Sound quality: USB vs. Ethernet (LAN)

Then it’s not standard compliant. I would stick with standard compliant cables to avoid surprises or performance degradation.

2 Likes

Indeed. Before going to SFP/fiber with the Cisco switch and 2021 Klimax support, I was using standard CAT6 patch cables.

2 Likes

Yes, but readily available (at least in the US) refurbished, at the link I shared earlier and elsewhere. I know Linn recommends the GS105, it works reliably, but what I described sounds a bit better, at least with the 2021 Klimax streamers I own.

1 Like

I also have a Linn Klimax DSM/3, and I am using Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L Catalyst 2960 8-Port 10/100/1000 Ethernet Switch with optical ethernet out. However, this Cisco switch also works great with copper ethernet, it has a very good built-in power supply.

For cable, I recommend Blue Jeans CAT 6A.

1 Like

@QuinnT - Is the “Cat 6a Patch Cords–BJC C6AP - Bonded Pairs, Cat 6a, 500 MHz; Rated CMR for installation” a CAT6a U/UTP cable?

THX :slight_smile:

1 Like

Per Blue Jeans:

The Cat 6 is not shielded. The 6A is a special case: it has an absorptive shield for minimizing alien crosstalk. In this type of shield configuration, the shield is not grounded at the plug ends – rather, noise currents in it attenuate and cancel in the shield itself rather than being shunted to ground. So the 6A appears unshielded from the outside – it has unshielded plugs at each end – but it does have this unusual type of shielding underneath the jacket.

So in short maybe you want CAT 6 (as opposed to CAT 6A).

1 Like

This is something I wish I realized much ealier. Switched to unshielded CAT6 UPT cables almost a year ago and my network streamer sounds a lot better since then. Shielded cables are a no go for audio applications.

2 Likes

@iliketohideincloset - THX :slight_smile: Some thing like this:

So " Cat 6 Patch Cords–BJC C6P" would be better?

Cat 6 Patch Cords--BJC C6P

I just got a cheap 5,- EUR 5m CAT6 UTP off of Amazon.

If one (or both) RJ-45 socket is plastic/isolated all this talk about screened or not patch cables is irrelevant.

2 Likes

„Better“? Better for what? These special cables are made for very specific applications.

Per @mikeb said.

By the way - I did ask Blue Jeans what they would recommended = CAT6

Thanks for all your great comments. I will try CAT6 from Blue Jeans.

2 Likes

If you get the chance of lending an Audioquest Vodka Ethernet cable - give it a try and see the difference you hear.

Not cheap - 599 € 1.5 Meter :frowning: And CAT7.

Do you use it between your Roon Core and DAC?

I would advise against it, personally I think these kind of cables are some kind of snake oil, but this is only my personal opinion. Others think otherwise.

Sometimes, psychoacoustics can play a significant role on how we hear and listen.

6 Likes

This has the shield not grounded at the plug ends so not connecting grounds of both devices.

Yes use it in the most important spot which is streamer and DAC.

@QuinnT So you did listen/compare to the Vodka cable?!

Been there, done that (including the ER), not sounding better, maybe worse.

4 Likes

Then you are one of the rare lucky users in the HiFi world who get their satisfied output from standard / cheap components.