Also the emissions next to the power cord

Again measurements. But so what? What measured ill effect are these perfectly normal emissions having?

Charging 24.000 euros for a music server that has a 20 core processor but can’t handle anything more then just playback of a single audio file without otherwise compromising audio quality sounds like a very bad deal to me. For this kind of money I expect that this is exactly the area that has been adressed by a purpose designed motherboard, not an of the shelf motherboard with some industry grade pheripherals. Offcoarse the defence will be that the designer has spent thousands of hours making the correct settings, etc etc. Come up with measurements, that’s the only way you can make any of this believable. Subjectives, gutfeeling, fingerspitzengegfuhl etc etc is not enough. RF can be measured, you claim you did, please publish the results and for the love of god share your findings directly with the Roon team and stop talking in subjectives.

I have written this before and I still can highly recommend a simple test to anyone to try. Just listen to some music like you normal do. Then load your processor with eveything you have, just make sure it hit’s almost 100% load and listen again. Something changed? I have done this test many times and there was only one guy who thought he heard a tremendous difference but that was when nothing changed, he was only told something changed, go figure. Second test. Olay some music via another source, be it a turntable, CD player, whatever. Turn on your server next to it with full 100% CPU load and listen. Now turn off the computer, unplug everything, sent it to the other end of the world by airmail and listen again (no in another room is not far enough, it takes thenthousands miles and a month of air cleaning before the negative impact of just the physical presence of the computer has vanished, everyone knows that) . Any changes? If not in both cases you don’t have any problem, no need to find any cure. If yes, try to determine where exactly the problem lies. Most of the time it is down to an inproper grounding scheme. A lot, and I mean a lot of very expensive tweaks out there do nothing more than making little changes in your grounding scheme, something that can be done with some thinkering and for 20 cents or by believing an audio guru and send him hundreds or even thousands for a cure, it’s all up to you but as long as it makes you enjoy your music.
But paying 24.000 for a server that is very highly dependant on tiny little tweaks to flip between unlistanable and best ever…nah, not me, I am highly allergic to such claims, it only raises the question why you choose to use a computer in the first place if ultimate sound quality is the only goal and why Roon and not any other low impact player that only loads your 20 core pc to 0.01%

This reminds me of years ago when Foobar2000 became all the rage. Many people claimed it was superior in sound quality while the software coders themselves claimed there couldn’t be any difference with other software. Nonetheless they got accused of making it sound worse each and every update, even when they explicitely claimed nothing had changed in the playback engine, just some UI bugfixes and even though they still claimed it should sound exactly the same as any other playback software out there, which in fact was true, at least to my ears.

Tremendous claims ask for tremendous prove. Please post you RF measurements, please prove us all wrong.

12 Likes

I don’t need a system there the noise is not even audible for a bat in a acoustic clean room.
For all other use cases a SNR of -100 dB is more than enough and that is a normal value for most inexpensive devices.

So with your statement ‘It’s only low noise floor systems that will exhibit a noticeable difference’ I have to recommend not to buy such a ‘low noise floor system’ to avoid the unwanted ‘noticeable differences’.
No disadvantages and no problems.

5 Likes

Very Cool, I had no idea